It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(news) No Men Wanted?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Wells College in Aurora, NY, has been an all-female institution of higher learning since its founding in 1868. Next year, Wells College will begin to accept male students and the females are not pleased. The college maintains that it cannot survive without more students and since only three percent of the female college-age population choose to attend female-only institutions, males are their only option. Some students have already filed lawsuits.

www.foxnews.com
Wells College is one of the smallest institutions for higher learning in the U.S. It's also one of just a few dozen left whose students are all female.

That may soon change.

The Wells College Board of Trustees recently decided to admit men for the first time since the school was founded in central New York in 1868, and many of the young ladies who enrolled at Wells aren't happy about boys moving in.

There was a six-day 60's style sit-in at the school's administration building after the decision was announced, attracting more than half of the 390 or so students, and a protest march through the tiny town of Aurora to fight the move to co-ed, which is scheduled to begin next fall.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

After more than a generation of transforming nearly every male-only institution in America, now a formerly female-only institution finds that its survival depends on going coed, and the women are up in arms. In my time, I've seen the military and naval academies go coed. I've seen warships forced to accommodate females. I've seen all-male clubs forced to accept females and the list could go on for pages.

Now, the shoe is on the other foot and some students believe that it would be better to see the school close than to see it go coed. Of course, this is not a new trend. Those who have chosen to break down barriers have often selectively chosen which barriers to attack, leaving their own domains intact.

All I can say is that it's a brave new world, ladies. Welcome aboard!

Related News Links:
www.wells.edu
www.capitalnews9.com
www.cbsnews.com
www.dailyillini.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Discrimination in HS sports
Women in the militar is no different then Women in the Men's bathroom.

[edit on 4-12-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 04/12/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
If Wells is a private college then they have every right to discriminate their membership, or as in this case, open it up men. Similar to the Augusta golf club who has no intention of ever allowing a woman to become a member.

The reason the military academies were required to open their doors to women was because they receive federal funding. Huge distinction that needs to be pointed out here.

If the female student body of Wells does not want men to enroll then their parents better start fund raising or start endowing the school themselves.

Just my 2cents.
B.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
After more than a generation of transforming nearly every male-only institution in America, now a formerly female-only institution finds that its survival depends on going coed, and the women are up in arms. In my time, I've seen the military and naval academies go coed. I've seen warships forced to accommodate females. I've seen all-male clubs forced to accept females and the list could go on for pages.

Now, the shoe is on the other foot and some students believe that it would be better to see the school close than to see it go coed. Of course, this is not a new trend. Those who have chosen to break down barriers have often selectively chosen which barriers to attack, leaving their own domains intact.

All I can say is that it's a brave new world, ladies. Welcome aboard!

Hey, when you're right you're right. That is exactly what is happening here and personally I'm shocked it even took this long. I remember when their was a big fuss over some girl who wanted to play Football with the guys and finally they had to let her. There are a million different examples from jobs to clubs and so on that have had their day in court over females wanting 'In' on the action.

Well, now it's the other way around and they are just going to have to deal with it. I realize that not all women support the 'Women's Movement' the same way. In fact I know plenty of women who think it flat out sucks that the idea of chivalry is dead and that it was other women who killed it for the rest of them. However, what's done is done and the worst thing to do now is to come off looking like a hypocrite. They would be much better off just letting this thing run it's course like every other section of society that has gone through this as well.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Going there a guy would probably die of estrogen overdose.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I would project that the atmosphere will be nearly intolerable for the first few years. Much of the rancor stems from the sudden change and at least some of those who cling so stubbornly to the same-sex model will not be able to transfer for a number of reasons.

I would suggest that the men who matriculate to Wells College in 2005, have a strong sense of self and bring their girlfriends with them or look for girls in town.

[edit on 04/12/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Well, the argument they are using is that when they enrolled, they were under the belief it was a women's only institution and therefore, they should be able to continue their education there with it being a women's only institution. But, well, this isn't a sudden change, they aren't changing it in mid-semester, and well, they have been given plenty of time to find an alternative college if they don't like Well's plans. So, I really don't understand what the problem is. I think it's a private college, really. So, well, they are making a business decision with the motivation of keeping the school alive, any way they can. Some of the students might not like the idea, but I don't believe they should or can for that matter, prevent this college from going co-ed if that is what they believe will keep them in the black.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I am in a position to agree with Grady.

They'll get over it as soon as some nice looking guys start asking for dates~

top topics

join