It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff urges residents of Harnett county to arm themselves to battle crime.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Sheriff Larry Rollins told the crowd that the violence is fueled by gangs and drugs. He urged everyone to protect themselves, saying he doesn't go anywhere without a gun.

"When I am out with my family, even though I am a cop, I don't go anywhere without a gun," Rollins told the crowd. "I mean it's sad we have to have that attitude, but I am going to protect myself and my family. I want my deputies at your house just as fast as they can when you got a problem, but you better be able to take care of business until we get there if you have to protect your family."

link to story

This is the area I lived in when I first came to NC. Back then it was very rural and the worst thing you had to worry about where a few houses of ill repute. Now, the population has boomed and with it, came the gangs. It's sad that the Sheriff asks the public to arm themselves, but it's good advice. As long as the folks arming themselves have some common sense and practice with their weapons.

And before anyone claims this is how the whole US is, it's not. This is an isolated part of one county. Most of harnett county is farm land and small towns. It's a very quiet place.
edit on 5-8-2014 by network dude because: removed failed video link attempt

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

edit on 5-8-2014 by lonweld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Did this guy really just tell people they should carry loaded guns? Can he do that? It sure sounds like that's what he's suggesting. When the first innocent bystander gets caught in the crossfire and is killed he loses his job ... at least.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I remember a Sheriff near St. Louis told people to arm themselves last year because of the gang violence.

Here in central Hellinois it's pretty damn bad too. Glad we finally got CCW.

I don't ever want to shoot someone, but I sure don't want to be a victim either.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

We had the same problem in our small city. We never had the shootings and home invasions like we now have since gangs from Detroit moved in. Heroin is running rapid and kids are over dosing and dying. Someone on ATS wrote a thread about gangs should be considered terrorists. I have to agree, considering they create terror in neighborhoods, they recruit and damage innocent children, they deal drugs and guns, and they tear the fabric of our society.

Before people could walk in the neighborhoods these gangs settled in, Now people avoid these areas whenever possible. I had a nice young man in my class who lived in these neighborhoods. He talked to me about how the Detroit gangs are recruiting kids on our east side. He told me he's always looking over his shoulder when he walks down the street for fear of being jumped, robbed, or shot at. He told me he was going into the service because he would rather lose his life for his country rather than on the street. It's pretty sad when kids and neighbors have to walk in fear in their own neighborhoods.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
He is right, it is a sad day for us, those that live it what used to be the quiet, rural, farming communities.
Where I am, it isn't so much the gangs, (Although they are only about 1/2 hour south), it's the meth.

We have had more than one meth house busted out here. And it seems to be because someone is knocking on the wrong house at 2 am. Luckily for them, it has only resulted in the cops being called so far.
edit on 5-8-2014 by chiefsmom because: my awesome spelling skills, yet again

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
And these powerful words are spreading all over the country!

5-Year-Old Shoots, Injures 3-Year-Old in Colorado

All I really mean is...please be careful with your guns. Thank you.
edit on 8/5/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

I seem to remember hysterical comments about the home is your castle law also..

I don't recall seeing the streets run red with blood in these places.

Sherriff makes a valid point... when lives are on the line and seconds count the police are just minutes away.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

nothing "hysterical" about my comment IMO...I happen to agree with the good sheriff! He just put himself on the chopping block is all I'm saying.

Believe me, work in and commute through Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland) everyday - I'm all for protecting yourself!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I wonder why nobody has pushed for that? They sure fit the description of terrorists.

I carry, but like others have said, I sure have no desire to take another's life. But to protect my family, I would have to deal with that fear.

It's sad how precious life used to be and how insignificant it seems to be today with our youth. I just don't comprehend how anyone could not care about how violent they were towards another human being.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Nothing is done on a federal level about gangs because they are predominately black and hispanic. You can bet if they were predominately white it would be seen as a national emergency and billions would be spent to eradicate them. They are indeed domestic terrorists, they are just the wrong color to do anything about. When there is a terrorist attack in this country look at how much time and money is wasted in an attempt to tie it to some white, patriotic, Christian group. a reply to: WeRpeons

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I know what you mean and I sure don't want idiots with guns running rampant either, but knowing that most folks probably have a weapon will go a long way in deterring some of this random crime. (lets just hope we don't have to find out it was a bad idea the hard way)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Good ole Uncle Joe told ALL Americans to buy a shotgun and blast away through a door.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oudoceus

Nothing is done on a federal level about gangs because they are predominately black and hispanic. You can bet if they were predominately white it would be seen as a national emergency and billions would be spent to eradicate them. [/post]

Then you can go and spry paint them with white so the government will have a reason to eradicate them. lol

P.S. Pun so intended

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Who's committing all these crimes there? It can't be all "gangs". The cops should figure that out and go after them instead of expecting the citizens to do it. But I agree. Always carry a gun with you. You never know when you might have to save you and your families life from some degenerates.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: WeRpeons

I wonder why nobody has pushed for that? They sure fit the description of terrorists.

I carry, but like others have said, I sure have no desire to take another's life. But to protect my family, I would have to deal with that fear.

It's sad how precious life used to be and how insignificant it seems to be today with our youth. I just don't comprehend how anyone could not care about how violent they were towards another human being.

Because...
There are too many people at all levels of our society that count on gangs for what they need/want.

To label them terrorists means they might effectively get dealt with and suddenly the revenue from their criminal activities dries up. Suddenly the justification for law enforcement budgets go away. Suddenly the political platform of empty promises of "fixing our towns/cities" isn't available.

Basically, those in power (all levels) need various instances of the boogieman.
edit on 5-8-2014 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
..double post, please delete.
edit on 5-8-2014 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Taking care of business is what they made body bags and backhoes for.

I had a Sheriff in a rural county of calif tell me if a criminal broke in to shoot them roll them up and bury them deep and don't call his office because it would be a community service, would save his department money and officers time,
and likely send a warning to his criminal friends when he was never seen again.

This Sheriff told me what many cops know for a long time, that a large number of people on missing persons posters and missing persons reports to the cops have long criminal records and a good number for home break ins.

The first thing his department did when they got a missing persons report was to run the missing persons criminal record.
They had a high priority for looking for people with no criminal record. And did not waste time on criminals with long records.
edit on 5-8-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I know what you mean and I sure don't want idiots with guns running rampant either, but knowing that most folks probably have a weapon will go a long way in deterring some of this random crime. (lets just hope we don't have to find out it was a bad idea the hard way)

'Nuff said.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
And these powerful words are spreading all over the country!

5-Year-Old Shoots, Injures 3-Year-Old in Colorado

All I really mean is...please be careful with your guns. Thank you.

"The shooting comes less than a week after a 5-year-old girl in Idaho died when she was accidentally shot by another 5-year-old."

good thing they didn't have a hammer nearby. it could have been worse.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join