It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uganda anti-gay law declared 'null and void' by constitutional court

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Gay rights activists in Uganda and around the world are celebrating a decision by the country's constitutional court to strike down a widely condemned anti-gay law on a legal technicality.

A panel of five judges ruled on Friday that the speaker of parliament acted illegally when she allowed a vote on the measure despite at least three objections that not enough MPs were in attendance.

"The speaker was obliged to ensure that there was quorum," the court said in its ruling. "We come to the conclusion that she acted illegally."

Uganda anti-gay law declared 'null and void' by constitutional court

I saw this article today and it made me so happy.

When I had originally heard about the law possibly being passed I was worried, humans were going to suffer because some other humans have a different opinion. When the law was passed, I was very disheartened. It made me super thankful that I was born in Canada, a country where you don't often get beat, raped & murdered for being LGBTQ+ Sure it still can happen hear but it's not a widespread problem like in other countries.

I hope that LGBTQ+ people in Uganda won't have to suffer as badly as they have been.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Great news for the LGBT community there. My wife did an interview with the members that made the documentary "Call me Kuchu" which was about the mess over in Uganda. It was really amazing talking to him and getting to meet him.

Still Evolving Talk Show: Call Me Kuchu

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This makes me very happy, especially since it's a positive change from a country that exists in a continent known for rather primitive thinking. Way to go humanity, one step closer to global LGBT equality, there may still be thousands of steps to go, but it is still a step forward. Bravo Uganda.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Darn.. what a big Blow this is to the straight community. I didn't agree with killing innocent folks because they have this mental disorder but now that they stopped the killing control mechanism what controls will they put in place next?

For those who don't get it.. Uganda MUST have some controls because they have huge problems with the spreading of STD's and other diseases through the gay community. If killing them isn't the answer they have to do Something.

At least Russia still has a strong anti-gay stance perhaps they won't be deterred.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

You're joking right?

Your post is simply riddled with irony, sarcasm, and hyperbole right?

Please tell me that this is the case, otherwise, you have just posted the most blatantly ignorant statement I have seen in a very long time. BTW some "controls" that can be used to limit the spread of STD's are called condoms, you may have heard of them before. Awareness of birth control/disease control methods in Africa are frightening low, so there you go, teach them about using protection....

So yeah, thanks for your rather "special" post.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

How about promoting safe sex, just as you would do in the non-gay community?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The day someone thought this was a great idea to teach to my 12 year old daughter without my consent at her primary school was the day I lost all interest in anything to do with Gay rights etc... I simply couldn't care what happens to them anymore... If they don't like it, well I don't like this crap being pushed on my children either...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

What did they teach your child?

Just trying to understand.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Osiris1953

probably that gay people are well people and normal and should not be stigmatized for their lifestyles ,something fundies tend to get offended at at the drop of a hat omg my child knows gay people exist my life is over woe is me how will i live my life knowing my children are aware of homosexuals etc as you know once they know being gay is normal and should be tolerated and treated with dignity and respect it will override all the parental propaganda they have been trying to instil in their children . least thats how i took their comments .

more on topic good for Uganda laws like this have no place in modern times hell even the Romans as barbarous as they were during their time still didn't care who was gay comparatively and that was over a thousand years ago

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

Sadly only struck down on a technicality. The ruling wasn't that the law broke any individual rights only that proper procedure wasn't followed. Not sure if there is much to stop the law being passed again.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy

The day someone thought this was a great idea to teach to my 12 year old daughter without my consent at her primary school was the day I lost all interest in anything to do with Gay rights etc... I simply couldn't care what happens to them anymore... If they don't like it, well I don't like this crap being pushed on my children either...

God forbid your child learns to be more tolerant & accepting than you are. If you are so against peace & tolerance than just pull your child out of school now. It is important for children to learn about LGBTQ+ because there are going to be LGBTQ+ children who will learn about themselves. It will also hopefully teach tolerance to those who are heterosexual. Either way, it's beneficial to all children, especially those who come from hateful & ignorant homes.

I was shocked by your post but then I saw you were from Down South so that explains all the hate & ignorance.

Build up walls for your child

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Sadly only struck down on a technicality. The ruling wasn't that the law broke any individual rights only that proper procedure wasn't followed. Not sure if there is much to stop the law being passed again.

Better a technicality than letting it continue to be law. I'm hoping if they try to pass it again, there will be more opposition & it won't be passed.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I really hope you are correct. Not sure i share your confidence.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
A very small step for the world when it comes to LGBT rights, but still a really good one.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnPhoenix
Darn.. what a big Blow this is to the straight community. I didn't agree with killing innocent folks because they have this mental disorder but now that they stopped the killing control mechanism what controls will they put in place next?

For those who don't get it.. Uganda MUST have some controls because they have huge problems with the spreading of STD's and other diseases through the gay community. If killing them isn't the answer they have to do Something.

At least Russia still has a strong anti-gay stance perhaps they won't be deterred.

As a trans man, all I can say is that your line of thinking scares me a lot. Killing people is never the answer, and it's certainly not a "control mechanism". We are all people who deserve the right to live our lives.

Besides, I'm sure the "straight community" will survive this "blow".

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

This is great news from Uganda. Its a shame that this will probably only stand for a while as they will probably revote.
Its a won war, but a small battle victory is nice.

Here it is straight from the horses mouth on what is going on in Uganda. This is an interview with John Oliver that Pepe Juilian from Uganda did. It helps paint a picture of the situation there .

Part 1

Part 2

Now if you don't believe in gay rights per sey or think its a sin that should be purged from this earth you may want to carry on and not view the interview. Unless you want an idea on how things are portrayed in Uganda for these guys and the types of smear campaigns that have been run against them. Food for thought.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

I really hope you are correct. Not sure i share your confidence.

Kind of a "buying time" move. This law was condemned by every human rights group worldwide.

Wiser minds in Uganda want to move forward politically, not backward.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CitizenJack

Thank you for sharing those videos. I've seen a couple clips from John Oliver's new show and I must say I really enjoy it.

Jamaica is another country where LGBTQ+ have a very hard time. I've heard some horrible stories of what some people had to endure.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP
A very small step for the world when it comes to LGBT rights, ...

Or, as I prefer to call them, HUMAN RIGHTS.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnPhoenix

Russia does NOT have a strong anti gay stance, they aren't killing gays. They don't want them displaying things in public when the majority are not gay and children might be influenced. Its more about No Gay Parades.

And your whole post, WHAT THE HELL?

You don't get to single out a group who are born one way to pretend you are protecting public and murder them or act against their constitutional rights. ITS EVIL. Period. I'd rather the whole world went home with a sudden super nova than have it continue to fight and struggle tooth and nail at the hands of evil leaders to actually be HELL.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join