It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you fix the border problem?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: justanothermember

Which part do you not like?

Hiring border patrol?
Patrolling our borders?
or deporting illegals?

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

I definitely like your perspective. I had a conversation with a friend the other day along those lines and we came up with some interesting outcomes.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I am loving all of the replies so far. Everyone of them has let me stretch my brain and has brought some excitement to an otherwise dull day at work.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Fixing illegal immigration is easy, fine anybody that hires undocumented workers. Second offense gets jail time.
Eliminate any funding for people without social security numbers or immigration papers. When they can't make a living here or feed themselves they will stop coming here.

This is a band-aid at best. It would cripple the already weak and struggling American economy. Cheap labor is basically keeping the US afloat - even if it is an illusion.

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

Fixing illegal immigration is easy, fine anybody that hires undocumented workers. Second offense gets jail time.
Eliminate any funding for people without social security numbers or immigration papers. When they can't make a living here or feed themselves they will stop coming here.

This is a band-aid at best. It would cripple the already weak and struggling American economy. Cheap labor is basically keeping the US afloat - even if it is an illusion.

It isn't keeping millions of unemployed afloat. All this cheap wage crap is only taking advantage of the illegals and not doing a thing for our unemployed.

Stop the jobs and any benefits, welfare etc. and they will not have a reason to come in droves. Pay the citizens a living wage or lose your business. There is such a thing as making a profit and being greedy. I once worked for a very rich company that had plants all over the world and they preferred to hire illegals for cheap wages.

We did ok without millions upon millions of illegals before, we can do it again.

When prices keep rising on an tem I usually buy, I either find it elsewhere for a reasonable price or stop buying it.
edit on 30-7-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Since the country in recent years looks more like the old soviet union or nazi germany you guys may as well build your own berlin wall ...

posted on Jul, 30 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasSeabee

The Great Wall of China worked for the Chinese for quite a while.

I think an electronic wall with helicopters, trucks and boats to respond to intrusions. By electronic wall I mean sensors.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

I think there should be no borders of any country as well but that causes issues of its own. So not really no borders but just borders being more open. Only keep out people unwilling to work and do not have anyone they need to be with in another country. Keep out heavy criminals unless keeping them working but do not allow them to cross a border to avoid punishment for a serious crime.

People who want walls and guns are crazy and fearful. If borders are more open it will be unstable at first but eventually some countries will start having to function like businesses and become competative. Their laws will change in order to bring people back to their country. It would improve all worlds governments.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
If we ended the war on drugs and ban the CIA from operating in central and south america. The drug cartels and a lot of other regional problems would end.

I would also do what I could to encourage free trade between the US and the other countries in the americas because as these countries get richer less people will want to flee.
edit on 3172014 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I don't understand why people want to spend all the money it'd take to build and maintain a giant wall when we can solve the problem and save money at the same time.

The soloution to every problem seem to be waste more money. Were pissing our inheritance (western wealth) down the drain with nothing to show for it!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: monkofmimir

Spoken like true pie in the sky.

Are you suggesting that coc aine be legalized? While I understand the thinking, and there is much to be said the truth is that coc aine will not be legalized anytime in the next 20 years. Marijuana was popular back in the 60s and 70s and look how long it took for organized efforts to get it legalized in a few localities/states. Cocaine is a horse of a different color and there is no organized effort to legalize it. I think realistically 20 years is a pipe dream.

Honest and realistic answers are needed.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

World govt? Wow...talk about corruption, bureaucracy, politics and a wasteful, bloated govt!!

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The OP asked what we would personally like to see done to solve the problem.

What I’m suggesting is a effective solution that will actually save lives and money in the process.

Building a bigger wall isn’t either honest or realistic. A border the size of the US/Mexican border will always be too large to effectively seal off unless we spent obscene amounts of money on a project that will only further impoverish the US. and even if this neo-great wall works if people are really that desperate new ways to circumvent the wall will be quickly discovered and utilized.

Frankly I can’t see anything realistically productive happening with the Mexican border any time soon. So we might as well accept that things probably won’t change in the next 20+ years anyway.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: monkofmimir

A solid physical wall.... you are indeed correct. Not feasible by any measure. An electronic one is much more efficient and matched with boats, planes, helicopters and ground vehicles it could be done. Considering the equipment already in possession of the National Guard in the affected states, it could be done fairly cost effectively. We just might need to buy a few more boats to patrol the Rio Grande.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: mwood
Build a large canal along the border from the Gulf to the Pacific hiring any immigrants who wanted the job. After completion of project they can have full citizenship.

Since we no longer have ownership of the Panama Canal it would give a new shipping lane along the southern border of the country and create thousands of jobs.

The canal could be patrolled by Coast guard and Border patrol.

It would bring sea water to 4 of the driest states (NM, TX, AZ. southern CA.) who could build desalinization plants to produce fresh water. ( hundred - thousands of more jobs created)

It would give a legitimate opportunity to people who wanted to be citizens to become one.

Once the border was sealed and SECURED to stop the never ending flow into the country then I would offer citizen ship to all the illegals already here after they registered and under the agreement that for 10 years they would keep a clean police record and gainful employment. They would not be able to receive ANY type of government assistance for the first 5 years

Any felony would be an automatic deportation and you couldn't just walk back again because the border is better secured now. Come back after deportation and it's an automatic 20 years in prison.

I am sure many will find fault with this plan but I feel it's better than any out there. It would give those wanting to live here a way to do it legally. Realistically there is no way to get the ones out that's already here and I would be willing to help them become citizens under certain condition stated above. If you come here to work, fine but we don't need anymore career welfare recipients and criminals. There's enough of those already.

The canal would also help Mexico's industry with the shipping access should they care to use it.

I am not racist and like having them be able to come here for a better life

Britain has that......we call it the channel.

Guess what it dosnt work......Immigrants still pour through.

Is the channel patrolled?

How many come through there by crossing it? Is it in the hundreds of thousands like our border? Were up in the millions now.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Since the country in recent years looks more like the old soviet union or nazi germany you guys may as well build your own berlin wall ...

HAHAHA, that's funny.....

Wait, your right.....

damn.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677
I said worlds governments. As in all the governments in the world. Not a single world government. Each country would becomeompetative with rights and benafits for the people in order to prevent full country evacuation. Although of course some countries will try to keep borders and hold citizens against their will. More open borders in as many countries as possible i think would be benaficial more than bad although it would start out problematic economy wise.
edit on 1-8-2014 by Aural because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

It isn't keeping millions of unemployed afloat. All this cheap wage crap is only taking advantage of the illegals and not doing a thing for our unemployed.

Stop the jobs and any benefits, welfare etc. and they will not have a reason to come in droves. Pay the citizens a living wage or lose your business. There is such a thing as making a profit and being greedy. I once worked for a very rich company that had plants all over the world and they preferred to hire illegals for cheap wages.

We did ok without millions upon millions of illegals before, we can do it again.

When prices keep rising on an tem I usually buy, I either find it elsewhere for a reasonable price or stop buying it.

I get what you are saying. However, what you speak of doesn't really address the larger issue of immigrants...Let alone illegal immigration.

I suppose my comment as well was a closed minded comment which was handed out, off the cuff.

It would likely be best to actually cripple the economy. We need a new version of the economy to get away from the mess the world is currently in.

I am a proponent of leaving the monetary economy in the dust to replace it with something that deals only with what resources exist, and how to distribute it equally to everyone - basically allowing everyone a high standard of living. And by high standard, I mean the average western quality of life. And to get there the economy would be geard at increasing technology use to decrease a "needed" manual labor force. And hopefully over time eradicate the need of a job for survival. Let's be honest. Immigration is usually spawned due to a dwindling quality of life and the search for a better one. But why does ones quality of life diminish or be threatened? My first guess is meddling government entities...and government as a whole. Along side crony capitalism. Or whatever ism seems to fit.

It may sound like I'm a proponent of the nwo bs, but I'm not. I hate money and would love to see the end of indentured servitude. The majority of humans to walk this earth have yet to experience true freedom because of an inability to create a system which supports everyone through the equitable distribution of the planets finite resources. For the first time ever (as far as I know) humanity has achieved and mastered technology that could make this a reality. That is, if we focused on getting there instead of maintaining nuclear weapons and the like.

I'm not holding my breath. But it would be nice to see everyone wake up and get on board to making this world great for EVERYONE to live in. Remember, no man is an island.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural

I think there should be no borders of any country as well but that causes issues of its own. So not really no borders but just borders being more open. Only keep out people unwilling to work and do not have anyone they need to be with in another country. Keep out heavy criminals unless keeping them working but do not allow them to cross a border to avoid punishment for a serious crime.

People who want walls and guns are crazy and fearful. If borders are more open it will be unstable at first but eventually some countries will start having to function like businesses and become competative. Their laws will change in order to bring people back to their country. It would improve all worlds governments.

Yes, its complicated. But it doesn't have to be. And what changes have to be made to mitigate this "illegal immigration" issue, go beyond erasing imaginary lines in the sand.

I believe a full system overhaul is needed to help these "illegal immigrants", as well as....everyone else. But that won't be easy. A military dictatorship would likely be needed to implement this overhaul. As most people do not kindly accept change...of any kind. But it would be nice to vote for (referendum?) a REAL, positive change, rather than just vote for people who only talk of change. Which turns out to be just negative change by a differently colored revolving door.

I guess I scarily agree with Glenn Beck when he says people need to embrace the "illegals".

Though I doubt he would go as far as calling for a system/ economic overhaul.... Globally.
edit on stppmFri, 01 Aug 2014 12:49:47 -0500k1408America/Chicago0149 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Nice thought... average standard of living for everyone, but then where would the incentive to excel be? How many people would just say, the hell with working, I will just sit on my butt since there is no penalty. How many of those who worked would resent those who chose not to?

It is a nice thought, but not practical when it comes to man's nature.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join