It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Criticizes Companies for Denying Him Tax Money He Wants to Spend

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Patriotism or loyalty of corporations is in the board room to board members, not some "government". The last thing a corporation is interested in doing is lessening their bottom line… to anyone.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Who ever said he (Obama) was a uniter, should be slapped repeatedly.

I think he said it.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think Obama is just setting up another array of "Blames".

He will make that known soon enough.

Elections are getting hot.

Maybe, but more likely is he's trying to create or focus on a new democrat issue to strengthen their position in the midterms. After all with a "recovery" like this the only folks going really well is Wall Street and big corporations and the squeezed middle class knows it. So do the poor.

I think neither party (members) really wants to take this issue on. Tax reform could be a winning election platform or a field of landmines. Dems are desperate to hold the senate though so we may see more hail Mary's like this in the next few months.

edit on 933pm0909pm42014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hes mad because large corporations have better accountants and lawyers than the government. Having my accountant allow me to keep as much money as is legally possible sounds like a good idea to me. those are signs of a well run business. I do agree corporate welfare should end but not until the playing field is evened out. Why should products be allowed to be shipped in from china to compete with American made products when they have no minimum wage, social security or insurance to pay? He says hard working Americans play by the rules well guess what Obama, so do these large corporations. They play by the rules stupid polititions put in place. Don't blame any single party for these rules either, both side wrote and passed these rules.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Patriotism or loyalty of corporations is in the board room to board members, not some "government". The last thing a corporation is interested in doing is lessening their bottom line… to anyone.

As someone who owns stock and has my 401 invested in stock I agree with the corporations.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Why should products be allowed to be shipped in from china to compete with American made products when they have no minimum wage, social security or insurance to pay? He says hard working Americans play by the rules well guess what Obama, so do these large corporations. They play by the rules stupid polititions put in place. Don't blame any single party for these rules either, both side wrote and passed these rules.

We have once again come full circle. Its really about the way we have been outsourcing our jobs and collapsing out infrastructure to nonexistent levels.

We make nothing here anymore and its all because it was cheaper to manufacture abroad.

Now my question is, is this all an attempt to gain party leverage or is it a genuine desire to fix the problems we have here, that were all manufactured by the politicians?

Money money money. These people must see dollar signs on their eyelids.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
I swear some people just love to complain water is wet...
US corporations leave the US because it's cheaper to do business elsewhere.
Welcome to global competition.
Increasing their taxes here will only make the problem worse, not better.
We are also one of the few countries who tax profits made offshore. If we fixed that one issue alone, you'd see the tide stem.
Still waiting for them 'trickle-down economics' to kick in, eh? Howze that working for you so far?

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Class division.

Coming from a community organizer, that's all he knows.

Division.
Polarisation.
Us vs Them.

Who ever said he (Obama) was a uniter, should be slapped repeatedly.

Yea, without Obama, there would be no class division...

EDIT:

I'd say if anything, Obama isn't Alinksy enough.
edit on 2014-7-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
Still waiting for them 'trickle-down economics' to kick in, eh? Howze that working for you so far?

I guess you can lead a collectivist to water, but you can't make him drink...

Any amount of pretending global competition doesn't exist won't change the fact or its consequences.

But while we're at it, can someone please come up with a way to make water inherently drier?

edit on 28-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

“President Obama has been loud and clear about his fight against income inequality, but he admitted that the rich have fared far better than the poor during his time in the White House.”

But of course, President Obama can’t get through one video without throwing a spitball at Republicans.
By the way, does the President’s suggestion sound eerily similar to another term we know?

Oh and look at this...

Keep up the good work Barry.

-SAP-
edit on 28-7-2014 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: intrptr

As someone who owns stock and has my 401 invested in stock I agree with the corporations.

I don't have a problem with that. What we have nowadays however, is the corporations embedded with government in order to squeeze more bottom line from us. To influence legislation with money (PACs) in order to improve their bottom line.

I call it bribery, like I call insurance, extortion.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

On a global scale? Quite well actually.

Granted, we never actually employed full trickle down economics, just the watered down version that was palatable to the voters at the time, but that does not change the simple fact that the global starvation levels have been consistently falling since trickle down's implementation.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

On a global scale? Quite well actually.

Granted, we never actually employed full trickle down economics, just the watered down version that was palatable to the voters at the time, but that does not change the simple fact that the global starvation levels have been consistently falling since trickle down's implementation.

That's good...however, I don't notice the 1% sacrificing much. I'm not sure the west voted for a plan that results in global equality...water finding its own level and all...all except for those animals that are more equal than others.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I believe you are right, is nothing but the same tactics that politicians this days have been doing, make the voters feel that they care while screwing the tax payer on every turn favoring the corporate interest.

In a nation that is run by a corporate government pay by private corporate interest people should know that everything the politicians say is nothing but lies and deceptions.

Is not such thing as an honest politicians this days.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Under capitalism in American the rich will always feared better because they control the government, the way Obama has been fighting income inequality is with increasing the welfare state.

edit on 28-7-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Edit - Wait did I just agree with Obama??? Will wonders never cease.

I acutally read through your post and had to grab my head with my hands over both ears, twisting quickly to the right, pulled off my head and banged it several times on my desk, then put it back on and I still read

Edit - Wait did I just agree with Obama??? Will wonders never cease.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!' He chortled in his joy.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Retired and living overseas; get a job that pays well and lose your social security and pay taxes on the income you make. Earn interest on an overseas bank account and pay a portion of said interest to the IRS.

The United States has the highest corporate tax rate in the world among developed countries. Officers of companies that can produce and sell goods and services in many countries fail in their fiduciary responsibilities if they choose to headquarter them in the USA, other things being equal, when they could save two-thirds or more on their corporate tax bill by moving out of the United States. It would appear the companies who give large campaign contributions are the ones who get to wine and dine at the WH and pay very little taxes due to most favored tax status and write-offs..

The obvious solution to me is to reduce the U.S. corporate tax rate to a globally competitive level, however the administration and Congress are proposing to increase penalties instead of fixing the problem of high Corp tax rates.. IMO it is an oppressive and destructive attempt to make both individuals and companies tax slaves (oh pay their fair share) no matter where they live or do business; all based on stupidity or not wanting to fix a long standing problem in the first place... Globalization ! OK make the Global Corporate tax rates the same.. A new law was passed this year called Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act which is just one more example of not turning off the water before trying to fix a leak . Bad law bad results which will become more apparent as time passes.. IMO.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
US corporations leave the US because it's cheaper to do business elsewhere.

That's just it though...these companies don't actually leave, they just send their money overseas, they purchase a small-no-name company or sell their product 'at a loss' to a subsidiary and then claim they lost money through the year. They reduce their effective tax rate to 0%.

We have a 35% corporate tax rate, unfortunately, that doesn't equate to an effective tax rate. It's why GE and Exxon can make more money every year and yet, somehow, pay no taxes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join