It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally! Someone Is Showing Interest In Our VETS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

CresCom Bank signs on with Coastal to reach area veterans

Center director Rod Gragg said the new name is the result of long-term support CresCom Bank has committed to the center over the course of the next 10 years.

Originally founded in 2010 in a partnership with the U.S. Library of Congress, the center is located in the Coastal Science Center on CCU’s east campus.

“We will be able to focus more on collecting and preserving the oral history of American veterans in partnerships with the Library of Congress and service branch archives; promoting outreach programs designed to encourage public recognition of the service and sacrifices of veterans; and conducting research into American military history,” he said. “Through its longtime support for the Center for Military and Veterans Studies and other actions, CresCom Bank has demonstrated a true heart for America’s veterans and active duty military.”

Horry County News

NOW THIS IS MORE LIKE IT!

We seriously need as many programs as humanly possible for all the Vets we have and are going to have coming home. This is a GREAT program and I think I actually cheered when I read it.

Myself and several others go around the "homeless camps" in the area when it gets cold and we give away sleeping bags, blankets and even some tents. It is little enough we do for those that have stood up for our nation when others will not..

Semper

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
amen, semper. Amen.

It's time and past.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I actually feel relieved .....

Knowing there are some people/organizations/companies out there that are aware of the current problems, future problems and lack of action, really made my day...

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Yeah. With the VA becoming less and less capable of providing the care that many returning veterans need, or will need, it's going to fall to other organizations to fill the ever growing hole.

This is a good thing. Hopefully more will follow suit.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I really hope not there is money to be made with taking care of the US vets this way. I am hopeful for these vets but let us wait and see if they will come up with the promised results.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Myself and several others go around the "homeless camps" in the area when it gets cold and we give away sleeping bags, blankets and even some tents.

Shining example, folks.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I know there is a popular perception of a lack of concern, but it's not reflected in the budget of the VA.

Yet the VA's total budget during those years increased by 57.4percent — from $97.7billion in 2009 to $153.8billion in 2014. The VA has requested $163.9billion for 2015, apart from Gibson's reform-related funding request last week.

source

We have a veteran population of approximately 23,900,000. That's approximately $6,857 per veteran in VA spending alone in 2015.

Americans further contribute somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 billion a year to veteran related charities. Veterans comprise over 9% of the adult population. If you ask the average person on the street if we should do more for our vets they're going to say, "yes."

I think it's largely a problem of mismanagement within the VA. Also, if you read up on the independent ratings of some of these charities that claim to serve veterans, you'll find that only a very very tiny amount actually goes toward the intended beneficiaries.

So I don't think it's a lack of concern. The concern is there, it's everything else that is lacking.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If a vet is injured take care of them..

Anything else is just affirmative action for vets, and is not needed. If a fully functioning vet cannot get a job or take care of themselves or take advantage of the myriad of opportunities they are given (MGIB, discounts on EVERYTHING, preference for federal jobs, home loan guarantees, vocational rehad, etc etc etc..) then they should be homeless just like any other person who cannot handle their life.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Well it's about time!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
That sounds like something I would like to see in the UK as when our service people leave camp for the last time the MoD pretty much forgets them. Most stats here show a high percentage of homeless males being former service folk, Army especially.
Only last night/this morning at 3am walking home from a night out with my son we made contact with a 'new homeless face' guy laying in a shop doorway and he was a former soldier just arrived in town, we sat down, shared our tobacco, gave him some cash, advice on local services, but more importantly, stopped for half hour over a smoke talking to him and offering well just...compassion for a fellow human being.

All the support services in our society would pale to insignificance if everybody just cared a bit more about the people we pass on the street each day. Stop, sit, listen and give a # for 5 minutes of real life.
I remember when I left fakebook for ever it was all the 'likes' for some bull# inspirational image by people who don't actually do anything tangiable to help that made me go. Services are important, but changing societies attitude would do so much more - pity that is such a difficult battle to win in such a shallow world.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I am up late tonight and decided to kill some time finding more about CresCom Bank, then discovered it has the unimpressive total of just 10 branches in South Carolina.
While I may applaud a business providing tax-deductable donations to charity, (as I do CresCom in this instance) I have just realised that their contribution to the many tens of thousands of US veterans needs is just a drop in the ocean.
Right now the story is no more impressive to me than a local business funding my local youth rugby team.

Sorry OP, but after reading more about the story it just appears to me as a press release marketing move.
If it encourages other businesses to follow suit then that could be a good thing...but I would have to take my tin-foil cynic hat off first.
edit on 26-7-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Sorry, double post.
edit on 26-7-2014 by grainofsand because: Sorry, double post.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I can not believe we live in such a self centered and self serving nation that allows those who sacrifice and risk to protect our rights to suffer while we hand those precious rights over to those who would censor our every word and watch our every move. Someone needs to send a message.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

great to read!

kudos to you for handing out sleeping bags etc to those that are homeless

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus
If a fully functioning vet cannot get a job or take care of themselves or take advantage of the myriad of opportunities they are given (MGIB, discounts on EVERYTHING, preference for federal jobs, home loan guarantees, vocational rehad, etc etc etc..) then they should be homeless just like any other person who cannot handle their life.

100% agree.

My husband has been trying to get ahead in the government only to be knocked down again and again by less qualified vets. One time he was in charge of writing the qualifications for a position specifically designed just for him. Who got the job? A vet.

So....YAY...vets....[/sarcasm]

But good on the OP giving his time and money to help out those in need.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikefougnie
I can not believe we live in such a self centered and self serving nation that allows those who sacrifice and risk to protect our rights

Sorry but I have to stop you right there.

They did NOT go to war to protect our rights. Or the Patriot Act would have been dismantled along with the NDAA 2012.
edit on 19-9-2014 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join