It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King's Hypocirsy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
OK, so he doesn't offer his own land. I can respect that from any civil American.

What get's my goat is this asinine movement from the liberal camp suggesting that not helping the poor, downtrodden illegal aliens is hypocritical of Christians. Seriously? I thought following laws, policies and guidance is the Christian thing to do. Are they suggesting we break laws and invite all the world to habitate in our country to satisfy a percentage of the American population's moral convictions?

I love the hypocrisy of fanatical unicorns and rainbows do gooders. Stephen King exemplifies it...Do as I say, not as I do!

Report: Land Baron Stephen King Hasn't Offered Refuge to Border Kids

edit on 7-23-2014 by jrflipjr because: Inappropriate generalization term - replaced "liberals" with fanatical unicorns and rainbows do gooders

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: jrflipjr

Um Jesus didn't really follow laws..... Hence him getting crucified but sure go ahead and ignore that if it fits what you want

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
What BS ! Gee, why don't we lynch everybody that questions the irony of the situation !
BS !
Is everything so well defined for some of you that you fail to see ?

I will continue to read King, and enjoy him.

+20 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Stephen King is actually quite a philanthropist. He has his own fund in the state of Maine and supports Heifer International, which provides livestock and training in order to alleviate hunger and poverty and encourage self-reliance in in 128 countries. He also supports the Jimmy Fund, which fights cancer around the world. In addition:

Stephen King Visits Deployed Troops In Germany
Stephen King Heats Homes This Winter

I hardly see how he can be called a hypocrite. Source

Besides, he has a great point...
edit on 7/23/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

If Pennywise is hanging out in the sewers still, he was doing them a favor.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I don't think the properties mentioned would qualify Mr King as a "land baron" would they?
Aside from these two large houses does he own many thousands of square kilometers of populated land?
That would make him a Baron of Land.

Sorry for nitpickings,Just a comment on the link in your OP.

Damn shame for these poor kids though,who seem part of some horrid political game.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm going to try to ignore his politics and just read the books. He's an awesome fun writer. I think 'Talisman' is his best work.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Steve was raised Christian but bailed on it at a young age. Nice of Breibart to make him Liberal Target of the Day. They might duck though. He'll take anyone on.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think a thing about so many rich liberals is that they really are not liberal at all. The kind of liberalism I was raised with called for a fair amount of sacrifice for the greater good.

But another thing about King is he had got to be one of most fortunate people ever. For my money, he managed to get in on the ground floor of a soon to be burgeoning horror genre with a couple of very fine novels and novellas. Then once his name had been accepted by the public, he rode that acclaim all the way to the Big Boys Bank. Every little thing he wrote ended up on the big screen. Even simple little short stories, which in no way could stand out from the crowd by any means other than the American public's herd mentality, ended up as full blown movies or TV series.

I used to have this severe thought that one morning he would wake up with drool dripping from his mouth only to have a major studio standing by to turn it into millions of bucks. A real liberal would have understood the accidental nature of his fortune due to the unconscious nature of those who salivate at the trough of the American entertainment industry and given most of that money back to the poor long ago. No, I have never considered him to be liberal.

But acutally I guess my complaint is not with him so much as with the entertainment industry in general. My sister loves him by the way.

edit on 23-7-2014 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

EDIT But now reading back over the rest of the thread I find that he has been active in charity after all so what do I know. I spose I was just looking for some one to kick around this morning.
edit on 23-7-2014 by TerryMcGuire because: EDIT But now reading back over the rest of the thread I find that he has been active in charity after all so what do I know. I spose I was just looking for some one to kick around this morning.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

What get's my goat is this asinine movement from the liberal camp suggesting that not helping the poor, downtrodden illegal aliens is hypocritical of Christians. Seriously? I thought following laws, policies and guidance is the Christian thing to do.

Isn't helping the poor one of the things Jesus preached about?

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
― Stephen Colbert

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I may not agree with his political viewpoint, but I've always been a fan of his writing (I'm currently reading book 7 of his Dark Tower series for the first time).

I've always felt that he (King) isn't so much anti-Christian, as he is anti-organized religion. The mindless drone-like qualities of some churchgoers seems to be a target that he takes aim at.

As far as his personal politics go, I'm ambivalent with regard to them. If I avoid everyone that has a different opinion to mine, how would I ever know where I stood?

I'll keep reading his work, and learning from it in order to mature my own writing.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
What's more amazing to me is how long and hard people are willing to stretch to find someone to hate on these days. It's like that's all they have to live for? Weird.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
There is nothing more Christian than housing the homeless, feeding the hungry, and healing the sick. Those were all things Jesus Christ actually did.

Jesus' beliefs on laws, regulations and other such nonsense? Practically non-existent.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Stephen King is a HUGE philanthropist who has donated tens of millions of dollars to help out a multitude of worthy causes. Not only does he donate money, he donates times and his voice to make the world a better place.

I find it utterly despicable vapid, self-entitled "conservatives" would attack him on his stance towards helping the impoverished. Breitbart.com continues to sink lower and lower.

Of course the right-wing rags love to attack King over his stance on taxes, which has made him a favorite punching bag of theirs for ages.

Stephen King, taxes and charities

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
King is a decent guy. You can't just lump everyone into a category as well. Liberals Conservatives. Their both just as bad as each other, but if you really get to know people instead of sit in a chair and read ATS forums all day or Yahoo comments, you'll see that really we're all a little bit of both, I'm very liberal on some issues such as the environment and immigration. I fit right in with those guys, but then they talk about gun control and raising taxes and I run over to the conservatives, and then they say wacky things about religion and women's rights and crap...I think I'll just stay as an independent.

Anyway...we just need some common sense immigration reform. Amnesty and easier paths to citizenship, enforce laws against businesses that hire illegal immigrants, and being human to these people. That's it. Or, we could build a wall that's not connected and zig zags haphazardly in places, do nothing, enforce, nothing, make it really hard to become a citizen with all kinds of forms and fees and stay like we are for the next 20 years complaining incessantly that something needs to be done.

I own a business and have a family ...in both instances if there is a problem, I handle it right away, if the solution doesn't work, I try another and then another until everything is running smoothly again.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I must admit,I have never really considered his political views when reading his books-he is just a darned fine spinner of yarns-OK some are a bit wacky,but overall he makes real page turners I rek.
I expect he is very wealthy,but he has produced a lot of works over the years and maintained a growing fanbase-you couldn't call him a shirker.

Politics aside-Long live the King!
His books always better than their TV/movie adaptions IMO.

Glad to read the link from Benevolent Heratic-He seems to be helping some needful folks with his wealth.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

He fails to mention that the Feds down there are BLOCKING any clergy from coming in to assist or see or counsel any of these people.

Where is he on that?

Not to mention just about every church in the area here that I'm in (Texas). Is sending food and other aid down to there

What I find more telling is that no media outlets are reporting the fact that millions of dollars and millions in aid are being sent down there by many conservative and Christian agencies.

Not to mention volunteers....

But again no one wants to report this because it doesn't fit the agenda

It's fine to have an opinion. But the least he could do is try and do a little research before driveling off at the mouth

Just write your books Steven. Obviously political and social commentary aren't your forte

edit on 7/23/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
I can donate and send money to just about anything. It doesn't mean I'm somehow and expert.

Even the experts however are capable of unintelligent remarks

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Well said! A common sense strategy is needed for most of our problems. I am not suggesting we throw our doors wide and let everyone in, but we must acknowledge that we share partial responsibility for the failed state of Mexico, and the fate of its people, who are our brothers and sisters. From water rights to the so called "War on Drugs," we have contributed much to the problem. We owe much towards a solution. That's what Jesus would say AND do.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Just think of how trashed his land would be if he did though...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join