It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King's Hypocirsy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Just write your books Steven. Obviously political and social commentary aren't your forte

If you read his books you'd know that political and social commentary ARE his forte. You don't like what he's saying, fine. Insulting the man is beyond limp.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
His books always better than their TV/movie adaptions IMO.

Case in point .... The Dome. The book was really good. The series last year was good but it drifted from the book. I haven't watched the series this summer. I lost interest because it was too long between last summer and this summer's series. I'd love to see 'The Talisman' as a movie. Heck ... it could be a series. I see the potential. An update of 'The Stand' would be great as well.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I find it amusing that so many confuse charity with mandated theft and "forced giving".

Being robbed is not the same as donating freely.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I have had a physical hatred of King since I finished the Dark Tower series.

I wish every plague known to man upon him.

*not really, I just loath him as a writer now.

Like all wealthy people he is best at telling others what to do with their money. It's easy to give away 20% of your earnings when you have millions. It's not so easy when you live payday to payday.

BTW - Jesus also said "render onto Caesar, that which is Caesar's" which many take to mean "obey the law"

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
My wish?

All celebrities shut up, when it comes to telling others what to do.
If you want to help someone, or something, great.

But don't preach to me about what I should be doing.

I will stop contributing to your wealth.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Oh, so we can all do whatever we want based on moral beliefs? Outstanding! I can't wait to see what the Islamists, Buddhists, Christians, et al. have for us! And the last time I checked, Jesus did follow laws - read your own literature.

I won't argue with fanatics on religion, but I will argue that there is a distinction between moral convictions and social responsibilities. There is a gray area for which all humans have to negotiate. If you negate one or the other completely, your are violating either the human contract for social responsibility or your own religious beliefs.

In any case, I would like to know how Christian morals trump American laws, specifically with regards to the border situation. If they do, then I intend to move from this country because America was founded on religious freedom for all under the rights granted by the US constitution.

One does not trump the other. They work mutually. There is a solution that can be found but it must be found through compromise and education.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

What didn't you like about the dark tower series? ?
And he isn't talking to the paycheck to paycheck people. He is talking to the ones that only give to charity as a way to get tax cuts

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

How is his commentary any less insulting?

How is mine any more off base then his lol

Care to address anything else in my post that throws his commentary under the bus in regards to the border situation he's talking about?

Books are one thing accurate portrayal is another.
That being his opinion is fine. There just happens to be some serious holes in it

While I do agree with him that hypocrisy in Christianity is a plague. I feel like in this case he's not accurate. I see a lot of charity going on down there. And I've yet to see any democrat do anything about it but stop by and make a statement to the press. As then move on to their high dollar vacation homes
edit on 7/23/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I love the work of Stephen King.

What the man does in his free time is of little to none of my concern.

Short of abusing children or creating a club for rabbit fighting I couldn’t care less how he spends his time or what he does with the money he’s earned.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: jrflipjr

So you think jesus would let laws get in the way of him caring for the poor and the weak? No one is saying disregard the laws in the name of jesus. Just not to say that he wouldn't help some one cause a law told him not to.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Believe the propaganda or Jesus?

John 13:34-35 “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you are also to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Here is the best:

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

Matthew 25: 34-45

there is nothing christian going on at the border

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
His books always better than their TV/movie adaptions IMO.

Case in point .... The Dome. The book was really good. The series last year was good but it drifted from the book. I haven't watched the series this summer. I lost interest because it was too long between last summer and this summer's series. I'd love to see 'The Talisman' as a movie. Heck ... it could be a series. I see the potential. An update of 'The Stand' would be great as well.

Hey FF!
I have never read "The Talisman"-Thanks for the heads up,I will have to get a copy now.

Agree with you about Under the dome-top book,series well hmm,its OK I suppose but not a patch on the book.
The Stand rocked-I was one of the "lucky"few who started reading the stand when I was getting a bad cold...Man that made it real,real scary.
I like Stephen King,whatever his politics-and his son is a good writer as well so far I think...N0SFERA2 is a creepy story.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Stephen King needs to STFU and not attack other peoples fixed delusions.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So you think jesus would let laws get in the way of him caring for the poor and the weak? No one is saying disregard the laws in the name of jesus. Just not to say that he wouldn't help some one cause a law told him not to.

I'm sorry to tell you. Not everyone walks around asking themselves *what would Jesus do* in regards to what is going on in the world around them.

A lot of them ask, is this legal? Can our country afford this, in the game of ever increasing taxation to cover *helping others*.

The fact that we are a collective land of laws, that guide us in so much of what we do, can't be negated by *what would Jesus do*. That is a personal issue...not a social one.

Des

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I find it amusing that so many confuse charity with mandated theft and "forced giving".

Being robbed is not the same as donating freely.

This, and Steve seems to forget this.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

To say Jesus would not help kids no matter where they came from.

To me, is a complete misunderstanding of what he preached.

Why don't people just say they are unwilling to help?

Cause...Jesus would not of said "don't bring the children unto me".

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I don't think I saw anywhere in the Bible where Jesus forcibly took from other people to feed the poor either. I didn't see him stealing or trespassing or vandalizing or seizing other people's property to feed the poor. If he did those things, please point out the relevant passages.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Excellent! I concur with you.

I also agree that we assist as much as we can as it is not only the "Christian" thing to do, but the humane thing to do. However, if the law requires that illegal immigrants be processed according to standing laws, then so be it. I certainly don't espouse breaking laws either - therein lies that gray area. The concern is that if every person decided to break the laws to help people, then we have reached a state of anarchy. In a utopian world, we would all know the difference between right and wrong. Unfortunately, we don't have those luxuries.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Or bringing up Jesus in a thread about Stephen King. Bwahahahaha.....

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Oh my someone dosent like a liberals view of the world, so he must be a bad bad man, slow newsday i guess, too bad all he had to say is its obamas or immigrants fault, and voila eutopian ats
edit on 23-7-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join