It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality-Bending Flexible TV Is Shockingly Awesome

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is really Cool you can roll it up and take it anywhere.

Never struggle moving a large TV again.
Though LG only very recently announced that they had developed a working rollable television, it appears as though the demo is closer to finding its way into your home than previously thought.

A video (which you can see below) showing the 18-inch flexible television in action leaked on YouTube, and you might just be surprised at how well it works.

www.realclear.com... lyrepublican

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Wow! We have surround sound and soon we could have surround TV . Imagine, a 360 degree picture with you in the middle!

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
What good is this in everyday life to the average person ? It may be cutting edge in terms of technology but i can't see a real purpose for it.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Aliens!!

Now It makes sense to have a bug out plan.

Very cool. Cant wait to have a bendable phone/cpu.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
So there truly are bendable OLEDs. That is nuts. The future.....

In the shop I work at we're actually carrying the first and only OLED in town. You can not roll it up though. Just a 55" inch, super thin curved screen sitting on a transparent pedestal.

May not seem practical but flat panel TVs will keep lowering their profile until we're looking at holograms.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
That is pretty damn astounding right there. I'd love to get one of these bad boys or any OLED really.

Isn't LG the same company that came out with a curved smartphone? Perhaps I am thinking of Samsung - but I swear LG did it too. I think a smartphone with a very slight curve would be just wonderful.

Just think - soon people will be able to pull a TV out of their bag - unroll it and watch anywhere. Possibilities are endless!

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I cannot even wrap my mind around all the cool tech we are going to see in the next decade alone.

Hell - look at a cell phone from 10 years ago. My phone today has more computing power and tech inside than the Apollo spacecrafts.
edit on 23-7-2014 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: trontech

Wow! We have surround sound and soon we could have surround TV . Imagine, a 360 degree picture with you in the middle!

Thats kind of what my reality is, yours too most probably, but I'm not in your universe, your experience so thats just speculation on my part. We're inside the game we created and we have forgotten who we really are, so involved in the game that we thought we actually were the characters that we play. We wanted to experience our creation and thereby ourself. Its time to wake up and remember who you really are.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
while this is kind of cool, i just can't help but feel that while they are doing it, they are still doing it wrong. It seems like a crude/forced way to acheive a bendable device (as it is more flexible and less bendable).

cool? Yes. But still far, far lacking as a "pinnacle" of display technology.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Hell Tex money has screwed THAT up years ago. by now we should be WELL into superconductive tech and off the oil for fuel...

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Yeah. But given my location, can't say that oil drilling is causing me much heartburn right now.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Hell Tex money has screwed THAT up years ago. by now we should be WELL into superconductive tech and off the oil for fuel...

if there could be huge profits from manufacturing horse-drawn wagons and buggy whips, we would still have them...."oil" is a monopoly by the few, with hundreds of billions in profits a year....we will have it for decades

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: sayzaar
What good is this in everyday life to the average person ? It may be cutting edge in terms of technology but i can't see a real purpose for it.

Try saying that again next time you're either installing or moving a T.V.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Samsung came out with a similar concept - a smart window LCD.

It is a window and an LCD panel all at the same time.

www.youtube.com...

This one shown by the OP, seems to be stuck to a base - I guess that is what lights it up?

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: sayzaar

Off the top of my head:

Damage resistant screens for cell phones.
180° screens for simulators/games/theatres/VR (Oculus Rift).
Blind-spot screens for vehicles.
Foldable tablets making tablets the new cell phones(once the tech is perfected, I assume).
Pull-down television screens (replacing projectors)
Wrist watch devices with 360° screens.
360° advertising (billboards (bill-cylinders?))

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I know that Gorilla Glass is very flexible, the same glass that the I-phone screens are made from. Our Company has a ton of gorilla glass, for the new touch screens being applied for other markets besides phones. Not sure if this is Gorilla Glass, or some other material. Then they apply a brilliant technique of painting the electrical circuits around the edges of the material. Very Cool, This TV reminds me of this

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
When I was at Kodaks labs about 15 years ago they had perfected painted lcd screen paint. They were using it for placing adverts on packaging.
To this day I've never seen it on the market.

This tech will evolve to having a fat pen in your pocket and pulling the screen out. Similar to a 7" tablet.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: sayzaar

?????

Obviously, you've never seen a large screen TV from the 60's:

retrothing.typepad.com...

Now imagine you are presenting a trade show and have to haul this beast from your showroom, have it packed into a crate, flown over to the conference, unpacked, assembled and tested, then shipped all the way back again.

Or you can just roll up one or more large flexible plastic screens up into a poster tube, and take it home with you as hand luggage.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I just see this as a stepping stone on the path to having cheaper and even more ubiquitous displays for more mundane uses. You'll probably see them showing video ads along with route info on buses and subway cars, and inserted into other places where printed vinyl panels were previously used to convey information.

Technology is still cool. But stuff like restaurant or vending machine menus along with a constant bombardment of ads while waiting at a bus stop seems much more likely than not.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: pauljs75
I just see this as a stepping stone on the path to having cheaper and even more ubiquitous displays for more mundane uses. You'll probably see them showing video ads along with route info on buses and subway cars, and inserted into other places where printed vinyl panels were previously used to convey information.

Technology is still cool. But stuff like restaurant or vending machine menus along with a constant bombardment of ads while waiting at a bus stop seems much more likely than not.

Very true. I've seen people see a sheet of paper sealed in a plastic perspex frame, attempt to tap it to get some user interaction and get confused why nothing happens.

London Underground have already replaced the vinyl panels along their escalators with plasma/LCD displays. It avoids the need to replaced the adverts manually.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join