It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passing on health issues to your children, worth the risk?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'm asking a genuine question, mostly to those who have health issues but other people can comment too.

My question is this:

If you had a genetic/hereditary health condition like MS (for example) and your partner also had a genetic/hereditary health condition like Huntington's disease (for example) would you want to have kids even though there is a risk that they could be sick all their lives?

I'm asking because my partner has the genes for MS (he doesn't have it but his Mom does) and I have the genes for Crohn's (I don't have it but my Mom does) and I have other health issues that aren't diagnosed. We are worried about passing on those genes to any kid(s) we have and that kid being sick all their life. My younger sister was diagnosed with an incurable auto-immune disease at age 5 and had to go through horrible things. I've also seen other sick kids suffering.

How do you make the choice to reproduce when you know the odds of them being sick is high?
edit on 22-7-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'd say do it up and roll the dice. Life's a crap shoot and we've all been poisoned with fluoride, gmos,anticholesterals, antidepressants anyways (that craps in the water unless ya got a well or a distiller). maybe you're kid'll be a mutant nba star. Don't let the man scare you out of having your own kids.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I don't plan on it. Diabetes, schizophrenia, antisocial personality disorder run in my family not something I wish to pass on. Instead I want to adopt a child in need of a family. The world doesn't need another me.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower
I've been so riddled with health issues since I was a teenager that I've become sterile from repeated chemotherapy treatments. So, no question for me about passing on genes (otherwise I'd be asking the same question as you.)

I've ended up with cancer, auto-immune, sleep disorder, and a blood disorder--all told, genetic disorders. Big surprise! Everyone else in my family is in top health, though they are probably carriers of said genes.

I've been through good times and bad. I've been pleasant and I've been angry. I've been lonely and I've felt loved. I've hated the universe, and grown to appreciate it. It's not all that different than what anybody else goes through eh? Yes, there is physical and emotional pain and suffering with illness; especially lifelong, progressive conditions. You can't win em all!

Dealing with the grief of illness is mostly about adopting a positive outlook and attitude. Through the illness, one may find strengths otherwise incapable of being fostered. Sometimes it's a curse, sometimes a blessing! I think a loving and supportive family makes quite a bit of difference in all this too. Go for it! and many blessings to you and your family, come what may.

NB

edit on 22-7-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

If you are both concerned about it, you may just want to adopt. If you decide to go that route, don't be discouraged. It is a lengthy process in a ridiculously-monetized industry but the same can be said about giving birth in an American health system, as well.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
My vote is to adopt. There are so many children out there that need a good home, and why bring another child into this world when there are chances they would be sick... the healthcare system is a mess and only getting worse.

There are also "unused" embryos that are to be discarded because other couples have decided their families are complete.
edit on 22-7-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It's not just health problems being passed on, it is the world and how every generation gets worse and harder for people. I would never want to raise a child in todays world.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Do you really want to bring a kid into this world anyhow? Its #ty enough as it is without MS.

Another vote on adoption. That way youll be making some kids life less #ty.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I gave my kids the ultimate curse, a longevity gene that is plagued with problems. Most people do not eat right for this genetic trait and die young. I already screwed up and caused some liver and kidney damage by taking medicines I should not have taken, so I will not live to a real old age.

Of course, your kids will not believe you when you tell them they could live a long time if they were to eat certain foods, especially when they are foods not considered to be good for you. Funny thing is, three of the foods were considered bad a few years ago but now are considered good for you.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
All good advice so far.

But I'd like to point out that adopting does not guarantee your child will be immune to any onset of illness. I'm not familiar with the process, but is family medical history and the parent's medical history readily available when adopting? Is a sick child less valuable than a healthy child?
Everyone needs a loving home and family.

Nonetheless, I think it's a great alternative to consider for multiple other reasons.

edit on 22-7-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Im pretty positive that its discrimination if they cite your parents medical history as an excuse not to let you adopt. But you're right, it can always be possible that the child you adopt wont make it to adulthood. But when you really think about it, none of us are guaranteed any amount of time. Why, I could die before I finish th

just kidding

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
All good advice so far.

But I'd like to point out that adopting does not guarantee your child will be immune to any onset of illness. I'm not familiar with the process, but is family medical history and the parent's medical history readily available when adopting? Is a sick child less valuable than a healthy child?
Everyone needs a loving home and family.

Nonetheless, I think it's a great alternative to consider for multiple other reasons.

Last year, a couple I know had a hell of a time adopting one of the more difficult to place older kids. They insisted that every child deserved a chance. Finally they got to adopt the boy and were so thrilled. Now these people are two of the kindest, most loving, compassionate, generous and patient people you would ever meet. I don't know how long they had the boy, but after doing everything in their power, this kid just had too many overwhelming problems and they couldn't deal with it. Sad, but true.

You will not be guaranteed a child without health or mental problems whether they are your own or adopted. It is a chance you must take if you want a child.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Okay I'm curious... What you talking about?
very intriguing. a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I have a lot of depression/suicide in my family. And this question of passing it on to kids concerns me greatly.

My personal decision is that it would be unfair. So I'd rather adopt.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I have autoimmune so I'll kick in an answer.
We adopted. That was before I knew I had autoimmune.
(Sjogrens with autonomic and peripheral neuropathies)
Now I"m glad we did.

LOTS of people have autoimmune. So you may just end up adopting a child who also has autoimmune issues in their birth family. But if that happens ... then just love them all the more.

Side note - our adoption agency was a non-profit agency ... Villa Hope in Birmingham Alabama . Take a look and think about it. We had a positive experience with them.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
You will not be guaranteed a child without health or mental problems whether they are your own or adopted. It is a chance you must take if you want a child.

I'm quoting this to highlight it. Your words are very true and its' something all parents and potential parents should take to heart. Everyone has issues. Biological children or adopted children. We are all human and we all come with human issues. I'm glad you said this.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
There are also "unused" embryos that are to be discarded because other couples have decided their families are complete.

There are embryo adoption agencies out there. I don't know if I"m allowed to link to them here or not. So I'll just say this ... Google up 'Embryo adoption'. There are a few that pop up. I"m glad you mentioned it!

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
My kid has type 1 diabetes and celiac disease also asthma. Neither of us parents do not have type 1 diabetes ( does not run in either families, hubby´s aunt has type 2 ( different disease ). Year later he was diagnosed with celiac disease and year later from that hubby was diagnosed with celiac disease ( who would have guessed.. celiac has not been diagnosed in either families before either ) , then came asthma ( my father has asthma ) kids asthma is different than adults it usually goes away when growing up.
None of these was there when we got our kid, would i have considered not make him if we would knew about this.. answer is no as there are more heinous diseases in the world than these and these are treatable.
Anyway the World today is what it is with all kind of pollution etc.. if we hold up on procreation soon there will be none..
edit on 23-7-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Food chemistry is changing. The genetic susceptibility for these has always been there but the changes have made them a problem. The type one diabetes is possibly the exception to diet changes, that seems to come out if it is present no matter what the environmental changes are. It could be a new mutation.

At the heart of insulin is zinc, I wonder if the body isn't processing zinc correctly? Zinc would also help with Celiacs I think. www.celiac.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

What to blaime, its intresting. We are finnish and Finland is the top in ranks of type 1 diabetes but the control group which has same gene pool as we do are our karelian neighbours ( karelia was part of Finland before WW2 ) the intresting thing is that people in karelia do not have diabetes type 1 nor celiac disease in such a amount that we do. When we look at the Karelian area we see pretty much undeveloped area where people live from the land ( farmers mostly ) and have very little convenience food available ( life style similar to amish people ).
We don´t have GMO foods here but we do have additives just like the other countries do in our foods, we call E-codes. Some of the additives we eat do not go away from our system like aspartam.
Kid is healthy active one, by looking at him you could not tell if he had any of these.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join