It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any scotch drinkers in the house!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

you just cant beat a single Scottish peat malt - imo

None of them come even close, the blends are just awful.

if you are going to drink a good whiskey, its the only way.

edit on b5959235 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Because there is a lot more skill, effort, and time put into a fine bottle of single malt.

A blended whiskey is a blend of various whiskey to achieve a desired taste, then mixed with a base spirit to reach a desired alcohol content. This is not the case with single malt whisky. Single malt whisky is a game of waiting, skill, knowledge, passion and a fair amount of luck as well.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: maybee

Get him a bottle of glendronach, sherry butte.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Actually talking about casks,

just a side note to all of our American cousins,

In "Scotch" whisky, there is actually a little bit of America because most of the casks are actually sourced from American Oak.

And really lets face it guys, the magic seems to happen during all those years spent in those casks.

edit on 22-7-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Yes, but you wouldn't want to use our peat.
It wouldn't be the same.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx
a reply to: Strayed

I have also heard this, and look forward to getting myself a bottle in the future. Anything particular that stood out about it to you ?

It is extremely well balanced if you're looking to taste something light and smooth (too light for some). Its lightly peaty and lightly smokey, its a bit sweat (which I like) and while the flavor isn't extremely complex it does open up sufficiently (for me at least).

I find a lot of the guys that favor the extremely peaty/smokey stuff are not a fan of Oban because of that "lightness". I typically enjoy cigars with my scotch and find Oban complements them fairly well while I find the peaty/smokey stuff (like Laphroaig) kind of a bit much sometimes if I am smoking.

edit on 22-7-2014 by Strayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Strayed
I find a lot of the guys that favor the extremely peaty/smokey stuff are not a fan of Oban because of that "lightness". I typically enjoy cigars with my scotch and find Oban complements them fairly well while I find the peaty/smokey stuff (like Laphroaig) kind of a bit much sometimes if I am smoking.

Same here. I usually pair my cigars with a lighter scotch and Oban is my favorite cigar scotch.

I think we need an ATS cigars and scotch meet up.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Yes...short story here. My former band leader passed away and I inherited (worng word , but you get it) his liquor cabinet. Among others, there was a bottle of Glenfiddich in there...a large one. Whilst cleaning his estate out (in another state so I didnt have to be driving)...I got into the scotch early in the evening drinking from a large martini glass, neat-straight up. It was a Friday night....come MONDAY...I was back in my home state trying to figure out what the hell happened!

I do remember being really really blasted...havent been like that before! Not much of a beer drinker...I always was (is) a bourbon straight up guy. Maybe rum...once in a never-Tequila.

But, that Glenfiddich was an experience! And Ive had several others before and since...but that one? It was a weekend for the books!

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Strayed

Same here. I usually pair my cigars with a lighter scotch and Oban is my favorite cigar scotch.

Heh something like that could be interesting (quite a diverse crowd here) though I'm not sure how large the cigar smoking, scotch drinking demographic of ATS is.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's a gathering I would attempt.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Be tempting to attend something like that .. would consider it if it held in scotland .. would say tokyo but the clubs I go to there dont allow foriegners in .. and thanks to my miscreant macaque been banned from the other clubs in tokyo ..

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888

Be tempting to attend something like that .. would consider it if it held in scotland .. would say tokyo but the clubs I go to there dont allow foriegners in .. and thanks to my miscreant macaque been banned from the other clubs in tokyo ..

You haven't lived until you've been banned from a bar. I've got a few under my belt.
I will add, without trying to sound boastful, that I have earned the respect of a few bouncers.
edit on 23-7-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
If you are ever in oxford theres a shop there that is literally "the whiskey shop", sells some amazing stuff.

The guy who runs its has a mind blowing knowledge - you simply tell him what you like and what your after and he will dig out a spot on bottle.

I go every christmas to get my father somthing special, last year was a sherry cask special edition single malt (nearly 50% proof).

I didnt try any myself but he was pretty happy with it

edit on b4747420 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Glenfiddich 21 but it is rather expensive. Only for special occassions. It has a smooth sweetness to it.

If I have to say a blended then for me its The Naked Grouse another sweetish one, failung that or money running low it has to be Famous Grouse.

edit on 23-7-2014 by alienscot1 because: added blended ones.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl
Count me in.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Strayed

You may be mistaken my friend.... cigars and scotch sounds like I'm there.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Dalmore.... I have some right now, in this glass...

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: alienscot1

Oh man, I'm not big on glenfiddich but if you like it, that's cool. It's extremely sweet, very smooth even at the 15 year old vintage. That's the problem though, from 15, 18, and 21 there is really no difference to me aside from price of course.

I recommend you try glenmorangie Nectar d'or, I think you would like it, and it's way less expensive(even though I'd pay more) for the bottle.

Glenfiddich to me just isn't worth the money, I can buy bourbon just as good at a fraction of the cost. My personal opinion of course, and I'm not trying to rain on you in any way. Everyone here likes different things, and will probably dislike something others really enjoy. That's the beauty of scotch. There is a dram for everyone, and plenty to share.
edit on 23-7-2014 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
3 glasses (7.5ounces total) of Dalmore, not bad. I took it a little far considering I have work in the morning. I mean not the furthest I've gone on a work night, but a little too far none the less.

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Anyone had Auchentoshan 3 wood ? Care to give me a heads up? Looking for a good one, I love highlands scotch. Nearly all the 12 year or older I've tried have been good. The 15's even better. I can afford up to 21 year old scotch in almost every brewery. I do not need a 21 but what are some suggestions. I get paid this friday, I was thinking of trying the Auchentoshan 3 wood. Is it a true single malt? I know it's aged in three different casks which intrigues me, and tasting notes are compelling but I've heard such mixed reviews.

I have had lagavulin 16 and loved it, and it certainly is not a "drinking" whisky.

I have also had up to 21 Glenfiddich, and glenlivet, 18 year old Gledronach, loved all three. Very different mind you. I love glen morangie in all vintages but seem partial to these style malts. Any suggestions? I wanted to try dalwhinnie 15, but have not gone back to that liquor store. I will be friday at about 2:15 how ever.

What would you all suggest? All parts of the Isle are welcome.

GO ! Friday is not far off.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join