It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biologists discover electric bacteria that eat pure electrons!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

originally posted by: Tichy
It's not actually, that they "eat" electrons. They conduct them. It's a pretty new found bacteria, though and the real amazing thing about it (as far as i understand it) is, that there are various ones, that combine to build long filaments (the lassos in the video), that serve as a kind of conductor cable between them.

The word you should search for is Desulfobulbaceae.

they eat and excrete pure electrons.

these bacteria were definitely eating electrons directly.

Some of these bacteria also have the curious ability to form into ‘biocables,’ microbial nanowires that are centimeters long and conduct electricity as well as copper wires

www.extremetech.com... ife

I think this is the problem with a "sensational" written article in a rather not-really-scientific-newsboard like this "extremetech" thingy.

First of all i admit to be no microbiologist. My scientific eduction lies within another field. So i did have to get a bit more into this subject.

Long story short. Maybe you should first get familiar with the discovery, that stands behind this article:

Filamentous bacteria transport electrons over centimetre distances

Also some pics: Here

Basically those bacteria transport the electrons over a wider range to support some already known process called Anaerobic respiration.
edit on 19-7-2014 by Tichy because: (no reason given)

EDIT: I am still amazed by such things, though. It's not that i'm like "Oh, that...pff...old story" or something. It's rather to put things in a context, that is already made up and evolves by foundings like that. That's how science works and this is also how we get our knowledge from.
edit on 19-7-2014 by Tichy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
My jaw hit my desk... but upon further thought, it makes sense and what a plethora of utility has been opened... thatnks for bring the info here.

Wow-weee....

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I wonder if they could be used to repair nerve/neural damage.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This totally freaks me out somehow... not like I-am-going-to-scream like, but more like a subtle uncomfortable feeling

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I think this is the problem with a "sensational" written article in a rather not-really-scientific-newsboard like this "extremetech" thingy.
Yes it sounds bogus, and note they mix their metaphors between digestion and respiration, and even put "eats" in quotes to signify it's not really eating them:

the bacteria “eats” electrons from the electrode; when a lower voltage is present, the bacteria “exhales” electrons onto the electrode,
so it it "eat and poop" or "inhale/exhale"?

Also if you're excreting the same thing you've ingested, what have you gained? Seems like that would be a bit like a person eating glass marbles and pooping out glass marbles...you can do it but it won't provide much metabolism.

As you said there is something interesting about these bacteria, but it's unfortunate the science writing is so bad it totally distorts what's really going on, in comparison to the science article you posted which is obviously more accurate, without the gross distortions. Thanks for posting the link to the real science!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

It's not actually, that they "eat" electrons. They conduct them. It's a pretty new found bacteria, though and the real amazing thing about it (as far as i understand it) is, that there are various ones, that combine to build long filaments (the lassos in the video), that serve as a kind of conductor cable between them.

The word you should search for is Desulfobulbaceae.

they eat and excrete pure electrons.

these bacteria were definitely eating electrons directly.

Some of these bacteria also have the curious ability to form into ‘biocables,’ microbial nanowires that are centimeters long and conduct electricity as well as copper wires

www.extremetech.com... ife

First of all i admit to be no microbiologist. My scientific eduction lies within another field. So i did have to get a bit more into this subject.

Long story short. Maybe you should first get familiar with the discovery, that stands behind this article:

Filamentous bacteria transport electrons over centimetre distances

Also some pics: Here

Basically those bacteria transport the electrons over a wider range to support some already known process called Anaerobic respiration.

EDIT: I am still amazed by such things, though. It's not that i'm like "Oh, that...pff...old story" or something. It's rather to put things in a context, that is already made up and evolves by foundings like that. That's how science works and this is also how we get our knowledge from.

Your Nature article is no more scientific than the other article. They make it clear they are talking about more than one type of Bacteria, they even mention an earlier find. Your article does not seem to be the same one.

Providing with energy..eating...

Here the bacteria use the electrons from the bacteria at the bottom to convert oxygen to water, which provides them with energy.

scitech.au.dk... le/

In a separate study a few years ago, researchers at Aarhus University in Denmark found that some electric bacteria also have the ability to form microbial nanowires — long chains of bacteria that can span several centimeters.

Try this one pretty interesting.
Sample records for bacteria geobacter metallireducens from WorldWideScience.org

worldwidescience.org...

You seem to have a problem with the word eat :-) I think it is appropriate enough.

The team of researchers has now determined that bacteria can collaborate on transferring electrons. Quite a way down in the sea bed, bacteria convert food in the form of organic substances and hydrogen sulphide. They transmit the electrons in a network of wires presumably formed by the bacteria themselves. This network stretches right up to the surface of the sea bed, where other bacteria make sure the electrons react with oxygen. It could be said that some bacteria down in the sea bed “eat” on behalf of everyone, while others right at the top “breathe” for them all. Linked up this way, all bacteria get energy out of this electrical symbiosis.

scitech.au.dk... le/
edit on 19-7-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I fail to see the surprise over this find.. after all Humans, heck all animals with a Brain do produce loads of electricity everyday. About 25 watts, enough to light a light bulb. We are 100% organic just like this bacteria.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I think they conduct electricity not eat it......
How that fits their life cycle I don't understand but nano machines have just gotten a huge boost here.....

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
They eat and Pooo electrons?! Wait a minute ... Gel Pack Batteries like on ... Star Trek!

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Man-made...engineered in a lab...
edit on 19-7-2014 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I wanted to add that this wasn't as if they found totally electric bacteria...heh... or organisms composed of energy... though personal experience tells me this might be possible.

They simply found something that cut the biological b.s. and food energy middle-man chems... but as far as uses for something like this... that's my "wow-wee" moment.. .as in potentially revolutionizing electronics and electric utility.

I have long thought the near future technological wonders will primarily derive from micro organisms and genetically tweaking them for our use... think of dropping a colony on a pile of rubble and having a structure appear and be ready for habitation in a few days... without the bother of mini-machines as in nano-tech or grey sludge scenarios... nature has had nano-tech for billions of years.
edit on 7/19/2014 by Baddogma because: type-o I caught and bothered with...

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
electricity it form of life . all around us the reality it the electrical signals of neurons of the brain, she makes our hands habitat and will soon be able to live without a man ... believe it? I joked

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Now having said this, wouldn't this be the most interesting way of making a saltwater electricity plant. If they can feed off of the fifference in electrical charge in the water would this not allow for an almost unending supply of clean electricity?
Sorry if something similar was said I just had the idea and wanted to post it before I forgot. reply to: stormcell

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well I think this bacteria must have invaded my home wiring because my electric bill has been HUGE.
Seriously though, I don't quite understand how these bacteria could have any technological application. What happens if they die off or just don't grow because the conditions are not 100% right? Just doesnt seem real practical but maybe someone can explain.

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Biologists discover electric bacteria that eat pure electrons!!

So does that mean that tv show called 'Revolution' just might have some fact behind it ?

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I wouldn't think electrons would have much taste.

I suppose people could be infested with these critters and this causes them to charge things on their credit cards.
edit on 20-7-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Sadly I am not well versed in biology and chemistry to fully understand this. However may i be first to suggest what if they find the dna sequence that helps make this possible? What if this can be a quality placed into human cells? Would that make us able to be almost impossible to run out of energy?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: awakendhybrid

Good point, might enlighten our understanding of the nervous system.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I had to read the article again as I didn't believe it the first time.

I wonder if these little critters could provide a solution when Moores law eventually grinds to a halt. Bacterial computation anyone?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

SnF for the very interesting fringe find OP

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join