It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Are Beginning to Figure Out Why Conservatives Are…Conservative

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I dream of a time, that you wouldn't have to be mugged for what you have to begin with. Is that so bad?
Only when I lucid dream...

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Not Authorized

Where'd You come up with Cyrus?

I was talking about Jesus was the first Conservative . . . given that He was in the beginning and nothing was made that He didn't make.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

The definition of conservative has always been the same, from the beginning of time?

Isn't that a rather large assumption?

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I think the study is flawed at the onset. Does "negativity bias" make one more prone to being conservative, or does being conservative make one more prone to the bias?

This is a correlative study trying to show causation.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ATSmediaPRO

Wow that is a pretty large number of people for such a study. Over 17,000 though I am sure some will not be happy with it. They will not be happy with it because it doesn't confirm what they think about themselves.

Oh well studies usually don't aside from the online 20 or so feel good question, questionnaires except those aren't studies. When the mirror is deep enough no one likes everything they see. I am sure if such a study was done on my political leanings I wouldn't like all the findings either. Soon as I figure out which political group I am in I will look for such a study. Having insight into ones self is always a good thing even if it hurts at first.

I wonder what my father would have been considered. I would have called him a common sense conservative he didn't believe in any hocus pocus stuff and sometimes conceded the left was right but was still solidly in the conservative camp. He also had an IQ over 150 so that may skew things a bit. It was just cool he could talk politics with anyone from any camp without things ever getting heated. Now that took talent.
edit on 16-7-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18155271]MystikMushroom[/post

Your right about one thing, conservatives don't need pointy sticks anymore to stave off the monsters, the monsters need the conservatives to make up the tax base.

Do you really believe that being 2014 makes a difference in human nature.

I would think the BIGGY in change is when we stop killing each other, what do the scientist say about that ?

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I read this earlier...

Basically, it says that conservative people respond to fear/anger more so than liberal minded people. They hypothesize that this is a hold over from the Pleistocene era where being always "on guard" and defensive and holding to traditional, familiar values ensured survival.

Well, it's 2014...We don't have to hide in caves with sharp pointy sticks to stave off the monsters anymore...

I'm not really trying to be snarky, but i don't think you live where I live. Just today, I could have used a pointy stick to keep a stranger at bay.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Yes and no.

1. Conservatism in the sense that American Conservatives think of it . . . has . . . evidently over the centuries . . . stood more for maintaining a traditional stable status quo vs wild adventurisms chasing off after every new thought or fantasy of how to do things.

2. Yet, Conservatives have also been quite innovative as long as innovation supported family, community, church, education etc.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

See your post. You lied. Jesus was not the first to show liberal compassion. You bore false witness against thy neighbor, by making such an inaccurate statement in your post. It is misleading, and is a lie. This is a Sin. See: 10 Commandments, Bearing False Witness Against Thy Neighbor. Exodus 20:16. What is the judgment for sinners? You will not inherit the kingdom of God, per Revelation 21:8, see, liars.

Liar:
a person who tells lies.

Classical Liberalism:
Classical liberalism, a political or social philosophy advocating the freedom of the individual, parliamentary systems of government, nonviolent modification of political, social, or economic institutions to assure unrestricted development in all spheres of human endeavor, and governmental guarantees of individual rights and civil liberties.

Cyrus qualifies as the first "liberal". He is historically recognized as one. It was why he wrote what he felt, in stone.

According to the mythology of captive Babylonian Israel, Cyrus was the arm of YHWH, prophesied as a Messiah to deliver them from captivity. Cyrus was YHWH's chosen ally. See: Isaiah 48:14 / Book of Daniel.

You may wish to revise your statement to jive with history and your God's commandments.
edit on 17-7-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I THINK we must be in different galactic clusters . . . or different multiverses . . . . so to speak.

I'm curious if you relate to your relatives similarly.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I do. I have no problem explaining how Deuteronomy 18 and false prophets apply to the whole book. Thus, discrediting it all with it's own words.

Better hope I'm not involved with the prosecution with what you call the White Throne Judgement in that kind of multiverse. I have a tendency to take scripture "literal".

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Personally, I have a whole problem with the whole labeling thing. Am I liberal or conservative? Yes.

It depends upon the topic. I don't think those terms mean much anymore to anyone other than someone who wants to use them for their own ends. And a certain lazy nature most of us have to use things like this to make it simpler to pigeonhole people by assuming they have the characteristics we perceive people with that label have.

Democrat
Republican
Christian
Atheist
Conservative
Jew
Muslim
Liberal
Ivy Leaguer
Southerner

And a couple of thousand others. Each of those labels cause us to immediately categorize someone based upon our preconceived notion of what that that label means.

It's in some cases manipulative, it's definitely lazy, and it's worn out, old and boring. And it's why I generally refuse to self identify as any of them. None of them, even the more accurate ones, will give any real indication about who I am as an individual.

That's just me, though.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Let me see if I've got this straight...

A guy walks into a bar. Tells 26 people already in the bar, that he has discovered a possible reason why some people don't like beer. 23 of them accept his reasoning and continue to drink and dislike non-drinkers...

Does that about sum up this "science"?

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: GoOfYFoOt

Close. More like-

An exhausted man walks into a bar and orders a double shot.

"Long day?" the bartender asks.

"No, all days are 24 hours long" the man replies, amazed at how uneducated the bartender is.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Not Authorized

Better hope I'm not involved with the prosecution with what you call the White Throne Judgement in that kind of multiverse. I have a tendency to take scripture "literal".

I suspect . . . however . . . that you do so

WHEN it flatters your punitive, vengeful urges . . . mostly or exclusively.

I'm skeptical you do so when you'd be on the receiving end of the lash or stone.

In terms of the White Throne Judgment . . .

Given that God says His Mercy triumphs over His judgment,

I doubt your attitude and values are at the top of the list when they might be looking for employees.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Dear Bo,

I have repeatedly, attempted to offer olive branches of reason. Imploring you to use something called Critical Thinking.

Please, join us in reality. This is the year, 2014. You are talking about lashing or stoning me, for protecting and validating your rights too. And then, after that, proceed to turn around and tell me ME I have punitive vengeful urges? What the hell is wrong with you? What goes on in YOUR mind? There is a label we now have for this kind of behavior. It is called being a Sadist

I would never raise a stone or lash against you. Why would you even think of threatening violence? This was Jesus' message? Last I checked, he said let He who has not sinned, cast the first stone.

Sick. Absolutely sick.

Now, since ive reminded you of the year we all live in... We now call those kind of actions assault and battery in today's world. They are unlawful for a reason.

Lashing/Stoning = Assault with a dangerous weapon. Stoning is assault with intent to kill. Title 18 USC 113.

Now that I've said my peace, I still have questions about your blatant and obvious lie, saying that Jesus was the first "liberal". When clearly, Cyrus fits this definition, using your own scripture. Can you explain the obvious, and apparent, contradiction in your previous posts?

As for the great white throne.... I would use Matthew 7:12 as my guide. I am pretty sure the big J would do the same thing, as after all, he said it.

Sadly, not very many "admitted Christians" pay much attention to Jesus' teachings anymore. Especially when I run across posts like this, full of anger and hate.

Also, check yourself Bo. How sure are you that all multiverses are the same religion?

Respectfully,

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

What a slightly interesting extreme outburst of an over-reaction.

I merely tried to get you to see the paradoxical absurdities of your perspective

from a different perspective.

And all that fiercely hostile rant in my direction was the result.

Curious.

It does not appear that we can have the faintest hint of a meaningful dialogue.

Sad, that.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Given your threatening post . . . in terms of the White-Throne Judgment . . .

it boggles my mind that you'd accuse me of anything. Sheesh.

It really is dysfunctionally absurdly irrational for me to try further communication.

Si Jen.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Loved that analogy. Priceless.

In 3 sentences . . . how would you summarize your perspective on this research?

I ask because you seem to have a deeply perceptive perspective on it.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Is this not common knowledge? Look at the fear-mongers who jump at the propaganda that gives them their fix!

Just look at some of the recent threads on illegal immigration. All you have to do is drop the fear to realize that the information is highly biased. Just use your freaking noggin! I see the same fear-based bologna reasoning presented, and honestly am left clueless at times to even begin to counter these delusions people have.

You get a bunch of mildly psychotic individuals in the same threads, feeding off each others fear, and projecting out a version of reality that is just so far off base. I really feel for people new to this site who come in and don't know any better. I can't help but feel some of these individuals are a bit psychopathic and aware that they're steering the herd into utter delusion. The rest? I just don't know.
edit on 17-7-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join