It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Just Got Caught Stealing America's Energy Secrets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Russia Just Got Caught Stealing America's Energy Secrets

While much of the world has been focused on ISIS and the conflict in Iraq, a group of Russian hackers working on a project code-named Energetic Bear were discovered planting malware into computers at critical energy infrastructure across the U.S. and Europe that could steal documents and potentially disrupt operations at power plants, the electricity grid, or even oil and gas pipelines. This group of hackers is believed to either work for or alongside Russian government intelligence. If this is true, then we can also assume that the potentially stolen data is in the hands of Gazprom and Rosneft, the two largest oil and gas companies that are also partially owned by the state.

The knee-jerk reaction to this will likely stir some of those old Cold War sentiments. In reality, though, if it is true that Gazprom and Rosneft were stealing secrets from U.S.-based energy companies, then it's quite possibly one of the dumbest things it could have done right now. Let's take a look at what Russia could actually gain from stealing U.S. secrets, and why it may have shot itself in the foot in the process.

What's to gain?
The first thing that makes this news a bit of a head-scratcher is what these two companies could gain from stealing industry secrets. An analysis of this attack at CNNMoney suggested that these companies could find out where major oil companies like Exxonmobil (NYSE: XOM ) or BP (NYSE: BP ) have found oil and gas reserves and could beat them to it. This almost makes no sense whatsoever. First, any project that BP and Exxonmobil have in Russia is via a joint venture with one of these two companies, and the chances of Rosneft and Gazprom looking outside Russia or the former Soviet satellite nations is far-fetched. Why would they need to? Both companies have a pretty cushy relationship with the state, and their resource potential in Russia is immense. Rosneft estimates its recoverable resources in Russia to be 338 billion barrels, and Gazprom has over 1,100 trillion cubic feet of proved, probable, and possible gas reserves in country.

The most likely item that Russian oil and gas producers would want is information on how to extract unconventional resources using more advanced technology such as horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing. Access to this technology -- and protection from political sanctions -- is one of the major reasons that Russian companies have signed joint ventures with Western companies in the first place. If it were to have access to this technology and expertise without the need to take on a partner, it could cut these players out and develop Russia's unconventional resources on their own. This would give Gazprom, Rosneft, and, by default, Russia much greater control of their own resources and command of the global oil and gas market.

Click link for remainder of article..

Ah yes.. Nothing like turning a country into a midnight highway robber.

Surprised? - Nope
Is this normal? - Absolutely

More often than naught industrial espionage can have a greater impact than military espionage can.

This goes to show that Russia is not the nice country some on this site like to think they are and that Russia is merely in the league of ordinary nations, just like the US and all others.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

You do realize the source is tiled fool right? its like the onion in ways and also the source isnt trust able. But hey do continue whats next China Stealing F35 PLANS?
edit on 9-7-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

The Motley Fool is a multimedia financial-services company that provides financial solutions for investors through various stock, investing, and personal finance products. The Alexandria, Virginia-based private company was founded in July 1993 by co-chairmen and brothers David and Tom Gardner, and Erik Rydholm, who has since left. The company employs more than 300 people.

wiki

I think you are mistaken.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
You'd think, after the discovery of Stuxnet, that by now all "critical" infrastructure, power stations etc would be completely self contained and off the net entirely. Sure would make sense, given the dire consequences of not doing so.
This "Energetic Bear" thing also has the hallmarks of a misdirection all over it. I mean, why name it so that everyone knows exactly where to point the finger of accusation?
Like many hacking situations, simply saying the attack originates in a certain location is no guarantee that it is actually controlled from there, it might simply be a zombie network routing any stolen data to a completely different location behind the scenes.
Hell, even our own governments and their cyber warfare units engage in such activity - even though it's supposedly illegal - so misdirection is the name of the game, covering tracks is essential. Understanding that, the Energetic Bear activity seems more and more suspicious and likely a Western Frame-up, rather than credible.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Russia says Mwuahahaha

Did anyone REALLY think Russia wasn't doing the same? I mean really!

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

The Motley Fool is a multimedia financial-services company that provides financial solutions for investors through various stock, investing, and personal finance products. The Alexandria, Virginia-based private company was founded in July 1993 by co-chairmen and brothers David and Tom Gardner, and Erik Rydholm, who has since left. The company employs more than 300 people.

wiki

I think you are mistaken.

Still the article seemed very rush and not professional in terms of journalistic approach almost as if LOOK EVIL Russians trying to steal America Supplies Quick GET THE BRAVO HER MCCAIN.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I have a lot of difficulty with these sorts of claims.

Since the conflict in the Ukraine there has been many of these sorts of threads. As Paul Craig Roberts admirably explains, its clearly the US government that is the aggressor in the Ukraine through their proxies in the Ukraine.

I can only conclude that the people who post the threads are working for the alphabet agencies doing their bit to portray the Russians as the baddie. I read very little about the wrongdoing of the US interfering in the internal affairs of the Ukraine. In a referendum 74 % of the people of Crimea voted to join Russia all the US who claims to believe in the democratic process can do is say that Russia has annexed Crimea.

Have you Americans no shame? You certainly have no integrity. Your trust is destroyed. Why should I believe anything you say??

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Well, based on the assumption that this is true, my personal impression is that it's toytown stuff really.

Don't get me wrong, espionage for commercial gain, very bad.

On the other hand; heading up a regime of sanctions, erroneously, against one country that killed who knows how many, then effectively turning it to dust after 10 years of those very sanctions, for clear and direct gain as documented in various threads on this site. I suspect that is somewhat worse.

Glass Houses, just sayin.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

This goes to show that Russia is not the nice country some on this site like to think they are and that Russia is merely in the league of ordinary nations, just like the US and all others.

In light of all the information that has surfaced regarding the depth of 'snooping' by the NSA, I am having a hard time eliciting any outrage or emotional response whatsoever.

The world has become a very corrupt place. It is up to each of us now to take a stand. We can live our life so as to add to the corruption, or stand up for what is right and live our lives accordingly.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

You don't think America's doing the same - and has been for some time?

This goes to show America is not the nice victim like you all make them out to be.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

So we can assume you take RT's news as gospel?

Everyone gets caught with their pants down, notice how this isn't mainstream news? No one cares.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
You guys are a bit off base on my position on this and if you read my op and took the time to understand you would not have missed this -

As I stated in the OP I am merely pointing out to those who support Russia and who seem to think Russia can do no wrong, is just as guilty as everyone else doing the same, including the United States.

I'm just annoyed at their holier than thou attitudes on Russian actions coupled with the typical Pro Russians who like to run their mouth in a thread and make accusations whens its clear they failed to read the entire op post - as you have appeared to do Agit8dChop by making the comment you did.
edit on 9-7-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: KnowledgeSeeker81

They've given us vodka, hot women, great painters and musical composers, and that's just scratching the surface. I have no problem with these people. I wish nothing but the best for the people of this harsh land.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Just because people make the obvious point that the US has been doing the same thing for a long, long time and don't even mention the NSA doesn't make them 'pro Russian'.

It just means they're willing to point out the fact America is far from a victim, If I really wanted to be critical I'd say that this wasnt about stealing secrets and thats a load of crap, its about control and sabotage.

If this occurred and it brought the US to its knee's id be very pro USA very quickly.

Is that ok with you, boss?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
Germany gave us a lot more

Modern Russia is no threat. The media hype is just that. No one is launching nukes anytime soon.

On that note there is a cute Russian girl that is becoming a regular at my shop.

I will date her to find out secrets!

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Yet it is about stealing secrets.
All sides have done it, as I pointed out in my op.
You for some reason ignored it and tried to make a point I had already made.

The NSA is not the only spy agency the Us uses, and the big names from the other countries are in the same boat.

As I pointed out, and that you ignored, the US does the same.

trying to be pissed about US actions in this case is a moot point don't ya think chuckles.. even more so since I pointed out the very point you tried to make by ignoring what I said and then repeating it.

So, I will ask -
What part of

is tripping you up?

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
chuckles, hah!

I suppose it doesn't really make a difference, anyone who's paid attention to the last 12years knows who's been the more corrupt and murderous nation, stealing countries secrets and sabotaging nations efforts and improving themselves.
War, mayhem, bombing then convincing people its all in the name of democracy?

Even with Russia's occasional reporter murder or spy fiasco, compared to the US, they're a saint these days.

As for the power plants? Id say you should be more worried of your own government and citizens doing something dangerous. Your own people are much more violent than Russia, through sheer stupidity and gun lust.

America has much bad karma coming its way and many of those same nations you've bullied, bribed and blackmailed will look to Russia, interesting days ahead. Especially for Pro American Patriots who ignore the crimes their nation commits cause, lets be honest USA IS #1

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I'll echo those sentiments. Hold on, I already have, I already have, I already have, I already have,I already have,I already have,I already have,I already have...
edit on 9-7-2014 by myselfaswell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Just LOL!
One would expect and guard against their "enemy" stealing from them, shame on us.
What one should not have to expect is their "ally" stealing from them (such as israel), then allowing them to get away with it...
Shame on us again.

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is extremely common place in the energy sector.

It happens all the time and is Company vs Company more often than Country vs Country. This time just happens to be between companies from countries on different sides of a political dispute.

From my personal experience, I have found no difference between the US, Canadian, British, Russian, etc...energy companies. Everybody does it to everybody else, and they are all extremely cut throat about it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join