It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House requests $3.7 billion in emergency funds for border crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Obama has officially asked Congress for 3.7 billion dollars to cover additional costs related to the very recent border crossings by 52,000 unaccompanied children and 39,000 women with children.

I suppose those 39,000 women with children could easily bring the total to 140,000 at least.

Most are not from Mexico, they're from other Central American countries.

We know from existing laws that the U.S. must accommodate the children as they may be victims of human trafficking.

We also know the U.S. can immediately deport children and anybody else back to Mexico as long as we know they are actually from there. Evidently the "human trafficking" part does not apply to Mexican Nationals?

We should also be asking if these non-Mexican immigrants are requesting Mexican visas and have been denied? Or are they in direct route to the U.S. via guides and whatnot?

I wonder exactly how border agents determine the country of origin if the people have no passport etc ?

The "detainees" are held over for court. Some in detention centers, some may be let go, and some may be routed to relatives already in the U.S. and whatever other options are available by law.

And they receive medical care as well.

Tricky situation that seems to be overloading the systems.

The money is for a host of reasons. Republicans are asking for more details and may be suspicious for various reasons.

The numbers in the article appear further down...

The White House on Tuesday formally requested $3.7 billion in emergency funding from Congress to deal with an influx of Central American minors along the southern border. But the proposal was quickly met with broad skepticism among Republican lawmakers, who were doubtful that the package would be approved quickly — if at all.

Administration officials said the request is part of a comprehensive strategy aimed at building more detention centers, adding immigration judges, and beefing up border patrols and air surveillance. President Obama has said he hopes such steps will both speed deportations and discourage adults from sending children on a dangerous, sometimes deadly, trip north. ..........

More than 52,000 unaccompanied minors and 39,000 women with children have been apprehended on the southern border this year, far more than in past years. Most have come from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras; those countries would receive funding under Obama’s proposal to help repatriate their citizens after they are returned home.

I wonder why these reasons for the money are requested now? They clearly knew the problems were coming since last year when the increased number of people started. and when they were soliciting for transportation in January.

White House requests $3.7 billion in emergency funds for border crisis

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
And yet we won't take care of our own vets.

Truly shameful.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Obama gotta pocket as much as he can before leaving office dontcha know ..

What better way to do it than to create a crisis then ask for money to clean it up ..

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Let me get this straight, $3,700,000,000 for 91,000 illegal immigrants, is that right? That's a cost of $40,659.34 per illegal immigrant.

Give them a cheque for $10,000 each that can only be cashed in their country of origin and a plane ticket back there and guess what, the US taxpayers save about 2.8 billion dollars. Or cut a cheque for each vet that needs the help and send out the $2.8 billion where it will really help.

What is that matter with this Obama idiot?

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/8.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: missed the word "this" because I was pissed off

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Butbutbut. . . .

. . . . isn't there a "net loss" in illegal aliens?

If there was, shouldn't there be a surplus in their budget to take care of such a tiny few illegal aliens?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
26000 per person? They already have a budget for this so this is in addition to that budget.

What is it going to cost us to put up aliens from outer space? I bet they will cost double.
edit on 8-7-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
What is this mess? Is he serious?! The Veterans, the poor, homeless children in the country, can't even take care of them the way things are going.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
3.7 billion for 140,000 people?

What are they handing out gold nuggets?

Ugh.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Obama gotta pocket as much as he can before leaving office dontcha know ..

What better way to do it than to create a crisis then ask for money to clean it up ..

You know that was my thought exactly, create crises, tension, animosity, enemy, debt, confusion.
Almost like a terrorist attack that isnt

How much more of this type of debt can the US economy sustain, how much more of a debt burden will the US citizens be asked to carry
This just cant continue
Other countrys have lost respect for US financial policy and then it just gets worse

Im not from the US, its just how I see it

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

You're on the right track, but the actual number of people is confusing.

More than 52,000 unaccompanied minors and 39,000 women with children have been apprehended on the southern border this year, far more than in past years. Most have come from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras; those countries would receive funding under Obama’s proposal to help repatriate their citizens after they are returned home.

52000 kids with no adults.

39000 women with children.

no mention of how many "accompanied" children.

Maybe the total is 150,000 ??

Maybe the big money is for corruption?

Lots of possibilities with Obama.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
...and I bet congress will give it to him because this the #ed up reality that we live in and if they don't then THAT will be shocking...

If congress is truly fed up with him they should act like it and NOT give him the money.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Let me get this straight, $3,700,000,000 for 91,000 illegal immigrants, is that right? That's a cost of $40,659.34 per illegal immigrant.

Give them a cheque for $10,000 each that can only be cashed in their country of origin and a plane ticket back there and guess what, the US taxpayers save about 2.8 billion dollars. Or cut a cheque for each vet that needs the help and send out the $2.8 billion where it will really help.

What is that matter with this Obama idiot?

Cheers - Dave

The hope is that they will become consumers of items like TV's, cars, gas, food, water, and all of that involves paying money into the economy. In the meantime, the government has to pay for guards, doctors, nurses and cooks.
edit on 8-7-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Don't think he's going to get it though. At least I hope not.

Hours after the Obama administration requested $3.7 billion in emergency funding to address the current child immigration crisis at the southern border, few on Capitol Hill were predicting speedy passage — if at all — of legislation to provide Obama with the money he has requested.
Obama funding request faces tough path on Capitol Hill

Personally I wouldn't give Obama a single penny for this. Not when we have so many problems nationally happening to our own citizens and especially the veterans.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Butbutbut. . . .

. . . . isn't there a "net loss" in illegal aliens?

If there was, shouldn't there be a surplus in their budget to take care of such a tiny few illegal aliens?

That is the magic question indeed.

And the money mentioned is for more buildings.

Hint that might mean 250,000 more are "expected" ??

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
And this.

"More than $600 million of the emergency spending request would go to fight wildfires in Western states."

What does wildfires have to do with securing the borders?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Buy some cheap tents from some discount store and stick the kids in there. Sure....make it nice so more come and the money keeps rolling into the local economy. Maybe the towns there are paying for someone to hauli truckloads of them to that area to generate income for local businesses..

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

"Wildfires" probably code for "Obama's bank account"

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
What the EFF ?

3.7 billion dollars ?

THREE BILLION DOLLARS ?

GD where the eff is my 'fair share' ?

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Didn't you hear?

Mexicans are actually middle eastern terrorists that light wildfires now.

posted on Jul, 8 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

Didn't you hear?

Mexicans are actually middle eastern terrorists that light wildfires now.

Well hell that makes sense.

Them UAC's are running to 'Merika' to escape them 'terrorists'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join