It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Luxembourg passes gay marriage bill, 11th EU country to enact the change

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
As Luxembourg goes, so goes Andorra (no, I do not know if Andorra has gay marriage). The 11th country in the EU to enact gay marriage, which will go into effect in 2015 (couples will have to cool their jets for quite awhile, hopefully they can wait that long to consummate their relationship, as the article says Luxembourg is 87 percent catholic. We all know catholics have to wait until marriage to stimulate someone else's nerve endings), the bill passed by a vote of 56-4.

www.lifesitenews.com...

LUXEMBOURG – With a vote on Wednesday of 56-4, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg has become the eleventh European Union member state and the seventeenth country in the world to create legal “gay marriage.” The law, which will come into effect in 2015, also includes the right of same-sex partners to adopt children.

“With this law, we do not throw overboard all the values of our society,” Green MP Viviane Loschetter said in a statement. “All we have done is give equal rights to gay people. We formally recognize a form of relationship that has always existed.”

The tiny EU nation, where 87 per cent of citizens register as Catholics, decriminalized homosexual acts in 1794 while it was under French jurisdiction, and gave legal recognition to same-sex “partenariats” in 2004.

edit on 23-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
What, no Luxembourgians logged on? Or maybe this kind of news is old hat now, and the world has turned away from this as an issue to be focused on. Nah. It's that no Luxembourgians are logged on. Maybe I'll bump it later when he gets off work.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Finally all problems in this world of ours are resolved.

Now that Luxembourg has signed the bill, will be no more hunger, war and poverty in the world. Hooray to gay marriage, the biggest issue of our time!!!

edit on 23-6-2014 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Every time I see another state or country that puts to rest old, outdated, discriminatory laws about marriage, I rejoice a little bit. Way to go Luxembourg!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Telos

So inequality and injustice are OK with you? Granted equal rights is a new thing. Not like hunger and war which have been around since before recorded history. Why don't we wait until we fix those first.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Doesn't it seem strange that all these countries 'suddenly' decide to allow gay marriage.

I find it highly unlikely that each country has acted independently.

So.... I wonder who's agenda this really is???

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: hardbob

A common sense agenda?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: Telos

So inequality and injustice are OK with you? Granted equal rights is a new thing. Not like hunger and war which have been around since before recorded history. Why don't we wait until we fix those first.

And me thinking differently from you is a problem? Just explain in what part of my comment you got the feeling that I was ok with injustice and inequality? And yes, I'd rather fix first hunger, poverty and war rather than gay issues. That plainly means I don't care about the latest. But by it absolutely doesn't mean that I'm ok with inequality and injustice.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
We all know catholics have to wait until marriage to stimulate someone else's nerve endings

You clearly know no Catholics!

I come from the "live and let live" side of life. I have no problems with gay marriage and welcome this as social progress. This type of advancement confounds those counties and cultures who are still executing, imprisoning and persecuting gay people and/or, in the case of places like Russia, actively vilifying them.

Regards

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
So goes the world. In the US it is only a matter of courts in each state hearing a case because we know what the results will be. Sometimes the world changes for the better.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Telos
And yes, I'd rather fix first hunger, poverty and war rather than gay issues.

But equality for everyone is a fairly simple thing to fix as much of it was created by outdated, ignorant laws in the first place.

But hunger, poverty, war - there are no "laws" creating those problems. That's something far deeper, far more broken in humanity. That won't be fixed by a single nation agreeing to right a wrong.

Whereas gay rights, is something that can be fixed, fairly easily. And I'm not downplaying the importance or the injustices gay people have gone through - all I'm saying is in the big picture of things that are "wrong" or broken in the world, gay rights are one of the "easy wins" because it's logical, it's rational and it makes sense.

But the others you mention - those are far more difficult to solve. So, start small, and work up.
edit on 23-6-2014 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the interesting discussion. When I put the thread up it was after seeing this bit of news somewhere, going to its source, and finding this. In a way its kind of humorous, which is why the catholic joke. And the Andorra joke (I did check, and no gay marriage in Andorra as yet). I won't get into the war is hell so fix hell before fixing the plumbing very much, just to say that there's a lot that needs fixing and some of the things seem to be getting done. This gay marriage thing just rolled along, and I think the public in America was really first aware of even the concept of gay when Ellen DeGeneres whispered into an airport microphone on her sitcom, "I'm gay".

And so she was. A long time ago, as is talked about in the Michael Douglas 'Liberace' film, the American public couldn't recognize gay if it bit them. They knew nothing about it. Liberace was a colorful man, but everyone was sure he went home to a wife after the show. He probably even had women slipping him their room keys.

Anyway, this thread is about Luxembourg and what this ruling means to them. I personally know nobody in Luxembourg, and have not been there. Now when Andorra adopts gay marriage, that's another story...
edit on 23-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Doesn't it seem strange that all these countries 'suddenly' decide to allow gay marriage.

In the case of the EU, yes, they are acting in concert. It get's approved at the EU level and filters down to national Governments to enact - same as the smoking ban, for example.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
As aways the gays never stop asking for more and to hell with the rights of religious people to have a say or anyone else.

Gays preach hate towads anyone that does not like what they are doing and think they have a veto on freedom of speech much like the jews do.

I would never welcome US military service men in to my home and I would not welcome homosexuals, it is my right to decide who and what i like no matter how loud the gay right activists bitch about it.

Time and again I see gays becoming abusive and aggresive and then they try to tar anyone that does not agree with them as being just like they are and few can debate the isue like adults.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

They aren't really asking for much, just to be equals. Marriage and non-discrimination at work or in seeking a job, maybe non-discrimination in housing, etc. Once gays have equal rights (hence the phrase, equal rights) the gay movement is over. One for the history books. In fact that's already started, as HBO has a new movie about the California proposition 8 Supreme Court case (I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my to-view list).

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

What are you dribbling on about?

Who is ignoring the rights of "religious people"?

How are their rights being infringed?

How does what anyone gets up to in the bedroom or elsewhere in their life affect you?

And who is being aggressive?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: VirusGuard
few can debate the isue like adults.

Your post proves that.
If you want to debate the issue like an adult, I can do that all day long, but saying things like "gays preach hate", "veto on freedom of speech much like the jews do" just shows your position to be one of bigotry.
edit on 6/24/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Suddenly? What world do you even live in?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

The equal rights they seek are far above the rights of normal people on the streets !

if I decide that i won't make a cake for fishermen then thats the end of it but do the same with gays and all hell breaks loose.

A dirty old man has the right to marry a 16 year old kid and will take flack for it, its how things work and people have a right not to agree and the same should go for gays without all these laws trying to ban anyone from having a say on the subject.

Were we so wrong 40 years ago and do remember that most people from around the world don't like gays and governments only protrect them so that the IMF will givbe them loans so don't tell me that the NWO is not behind the promotion of gays and thinks it can force people into all thinking the same.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: VirusGuard
a reply to: Aleister

The equal rights they seek are far above the rights of normal people on the streets !

What rights do they want that no one else has?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join