It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia GOP candidate Jody Hice: Muslims not protected by the First Amendment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
Do the Muslims believe in free speech?

Let's say I make a movie about .... Let's say the Innocence of Muslims, do you think they will embrace my free speech rights or do you think they want the movie banned?

How about if I were to draw a picture of Mohammad? Will my office be bombed.

Why afford them with our protections if they don't believe in our laws?

This is what I really "LOVE about 'merika'."

I just wish the Republican candidates would read the Constitution before running for office, it would cut down the "idiot factor" during an election. If a person is an American citizen, or in the U S, you can not deny them the rights mentioned in the Constitution without due process of the law. Being a Muslim is not against the law any more than being a conservative would be.

Seriously, it is our history of treating others better than they treat us, you know "the golden rule", that has always made the American people so envied around the world. It doe not matter what they believe, it is our beliefs that make show the world what we are.
If you will notice, I did not say the American government nor American corporations. In my opinion these are the primary villians in our foriegn relations
edit on 23-6-2014 by teamcommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Most American Muslims do. Yeah, I feel fairly safe in saying that.

Let's say I make a movie about .... Let's say the Innocence of Muslims, do you think they will embrace my free speech rights or do you think they want the movie banned?

Doesn't matter. Your free speech rights are just as important as theirs.

How about if I were to draw a picture of Mohammad? Will my office be bombed.

Seems unlikely. Though there is always a chance that some zealot might try something like that. Would that be a reason to curtail that rights of those Muslims who weren't bombing your office, and are against it?

They're citizens of this country. Period. They have the same rights as a Catholic. Or Buddhist. Agnostic. Atheist. ...Or any other 'ist you care to mention.

Anything else makes us what this stupid person seems to fear so much.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Corruption Exposed

I believe in freedom for all religions in the United States I am just curious if they will try to change our ways like they have in other places in the world.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: teamcommander

Never said being a Muslim is or should be against the law I simply asked a question.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Where do you draw the line. There are plenty of laws I don't believe in....wanna stop me from speaking my mind on ATS, in public, everywhere?

I find it strange how some of our more conservative members who laud the founding fathers cherry pick the constitution to fit their ideology.

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington

I'm not drawing any Lines or stopping anyone from speaking their minds I simply asked will muslims that come here to the United States follow or believe in free speech.

Who here in this thread has cherry picked anything.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
“Although Islam has a religious component, it is much more than a simple religious ideology,” Rev. Jody Hice wrote in his 2012 book It’s Now Or Never, according to Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It is a complete geo-political structure and, as such, does not deserve First Amendment protection.”

The EXACT same thing could be said about Christianity... I wonder if the Good Reverend thinks Christians also do not deserve first amendment rights...

It doesn't matter! A person who doesn't believe in the right still has the right!

Wanting a movie banned and protesting about it ARE free speech rights.

"Our laws"? They're their laws, too, if they live here. Jesus! DO you understand freedom of religion? Freedom of speech? I don't think so.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Never said being a Muslim is or should be against the law I simply asked a question.

I did not say you did.
I was actually refering to the material in the OP, in which there seemed to be some question about a Muslims rights.

edit on 23-6-2014 by teamcommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Ignorance at its finest wow........

Constitution applies to anyone who is a US citizen......doesnt matter your religion , lack of religion or anything else......

Almost reminds me of the guy who thought guam was going to flip over.....thats the level of stupid we have here

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This topic brings to mind Japanese internment camps during WWII.

Sometimes freedom means taking risks.

This is one of those times.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I just wish the Republican candidates would read the Constitution before running for off

Obama was a constitutional lawyer.............and he doesnt seem to have the faintest clue about anything in the constitution......and hes the PRESIDENT

its not just relegated to republicans.........

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
This topic brings to mind Japanese internment camps during WWII.

Sometimes freedom means taking risks.

This is one of those times.

Nationality and religion are completely different criteria, and in my opinion are difficult to fit within the same category. The internment of the Japanese was out of fear that Japanese Americans may be loyal to the Japanese government, so as much as I found the internment to be extreme (it happened in Canada too) I do not find it comparable to religion and here is why...

When USA invaded Afghan then Iraq, they didn't round up all the Muslims and put them in camps. Heck, many American Muslims are white with no ties whatsoever to "Islamic countries". I guess if we were to continue with this train of thought, the next time you invaded a Muslim country, it would be okay to round up the Muslims because "freedom means taking risks" in your own words to be exact.

My main point is that I find your comparison to be flawed and unjust.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I understand our laws and rights my question is do they?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Feel all you want.

I see irrational fear coming from this joker.

The same irrational fear that led to the camps.

Sounds like you are more for this person than against.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Feel all you want.

I see irrational fear coming from this joker.

The same irrational fear that led to the camps.

Your interpreted the exact opposite of what I posted, whether it was accidental or on purpose I will never know but that was a nice deflection on your behalf.

I illustrated in great detail why your logic is flawed and you accuse me of supporting the goof-ball in the OP just because I disagree with you even though I clearly spoke against the goof-ball in the OP in several posts?

Not looking for a confrontation here Beez but you are not making any sense here.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

You're the one being confrontational.

I'm simply stating that this persons irrational fear is the same thinking that brought about the interment camps. My opinion. Like it, ignore it. Don't give a damn.

Go pick a fight somewhere else.

I'm not interested.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I understand our laws and rights my question is do they?

I'm sure American Muslims understand our laws to the same degree as any other group in this country. There are MANY people of other religions who do not understand our laws. That's clear. And it doesn't matter. Even if I don't understand free speech, for example, that doesn't mean it gets taken away from me. Agreed?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

IMHO, it doesn't matter. Whether they understand them, and I'd have to say American Muslims do understand, or not, laws protecting all Americans apply.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The person making this statement is either an idiot, ignorant, or confused. As a transplant to Georgia, I know which of those three I'd choose.

originally posted by: seagull
It's really very easy to deal with you know...

Don't vote for the moron.

To call his thought idiotic would be an understatement. ...and a lot of people will not vote for him because of it. Though there will be some who will...more's the pity.

Up to us, or the folks like us who live in Georgia, to make sure he doesn't get into office, isn't it?

Yeah lets hope.

Also, you'd be surprised at how many people run unopposed in Georgia elections. I know I was and remain so even after over two decades.

edit on 6/23/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Actually, the same sort of fear is evident here.

Fear of their loyalty, though with differing shades of gray. If that makes any sense.

This silly would be Congress critter is fearing that muslims wish to overthrow our way of life, and replace it with Sharia, or some such thing...

It was feared in Govt. circles that Japanese americans would be disloyal to America, and seek to replace it with the Emperor, or something along those lines...

Obviously, to anyone with a sense of morality, both are reprehensible patterns of thought.

I could see, were the worst come to pass, Muslims being ostracized in society in general, or removed entirely. There is a historical precedence for just such action, after all.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Go pick a fight somewhere else.

I'm not interested.

I'm not letting you off the hook that easily my furry little friend. You made a rather bold accusation and when confronted about it ran away with your tail between your legs - not the first time.

You specifically said:

I believe as a fellow member I deserve an explanation as to why you think this, especially after I clearly voiced my disagreement with what was being said by the politician in the OP from the state of GA.

You took my post, twisted it, and then say I am being confrontational and picking a fight and decided to sever all forms of dialogue? Sounds like you can't take the heat.

At least it's here for everyone to see.

No disrespect to the OP, I tried to stay on topic as possible - I just don't appreciate deflections in the form of false accusations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join