It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia GOP candidate Jody Hice: Muslims not protected by the First Amendment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

A Republican candidate seeking to represent Georgia’s 10th U.S. House district believes that the First Amendment’s guarantee of religious liberty does not apply to followers of Islam.

“Although Islam has a religious component, it is much more than a simple religious ideology,” Rev. Jody Hice wrote in his 2012 book It’s Now Or Never, according to Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It is a complete geo-political structure and, as such, does not deserve First Amendment protection.”

Uh oh, looks like Rev. Jody Hice has never heard of the Crusades; which in my opinion are still in progress. Geopolitics indeed.
This is a very slippery slope to deny anyone first amendment rights. But it really doesn't surprise me the, coming from a person with a theological perspective. Invariably it's used as a control mechanism, rather than a tool for salvation imo.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
There is no salvation for anyone, only hope for something better in the future than what we have to deal with now.

People like the tard this thread is about make it obvious how nearly hopeless a situation we find ourselves being forced to deal with.

Religion absolutely should not be allowed to influence politics, and any politician that spouts religious hoo hah should be banned form politics forever.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ladies and gentlemen.
I've been proposing for some time that anyone running for public office needs to take a minimum qualifications test of the way the United States runs. Add a drug test in there as well.

No way someone like this should be voted into office.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It's really very easy to deal with you know...

Don't vote for the moron.

To call his thought idiotic would be an understatement. ...and a lot of people will not vote for him because of it. Though there will be some who will...more's the pity.

Up to us, or the folks like us who live in Georgia, to make sure he doesn't get into office, isn't it?
edit on 6/23/2014 by seagull because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Slippery slope indeed...

What frightens me more is that this thread will most likely be full of people who agree with him- the same members who are always pointing out their displeasure about how their constitution and bill of rights are being trampled on.

I guess it only applies if it works in their favor?

This person is just a bigoted, uneducated hate-monger and sadly there are many just like him.

ETA:

I corrected my assumed gender of the politician thanks to theantediluvian.
edit on 6/23/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: gender correction

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Corruption Exposed

Pretty much. Yep. I'd have to say I agree with that.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Apparently proof that yes, any moron with a stance can run for political office.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Religion and politics...ugh!

Preachers and politicians are just alike. They have an agenda to push down our throats.

The Constitution is all that really matters. And, We have the Bill of Rights that protect our religious liberty.

When he says Islam is not just religion, but is a cultural and geo-political way of life, he is right. He is probably worried that the First Amendment might be used to protect Sharia Law or some such practice used by certain factions of Islam. But, the Laws of our land (as they currently stand) will trump Sharia or any other illegal practice.

This is why, imo, who gets appointed to the courts and especially the Supreme Court, is much more important than elected officials who are limited by terms served.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Corruption Exposed

It's a dude but I agree with you — a lot of people are only concerned with their own civil liberties and are ready to trample all over somebody else's whenever it's convenient.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Do these people even read what the constitution says??
Right to religious freedom, Islam is a religion...

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Do the Muslims believe in free speech?

Let's say I make a movie about .... Let's say the Innocence of Muslims, do you think they will embrace my free speech rights or do you think they want the movie banned?

How about if I were to draw a picture of Mohammad? Will my office be bombed.

Why afford them with our protections if they don't believe in our laws?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Add a drug test in there as well.

Good call - with a zero tolerance policy too.

How these people get elected into positions of power is beyond me - it must be rigged.....

The only conclusion that accounts for the insane decisions that come out of Washington is that they must all be off their chops - regularly.

So, yes, drug and alcohol testing all round

edit on 23-6-2014 by Sublimecraft because: rant about electing idiots into office.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Being from the South [Texas] I think I can safely say that "Southerners" genuinely think differently.

Daily life, everything in fact, is colored by the Protestant Christian religion. I don't find it unusual that

Politics and religion are joined at the hip in the South. And it's not in the least usual for politicians to wear their piety on their sleeves hoping to garner favor with the largely GOP controlled conservative mindset.

Broad strokes...just my perspective. I wonder how Rev. Jody feels about Catholics? Talk about a "complete geopolitical structure".....

I love it when politicians combine irony with hypocrisy....
edit on 23-6-2014 by olaru12 because: I love you Judith!!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Exactly. I think that is where the conundrum lies. Their religion (or some factions of it) teach things that are against our Laws.

However, Laws can be changed. When you change the make-up of the populace, the courts will change. When the courts change, the laws are nudged toward changes that will reflect and support what the populace wants.

How do you change the make-up of the current populace? Immigration....legal AND illegal. Get enough illegals into the country, then legalize them by law...and...VOILA! America has been "fundamentally changed".

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Let's say I make a movie about .... Let's say the Innocence of Muslims, do you think they will embrace my free speech rights or do you think they want the movie banned?

How about if I were to draw a picture of Mohammad? Will my office be bombed.

In your opinion, should Islam be exempted from the criteria which meets the first Amendment?

You raised some valid points, don't get me wrong, but when they come to the USA, become citizens and follow your laws their religion should not matter.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I can't believe there are already a couple people in this thread defending that line of thought.

What makes this statement worse is that it is written in a book...it wasn't a heat of the moment off the cuff comment...this person actually sat down, thought this out, wrote it, discussed it with their editor (hopefully), and then thought it made enough sense to go to print.

But, this person will still get thousands of votes...because there is a large group in this country that actually does think just like him.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
you are correct. The Muslim religion is the
same as politics and social law.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Where do you draw the line. There are plenty of laws I don't believe in....wanna stop me from speaking my mind on ATS, in public, everywhere?

I find it strange how some of our more conservative members who laud the founding fathers cherry pick the constitution to fit their ideology.

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington

edit on 23-6-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Has it occurred to anyone else that if someone was a serious political candidate in the United States and they actually believed something like this, they wouldn't just come right out and say it while running for election? Or even after being elected?

The dumbest people I know would have enough common sense to know America is far too liberal for this to be good publicity.

What does it do when a Republican says something like this? It gives the other side a boost. Why would they do that?

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
And this happens all the time too. Not just with religion. It also happens with race and gender.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join