It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIchelle Obama: I Couldn't Feed My Kids Right - Even With A Harvard Degree

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Well as someone on a ketogenic diet pasta will kick me out of ketosis faster than even bread.

In regard to the glycemic index, that will vary depending on how you cook pasta. The firmer the pasta the lower the GI.

Italians and med style diets tend to cook pasta firmer or "al dente". This lowers them on the GI scale.

Spaghetti cooked the way most Americans cook it is not only high on the GI scale but also high in carbohydrates which in general is just not good for you in excess.

Also keep in mind the glycemic index simply indicates how a particular food effects insulin spikes/current blood sugar levels. It has nothing to do with long term weight gains or overall blood sugar levels over extended periods of time. It is useful for those with diabetes but for others such as those trying to lose weight they'd be better off counting carbs.

It's like comparing bread versus sugar and stating that bread is good for you because it's GI is lower. This may or may not be true depending on how you look at it. It's like eating a twinkie now or cutting it in half and eating one half now and the other half two hours from now. In the end you are still eating a whole twinkie, it's just how your body processes it that has changed. In regard to losing weight you want to NOT eat the twinkie at all. Hope that example makes sense.

Excess carbohydrates and not saturated fat are the cause of many of our new found health problems(coincidentally the obesity epidemic started emerging after the government started telling everyone to eat less fat and that saturated fat was the boogie man).

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
"MIchelle Obama: I Couldn't Feed My Kids Right - Even With A Harvard Degree"

Not surprising.

Michelle is a classic example of somebody who is "educated" beyond their abilities.

She was a flunky lawyer who became a flunky administrator.

So naturally she would be a perfect flunky advisor for just about anything bureaucratic.

Another complete failure of society.

And she lies a lot too, just like Barack and Hillary, and 1000's of their ilk.

She could easily be elected Mayor of Chicago.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

one4all, you say we need full disclosure laws that force companies to disclose what is in their food. Have you considered there may be non-violent solutions to such problems that don't infringe against people's right to free speech? For example, you could only buy well-labeled products and get in a group with other people who also only buy well-labeled product. Before you know it, well-labeled products will be available without forcing people to speak at gun point. What do you think of that idea?

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
You can supplement your veggie diet by growing your own. While my kids were in single digit ages I had a small garden (plant beds, not rows) grown organically. I grew tomatoes, broccoli, brussels, black eyed peas, okra and cantaloupe.

If you have a yard it is quite doable. If you live in an apartment it makes it tough to grow enough to amount to much.

I find broccoli to be the best veggie to feed your kids and usually is fairly well accepted steamed with a bit of melted butter and a touch of salt. It is not horribly expensive. Lima beans or butter beans of some type is also good. Re: cooking spinach. Why bother? Makes a great salad raw and is healthier too. If you want cooked greens try turnip and my favorite, collards. Cabbage is a good veggie to serve and pretty cheap as well, raw or cooked.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
a reply to: Cuervo

Okay so tell me how much these items cost where you live, because where I live they are quite expensive:

Fresh brocolli
Fresh cauliflower
Fresh spinach
Leeks
Brussel Sprouts
Red Cabbage

Those are some of the healthiest foods that can be eaten.

Pinto Beans(by themselves are fine but are fairly high in carbohydrates)
Rice(Giant bag sells for 15 bucks)
Spaghetti
Noodles
Bread
Potatoes
Corn
Oranges(really cheap where I am)
Apples(really cheap where I am)

Most of the vegetables you list above can be bought on sale in their respective seasons for around $0.99/lb where I am. Additionally, you don't have to cook them down if you don't want to with the exception of the leeks and sprouts, although the sprouts taste best with less cooking and still provide plenty of bulk. Also, where we live, leeks and sprouts do generally cost more, too.

Also, sweet potatoes and greens are very cheap here year round. They may not be as healthy as the ones you list, but they're not exactly horrible for you, either.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh dear, a dollar a lb is on the low end and that's still expensive.

30 days a month.

Four or more servings.

I am beginning to think no one here has ever been poor and had extremely limited funds to buy food.

Either way there's no point doing a back and forth so instead, here's a study and article in regard to how much eating healthy increases cost per serving...of course anyone who has been truly poor knows this already:

Study:
bmjopen.bmj.com...

Article with overview:

theweek.com...

It's about 1.5 per serving or 45 dollars more per month per mouth. For a family of four that's an additional 180 in food costs in one month alone. Per year that's an additional 2160 toward food costs or roughly 14% of a minimum wage salary(that's if they are working full-time).

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: kruphix
But go ahead, have your two minutes of hate.

So sad .... partisan folks going straight for the 'hate card'.

Well we all know youd like to stuff her fake diploma somewhere where the sun dont shine.

I dont like her either but I think she does make valid points about parent stupidity and nutrition. It is commonsensical to eat proper food as you claim but not as many people as you may think actually use their commonsense.

Anyways this is all just preconditioning for A21 implementation imo.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Funny enough, the same year the Obama's first child was born was the same year Google went live, irony much?

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

A dollar a pound is cheaper than most processed foods. How much for a pound of breakfast cereal? How much for a pound of bread? How much for a pound of dry pasta? Granted, the pound of dry pasta is cheaper, but not that much cheaper and you have to add stuff to the pasta. How much for a pound of chicken? Beef?

When I was young, we would eat red beans, rice and sausage once a week...because it was a cheap meal that would go far. Potatoes or rice or pasta would accompany every meal. Hard to believe you cannot add some steamed broccoli, carrots, green beans etc to most meals and have some in season fruit available (bananas are very cheap and very healthy) for your kids. As I said above, I also grew a garden to supplement the veggies.

A dollar a pound is quite cheap.

What is the result of living off of the McDonald's dollar menu?

I think there is no question that a family depending on minimum wage is going to have difficulty eating well... but then that was also true back in the 60s.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

It's not about the lbs but how much food can be made and how many calories can be obtained from something.

A lb of broccoli isn't going to produce the same amount of calories as a lb of spaghetti.

So lets compare a dollar hamburger from Mcdonalds to a lb of broccoli(again not every family who is overweight is that way because of fast or junk food. Any carb heavy foods can make losing weight difficult).

So a Mcdouble is 1.20 and has 390 calories most of which are fat and carbohydrates(both dietary energy sources).

A lb of broccoli has 154 calories and while very nutritious in terms of vitamins, has little fat and in a lb only about 20g of carbohydrates.

Essentially it is a wonderful source of fiber but if you are poor and have a choice between buying the mcdonalds burger vs. broccoli you will get more bang for your buck with the burger.

Either way though there's no point in expressing this view any further. The study is above. Vegetables are more expensive in terms of how many calories and how many meals you get out of what you buy.

A bag of potatoes and spaghetti will always be stretched further and for less money than cauliflower and chicken breast.(just one example).

Also, sweet potatoes while high in vitamin A are also very high in carbs. Just to give an example, a lb of broccoli has 20 and a cup of sweet potato has 23. The vegetables I had presented earlier are ones that have very little sugar/carbohydrates plus are packed with nutrients. Someone trying to lose weight or control their blood sugar would do well to avoid things like bananas and sweet potatoes. There are also other sources(such as spinach) for potassium.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

If you are only interested in calories, then you should not be responsible for children.

Of course pasta or potatoes or rice have more calories than broccoli. You do not eat broccoli for calories, nor do you eat broccoli for fiber (well, you might, but I never).

Benefits of eating Broccoli

If you notice, the meals I illustrated involved a starch (pasta, potatoes, rice) and veggies... I think I left the meat out, but in our household that is a given for virtually any meal. No vegans here...no martians either (LOL).

In my early married years my wife and I were dirt poor. Once we began having kids (5 years after marriage) my income was growing, but far from well off. I made sure we fed the kids a balanced diet. Failure to do so will not only affect the health of the kids, but likely their ability to learn as well.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
MIchelle Obama: I Couldn't Feed My Kids Right - Even With A Harvard Degree

And can't even run a country right with one either.

LOL.

You gotta be kidding.

Harvard degress can't feed her kids!!!

Oh hell just rob from the rich that is the answer to EVERYTHIING.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

This is ignorance speaking. Michelle admitted that she, too, was ignorant. I can make some GREAT-tasting kale, carrots, squash and spinach

What the hell !

That's rabbit food.

And if god wanted us to eat that stuff he would made us rabbits!

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Better than feeding your kids your Harvard Degree! That has to taste like crap....

(twisted sense of humor + title of this thread = sick joke)

edit on 17-6-2014 by bbracken677 because: added the formula which adds up to 41

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
a reply to: neo96

Better than feeding your kids your Harvard Degree! That has to taste like crap....

The crap they try to pass off as 'healthy' is garbage.

The only thing people need to know for a 'healthy diet' is use moderation.

People can eat anything they want.

In moderation.

And get up off the couch or in front of their tvs, and the computers.

And get some exercise.

That is all it takes.
edit on 17-6-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Some of you have clearly never been poor. Ramen and those processed breaded chicken that are $2 for 10 patties are what you eat when you're poor. The days where you get to eat a nice spinach salad or some rice with steamed carrots are the days you splurge and look forward to.
edit on 17-6-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: kruphix

The only difference between most people and Michelle is that she took action when her doctor pointed it out.

As if everyone has to be told by their doctor,
and
As if she is the only one that was capable of taking action.

Who else is attempting to take any action?

America's kids are fat...and at least she is trying to do something about it.

Just about every nutritionist in the world.
Oh, and she isn't one.

Really?

And these nutritionist are being really effective huh???

Is that why we here so much about them???

No, we don't...but we do here about Michelle Obama. The fact is she is at least trying to do something to help. People who complain about her trying to help kids eat better and get in better shape are just people looking for something to complain about.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

This is ignorance speaking. Michelle admitted that she, too, was ignorant. I can make some GREAT-tasting kale, carrots, squash and spinach

What the hell !

That's rabbit food.

And if god wanted us to eat that stuff he would made us rabbits!

Word.

Er. . . . um. . . oops. . . .

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
post deux
edit on 17-6-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The most disturbing part of her statement ... that the government schools are smarter then the parents and that the school will make the 'hard choices' for the kids, because the parents are too stupid. My god ... that's awful.

What is awful is that it is the truth.

Are you denying we have an obesity problem in this country? Are you denying that there is an obesity problem in children?

I don't understand why you think it is bad for Michelle to admit that she previously wasn't doing a good job about something, has educated herself on the topic now, and is trying to share that knowledge with other people. Normal people call that learning and growing. But according to you, since she didn't automatically know it she is some how a bad person for trying to help others.

This is such a non issue for someone to complain about...honestly...just step back and think about what you are complaining about. You are complaining that the First Lady is trying to help children get in better shape...it's almost satire that people are upset about this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join