It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two US B-2 Stealth Bombers deployed to RAF Fairford, UK in rare overseas deployment (Video, Pics)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I said they are probably heading in Ukraine direction, you presumed the rest.

Here is the part from the press release on the article I posted, it states clearly it's role, I merely mentioned it is likely headed in the Ukraine direction. Precautionary training in the USEUCOM area is 'on the list'.

www.zerohedge.com...

Obviously, the official press release doesn’t mention the rarity of this “short-term deployment,” as it only mentions that the “multi-role heavy bombers will conduct training flights in the USEUCOM area of operations, providing opportunities for aircrews to sharpen skills in several key operational sets and become familiar with airbases and operations in the region.”

“The training and integration of strategic forces demonstrates to our nation’s leaders and our allies that we have the right mix of aircraft and expertise to respond to a variety of potential threats and situations,” said Adm. Cecil Haney, commander, U.S. Strategic Command in the release.

edit on 8-6-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

And the only reason for them to head to the Ukraine region and forward deploy is to send a message. BALTOPS 14 is taking place in Sweden. Not really in the Ukrainian region (especially with the exception of the AWACS, it appears that most aircraft aren't operating from Swedish bases). Neither is the UK. The B-2 isn't like bombers in the past. There is no reason to forward deploy them anymore like they did even with the B-52 in the 60s. That's the entire point of the Global Strike program in the Air Force.

So either they're on the way to bomb the Ukraine, which wouldn't have them stopping in the UK on a routine deployment, or they're sending a message, if they're heading to the Ukrainian region.
edit on 6/8/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/8/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That is only your opinion.

You aren't an authority on aircraft or USAF or any other air force so you cannot say.

For example it could be a joint training exercise, it could be many things, the fact is you do not know.

It has been speculated as unusual, because it is, still you do not know more than anyone else it's exact deployment in this exercise.

I find your know it all attitude regarding such things rather offensive, I have seen you state things often and you were wrong, just like earlier when you again jumped at every post regarding planes that I make, claiming the F35 wouldn't hover at RIAT, when I know for a fact and it has been publicly said by the program leader that it will, just an example of you claiming to know something you don't.

Kindly back off and stop attacking every post I make about aircraft, especially when it based on your presumptions rather than fact.
edit on 8-6-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

And as I said in that post about the F-35 the last I heard was it wouldn't. I don't have 24/7 internet access, so I haven't been able to keep up on what's been said about what will and won't happen at the shows. I haven't attacked you, or anyone else for that matter, and I am the first to admit when I am wrong about something.

Yes, it could be heading to a joint exercise, but there aren't any planned that have been announced recently in the Ukrainian region. The only scheduled exercise was cancelled.

You said they could be heading for the Ukrainian region, and yes, they could be. But there are no announced exercises planned for the area, and that's something that would be announced, especially right now. Yes I could be wrong, and I'll be happy to admit it if I am. But I don't think that I am.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Its not an exercise deployment. The call signs of the stealths give that away.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

i knew i had that pic for a reason,,

if u dont know,,

dont ask

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Way back in 2002, when a B-2 went into Fairford for RIAT, they used Death 71 as the callsign.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: boomer135
Its not an exercise deployment. The call signs of the stealths give that away.

I think it's a perfect callsign exercise or not, they are death, pure unadulterated death.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Death usually isn't their exercise deployment callsign. Its usually a reach callsign or something to that effect. Its the same callsign most of the planes deploying overseas get by their commands. I've never deployed or refueled a deployed force that didn't have a reach callsign going across the pond including many B-2s.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I wasn't speaking to whether it's common or not ... only that it's apropos.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Time-to-target

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The official blurb from Whitman again. I wouldn't be surprised if this unusual exercise is training for being familiar with bases either in or around Ukraine, for strategic purposes. Ukraine is part of USEUCOM and the Ukrainian Embassy released a press statement about US financial and other support on the 7th, the day before the B2'S landed. A show of strength / support perhaps. Messages to Russia?

www.whiteman.af.mil...

6/8/2014 - RAF FAIRFORD, England -- Two B-2 Spirit flew to the U.S. European Command (USEUCOM) area of operations June 8 to train and integrate with U.S. and allied military forces in the region.

During this short-term deployment, the multi-role heavy bombers will conduct training flights in the USEUCOM area of operations, providing opportunities for aircrews to sharpen skills in several key operational sets and become familiar with airbases and operations in the region.

"This deployment of strategic bombers provides an invaluable opportunity to strengthen and improve interoperability with our allies and partners," said Adm. Cecil Haney, commander, U.S. Strategic Command. "The training and integration of strategic forces demonstrates to our nation's leaders and our allies that we have the right mix of aircraft and expertise to respond to a variety of potential threats and situations."

USSTRATCOM routinely conducts training missions in support of geographic combatant commands to ensure the U.S. has a credible and flexible capability to provide the President a variety of options he may need to protect the nation or its allies and partners.

The forward-deployed B-2s are assigned to 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri. The B-2 Spirit is a multi-role bomber capable of delivering both conventional and nuclear munitions. Its low-observable, or "stealth," characteristics give it the unique ability to penetrate an enemy's most sophisticated defenses and threaten its most valued, and heavily defended, targets. Its capability to penetrate air defenses and threaten effective retaliation provides a strong, effective deterrent and combat force well into the 21st century.

www.eucom.mil...

The U.S.-Ukraine Charter on Strategic Partnership highlights the importance of the bilateral relationship and outlines enhanced cooperation in the areas of defense, security, economics and trade, energy security, democracy, and cultural exchanges. The Charter also emphasizes the continued commitment of the United States to support enhanced engagement between NATO and Ukraine.

ukraine.usembassy.gov...

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Vice President
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 7, 2014

edit on 9-6-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I've seen some up pretty close...

Other than sitting in the pilots seat that is probably the closest most of us will ever get to a B-2 in flight.

Thanks for the pics.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Nothing of any significance but apparently one of the b2s suffered a bird strike on landing into fairford. What would happen if the blades were damaged, does the b2 and ground crew bring spares of any kind ?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

apparently the blades are self healing,, some kind of nano stuff,,,u know like the tires.

hope i helped.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

It depends. Usually they carry a basic spares kit with them, the usual parts they have problems with, sometimes it includes an engine or two. If they can't get the part from the base they have to arrange to have it flown in from home.

I've seen some cases where there were special flights arranged to fly parts in, and other cases where the unit left a bomber sitting locked up for a couple weeks until they flew a maintenance crew and parts back in.

That's a pretty rare thing though. That usually happened around Christmas or a major holiday like that.

It'll probably take a couple days to get them an engine if that's where they took the bird.
edit on 6/12/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Cheers guys thanks. Aww it would be magical if it stayed for riat.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

There are two major exercises, plus another reason for them to be there. It's possible that they may.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Iraq wouldn't have anything to do with it by any chance ?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Not sure they would need B2's to put down a Sunni militant uprising. Maybe some drones, but heavy hitters like B52's and B2's not so sure.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join