It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Revolutionary New Piece of Gun Technology That Some Are Calling ‘Scary’ and Others Are Prais

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Pretty cool tech here. And yes I do see the downsides of it. WiFi can be jammed. And it says the app can be used with a smartphone as well. I see more standoffs in the future.

www.theblaze.com... eet/

The app is called ShotView, and it will apparently give users the ability to shoot accurately around corners, from unsupported positions, behind the back and over barricades when paired with the right firearm. The potential for this technology to be utilized in the military is glaringly obvious.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Cool stuff. I imagined such a device would soon hit the market. I had thought a version of it had already been integrated with some of the high tech army warrior programs. As far as wi-fi jamming I think a wired version or capabilities would handle that dilemma. Extra USB no prob.

At some point I can see full body armor with such tech kind of like the HALO game outfits. I am sure they can make the hardware smaller. Maybe someday it will be standard issue.

link   
I want one!!!
Never miss a Deer again!
Call it humane hunting... that will make PETA happy..or not.

link   

I can't wait till this thing takes off…I'm going to be awaiting a much lighter version in about 5 years. That thing as is, while extremely awesome, looks like it's a freakin brick. I could only imagine that on my POF-308…it'd be like 18+ lbs. How can you take accurate shots dangling that thing unsupported around a corner.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This is a technological terror!!

This being ATS ... here's the question of the day:

Why ... is the government so damned interested in knowing what your face looks like??

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
If it's wireless, it's hack-able. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to just delay the frames or shift the focal point. Oooohh or you can feed a completely different video. Take out the guy holding the cam and feed a vid that shows a supported position has been compromised as a trap.

It's a neat idea, but they should just limit the range to a very short distance and give the ability to use a wire. After all the "bad guys" could just use a directed microwave(literally) to jam the signal.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have used a device like that more than 8 years ago already. The bateries were huge and did not last very long. It was wired. Awkward fun when the gun is slung over your shoulder pointing backwards and you walk forward. It also had ir night vision. Yes it was in a armed force no not american

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Why ... is the government so damned interested in knowing what your face looks like??

Because they are looking for someone specific...

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage

Because they are looking for someone specific...

I'm sure they could use the data to filter out friendlies too.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Wow, I really need to start inventing things. I had this idea long ago, just like another idea I had years ago that's probably gonna make a certain person a billionaire.
I could be rich if only I wasn't so lazy.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I'm sure they could use the data to filter out friendlies too.

Faces aren't important ... that's where the error is.

It's who you shoot ... sooner or later, you'll be registering shots and hits. And in such a way, be able to filter out who is shooting where and who is getting shot.

To a computer, it's a game ... red and blues. Question is, is each blue shooting more reds, than blues or vice versa.

So, tag you ... with a radio active isotope .. that will uniquely identify you. And then, how you perform is what will mark you as friend or foe ...

on the battlefield.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
What about lag in the video as it runs through the phone? Get a txt or searching for service, always makes an app glitch up a bit.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DogMeat

This doesn't make your aim any better, it just gives you the opportunity to see your target without looking down the sights.
You want that scope that aims your rifle for you
arstechnica.com...

And no PETA supporter here, but it isn't much of a "hunt" if you can't miss...
Where is the fun in that?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Lol, it reminds me of the South Park episode where Randy invents the warp-speed pinewood derby car, and aliens visit, and takes control, and the person across the country goes, "Screw this, I'm getting up," and the alien fires upwards, and the gun shoots him. Yup, what is science fiction will become reality one day.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SixX18
What about lag in the video as it runs through the phone? Get a txt or searching for service, always makes an app glitch up a bit.

That made my warped mind chuckle. I can see Hunting Clubs springing up around all the Starbucks, Panera's and the like because there's no signal out in the woods.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Is it wise for a shooter to be pumping out a wifi signal on a battle ground, sounds like a good way to get hellfires or equlivent

edit on 5/6/2014 by Now_Then because: tryed to inset a lame Archer meme saying 'Do you want death by Hellfires.... Because thats how you get death from hellfires'

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I saw this in the article and wholeheartedly agree.

I asked about potential military applications, since they are obvious, but TrackingPoint was quick to downplay involvement with the Department of Defense. The "connected shooter" goal of the PGF system in many ways lines up with the Army's limping, on-again-off-again Land Warrior program. However, the very nature of the government contract and procurement process ensures that any technology developed for military use must go through an incredibly lengthy and convoluted development process, meeting shifting and sometimes outdated design goals along the way. TrackingPoint said that its goal is to produce the technology first, and then find the market and applications once it actually had something ready to go—and this is what it has done.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

How about the new "kill switches" for firearms? Apparently, it get aimed at a weapon and keeps it from firing. Reneders bad (and good) guys weapons inoperable. Its been developed already and was in the news last week. Stupid idea for a lot of reasons.......

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Hate to be a snob but that technology is so 1900's. It shoots bullets and you have to carry it. Show the the robot with the energy weapon hooked up directly to the shooters brain.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
This would be a lot of fun in the backyard or at the range. As for combat...not the best idea I'd imagine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join