It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New SWAT Gloves Shed Light On Potential Dangers During Raids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Not sure if this is the right forum but I came across this article on a local news station. This guy had an "a ha" moment that led to the invention of tactical gloves, with lights!

From the article:

In only seconds, they must determine: Does the suspect have a knife or is it a cell phone? It is a gun or is it a remote control?

That's why Reynoldsburg SWAT spent an entire day testing out new tactical light gloves created by Tim Matheny of T&M Tactical.

Matheny created the gloves after working SWAT for more than a decade in Muskingum County. He says the aha moment came during a drug raid.

“One of the guys had dropped his flashlight while we were entering the residence. In doing that, he goes into the residence without a light source,” Tim Matheny says. “Having a light source that is not attached to a weapon will minimize risk while still providing safety for SWAT, in addition to the public.”

SWAT Gloves

Why didn't I think of that??

These are pretty interesting and I can see them having uses in all sorts of places, not only for SWAT and LEO situations. Working on a car, camping, etc. There's all sorts of uses for these things.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I start saving for a pair of these today.

Thank you.

I have to say as well... Why didn't I think of that?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Been done 20 years ago:

And ravers have been sticking LED's into gloves for a long time now.

Make them black and 'tacti-cool' and you can double the price apparently.

Here's another pair: Memphis grip light gloves $12

edit on 4-6-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Sounds like a good idea! Except, we all know how LED lights can be a major let down when it comes to projected light...

Are these really all that bright?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
These will replace stun grenades then?

It would seem the last thing one would want is to show their location in a dark hallway by lighting up their presence

Here I am, here I am.

They dress in dark clothing and come at night, then put beacons on.

I would prefer stealth and night vision than flash-bang, smash and grab.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Mapkar

I have no idea about how much light they project. Here is a link to the guy's site, maybe he has more info??

T & M Tactical

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

It would seem the last thing one would want is to show their location in a dark hallway by lighting up their presence

Here I am, here I am.

Good point. I wonder if they flash, like those LED's on a band you can wear on your head, lol...

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

originally posted by: intrptr

Here I am, here I am.

Good point. I wonder if they flash, like those LED's on a band you can wear on your head, lol...

ya its got a flash feature as well as a pressure sensor in the palm of the hand to use on say your fore grip maybe?

in the case of a breach and clear stealth is the last thing on the list of "needs" for your gear. mind you if your trying to get in and get something done without waking the dog then these obviously aren't the right gloves but in most "Crash" scenarios these would probably work nicely.

i think the only major modification this guys made to old style lighted gloves is that he's mounted them into a pair of reinforced tactical gloves with knuckle protection. i saw a pair of mechanix lighted gloves for working on cars a couple years ago now.... hell maybe even 5 years ago, but like the OP suggested in a post those LED's were only good for seeing something within a foot or 2 of your hands. very poor lighting for a tactical life or death situation. these I'm thinking he's got some sort of built in reflector or lens on the LED to help with distance.

all in all i can see alot of cops wanting a pair of these. hell i might even order me some in their "Hunting" camo.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Mapkar

do we all know that?
because most led flashlights ive owned blew halogen flashlights out of the water

or are you doing something ridiculous like comparing the half watt lights you can get for a buck against a 50 watt halogen?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
He's gona make a killing now.

Disposable after each use wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
So what's wrong with lights on weapons again?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Notice how they are all wearing MULTICAM, the cammo pattern being used by the US Army?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere
Been done 20 years ago:

And ravers have been sticking LED's into gloves for a long time now.

Make them black and 'tacti-cool' and you can double the price apparently.

Here's another pair: Memphis grip light gloves $12

off topic a bit,
i thought everybody had forgotten voyager, should have found one with seven of nine, instead of neelix.

on topic, whats wrong with one of those lights that you wear on your head like miners do. that way where ever you look the light is shinning.

or would that be taking a risk, that if someone shoots at the light the leo takes a head shot.

top topics

join