It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI's International Computer Security Emergency Alert - Possible Conspiracy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
With regards to the FBI releasing an international alert to PC users of a forthcoming doomsday virus, does anyone else share my instinct that all is not necessarily as it seems?

The FBI have claimed that they are going to postpone this viral attack for two weeks, to provide everyone with enough time to download specifically engineered and free-to-download security software.

So let me just see if I have this straight......

Shortly after being exposed by Snowden as breaching the rights and privacy of not only US citizens, but citizens around the world, American security agencies expect us to naively just do as we are told and download this software they provide onto all our computers? They've lied to us and been exposed. And now we are expected to believe that the big bad boogey-man is coming after us, so we should all give them access to our computers?

If the FBI can stop this attack for 2 weeks, why not just stop it permanently? Something doesn't feel right about this. Does anyone agree?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Link? I cant find anything about it searching "fbi virus alert"

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Here in the UK we have had warnings of a virus attack to take place in two weeks!!
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I agree that it does sound pretty fishy, but on the bright side.....it only affects window machines.

Linux all the way.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
i never use protection

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
sounds like a seasonal thing,,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

been there done that,,

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
If you're stupid enough to open attachments in emails then you deserve to get it.
Some tit was on the UK news today was saying he'd lost £100,000 within minutes??

It is a nice piece of malware/ransomware but only idiots need apply.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Can you say scam boys and girls ???

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Millions

Over at the Register website in England is an article that explains it.

The Register

Basically the Malware is already out there infecting machines. It makes your infected machine into a botnet which is controlled from a central source. Your computer would "phone home" contact this server to get instructions and send password and bank info found on your machine.

What the FBI and England Police did was find this server and block access to it from the internet. The two weeks or less is the time that a person has to clean their machine of the malware, before the creators create a new server in a different location and take back control of your infected machine.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
I agree that it does sound pretty fishy, but on the bright side.....it only affects window machines.

Linux all the way.

hush!!! they'll all want it.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MinangATS

The Register

Basically the Malware is already out there infecting machines. It makes your infected machine into a botnet which is controlled from a central source. Your computer would "phone home" contact this server to get instructions and send password and bank info found on your machine.

What the FBI and England Police did was find this server and block access to it from the internet. The two weeks or less is the time that a person has to clean their machine of the malware, before the creators create a new server in a different location and take back control of your infected machine.

So how will the infected computers know where the new server is?
I'm assuming the virus would have the IP of the old server, so unless its got back up IP's (which ought to be known to the fbi), it cant phone home, can it?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Sounds just like Another " The Cure is Worst Than The Disease " Offer by those who Cause the Initial problem then present a Perfect Solution to it to me ........

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

It wasnt the FBI...it was in the United Kingdom (UK) from the National Crime Agency. And it will be proven false.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

It wasnt the FBI...it was in the United Kingdom (UK) from the National Crime Agency. And it will be proven false.

Well, news sources here in the UK are saying that this press release from the UK's National Crime Agency is the result of an investigation by the FBI, and that the two are now working in conjunction.

It seems strange, then, that this story doesn't yet seem to have hit the USA. Especially if they're claiming that we only have 2 weeks to avoid this so-called doomsday virus.

Just for those outside the UK, this story is BIG here. It is the top news story on our main news shows, and on the front page of most newspapers - serious broadsheets and down-market tabloid rags.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: MinangATS

The Register

So how will the infected computers know where the new server is?
I'm assuming the virus would have the IP of the old server, so unless its got back up IP's (which ought to be known to the fbi), it cant phone home, can it?

It is called DNS, you basically connect to a website-like adress which then converts it to the IP. If the feds take down the servers, you can change the registry of that DNS to the new IP

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The FBI has no ability to postpone a virus attack for two weeks in order for people to download security updates. If they could postpone something like that for two weeks they could postpone it indefinitely. Whoever wrote what you're claiming is well... poorly informed.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
With this kind of evidence being shelved against the governments of the U.K./U.S., I would be strongly suspicious of anything they have to inform us of.

I find it strange that this attack has been mentioned not far away from this event.

I wouldn't be so hasty in downloading anything you're told to either, reminds me of the cheap, nasty viruses that spew pop-ups all over your screen

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
More than likely the feds/NCA have managed to work out where in the world the servers located and are pointing DNS requests for it to another server or just disappear into /dev/null and the warrant that they've got to do it probably only has a fortnight on it before they have to hand the domain back to its owner and then its back to business again for them as they'll use the c&c server to upload some new malware thats harder to take down perhaps using multiple pseudo random domain names and are thus giving people plenty of warning that they'd better check their machines now and get some decent protection

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
The FBI is not going to warn the public. They will warn the AV software companies so they can build a update.

Anything else is scamware. if you get something from the FBI 99.999% its dangerous.
www.fbi.gov...
edit on 4-6-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Do any of you have any suspicions about what these agencies could be up to? What are they trying to get us to put on our computers and why?

And why has there been so much more publicity about this here in the UK than elsewhere? Surely a threat like this doesn't respect international borders?!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join