It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jet flies within 100 feet of cockpit with U.S. surveillance aircraft in ‘reckless’ inter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I don't doubt this story at all

There is no propaganda to be gained, these types of incidents nearly always happen during times of strained tensions

Russia has always dome thing like this to make statements like we're not afraid and we dome care

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

They have no fire control system, or ways to carry them. And if it became known that they did, they are can't miss, very high value targets, with a large crew.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Should the US respond with a closer flight or would that simply be poking a bear that seems very much awake once again?

The Hibernation is definitely over...
But America have forces on all four corners of the Globe...
I guess Russia probably do as well but they will be a little rusty compared to the States who had combat to deal with for a good 15 years...
Add to that NATO who've also seen combat...
Russia would be playing a dangerous game striking first...
I route for the underdog usually...
But considering Russia will be close to the button and China have their back, China may also give the green light to Kim to start testing his Missiles in live fire missions...
Of course then the UK & US will open the briefcase, insert the 2 keys and flick the switches...
Cameron & Obama toast each other with a Glass of fine Scotch...
Meanwhile Putin & Jinping say cheers with a Vodka & Saki respectively...

Finally we zoom out from Earth being seen from a spaceship...
And all four corners of the Globe are covered in Mushroom Clouds with two Watchers just tutting & shaking their heads saying "we tried, but they're a stubborn bunch those Humans"...

End credits... Directed & Produced by Satan Himself!!!

Peace everybody!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

a little russion top gunning...boys and their toys

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Meh.. they did that all the time back in the cold war .. friend of mine has pic of a russian bomber he took and the gunner of the russian plane was waving and holding up a bottle of vodka ..

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Personally I find it amusing that the pilot rolled to show his air-to-air missiles. The humor is only apparent when you realize there was no danger of him actually firing at the US aircraft. However, this is a violation of the airspace, even though they were over international waters. Although it is more common with larger planes, getting close to another plane actually can disrupt the air itself, causing a plane to lose control at least momentarily, and as such it is potentially dangerous. This is why there are imaginary "blocks" of airspace for each aircraft, at least in a domestic setting, to reduce the risk of interference or turbulence caused by the wake of another aircraft.

This WAS an aggressive maneuver by flight standards, but the only real danger was from a collision in my opinion. Fighter pilots are more daring than most other types of pilots, and I am certain that this Russian pilot knew his aircraft well, and knew what he was doing. But it still was dangerous. The only reason I find it funny was because I can picture him banking or rolling to show his missiles. It is only funny because fighter pilots are on a leash. They are not going to just start firing missiles at a US plane. I think the pilot was not doing it out of anger or hatred, but probably had a bit of a sense of humor himself. Contrary to popular belief humor does exist in Russia. Now Germany is another story, lol. Just kidding of course.

Maybe I am totally off base here, but I was in the air force and I have known fighter pilots to be a very curious breed. They are similar to what I would imagine Navy Seals to be like, at least the pilots I have witnessed. I haven't been around a whole lot of them, as most of the time the pilots I was around flew non-fighter aircraft, but I've seen a few and heard them talking. This guy will go back to Russia and brag about what he did I'm sure. Russian pilots are probably a lot like US pilots. So if there truly were the possibility of the SU-27 firing on the US aircraft then obviously the humor would have gone out of the situation. But I find it funny precisely because there was not really any threat of a missile launch. Does that make me weird? Does anyone else see the humor I see? Edit to add: Another thing that caused me to see humor in the event is that the missiles of one of these planes should be relatively visible from various angles. So the pilot was just "making sure" the US plane got a good look.
edit on 6/3/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Rolling to show missiles is a standard signal when intercepting another aircraft.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

If I'm not mistaken, I think we have some of those F-22s parked over there in Japan. Maybe it's time we introduced Putin's air force to our little friend the Raptor and see how they like it when we show up on their six, literally out of nowhere.

la2

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The RAF and Royal Navy have turned away Russian jets and ships on an almost monthly basis for over 18 months now, we work with Norway tracking Russian bombers and jets that seem to be testing areas for weakness. Last month 2 bombers were turned away by RAF and Norwegian Jets, while a destroyer was seen off the UK south coast.

The reason why these issues are only reported months or weeks later is security, you don't want something like this being blown up in the press, so it's dealt with behind the scenes, remember Russia has one of the largest and most sophisticated submarine fleets in the world, don't be surprised if one is sat off Alaska or California.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: la2

Exactly.

In this case, the RC-135 is a sensitive asset, not quite as big as the U-2, but close. I'm surprised they even said that's what it was honestly. Usually you get "an RC-135 was deployed to the area" and that's the last word about it ever again.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mythos13
Sounds like Russian finally got Top Gun on VHS!

they were just Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations. You know, giving him the bird!

I hate it when that happens.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Hmm... Didn't know they were that hush-hush. If you remember, I had reported in the "planefinder.net" thread back in march about tail no. 14847, 48, and 49 showing up on ADS-B over the TX, OK & KS area. One "Rivet Joint" and 2 "Combat Sent" platforms.

Within a week of that post, the website had a nice little quiet redesign to where you can only see current flights, no more rewind and review. Makes me wonder...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Training flights are no big deal. It's the operational flights that are the big deal, as they operate in sensitive areas, doing sensitive missions.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Oh, yes, surely. After researching what little is available to civillian channels about their capabilities.. No wonder. The V/W Rivet Joint seems especially interesting. Fairly sure she was getting some new toys, as it was taking off from the city that works on the systems for it.

Interesting to know they're up there with U-2 flights in terms of OPSEC though, thanks for the knowledge.
edit on 632014 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

All versions have some impressive capabilities, but the Rivet Joint (each mission has a different name assigned) does some of the more interesting missions. Cobra Ball was always my favorite, and easiest to tell from the others.

In fact the RAF just started test flights of their first Airseeker, which is a slightly modified Rivet Joint, on an old KC-135 airframe that was rebuilt from the ground up.
edit on 6/3/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Nice pic. Of the three I found, the RJ was pinging callsign "SAME##" and the two U versions were callsign "COBRA##"

Any clues if SAME is an acronym, and if so are you even at liberty to diverge?

Ok, i guess that's enough off-topic discussion, back to the Russia fear-mongering sure to ensue. /sarc

Back to lurking I go!

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

It's one of the callsigns that they use. I've seen two or three flights that used SAME, and a couple that used CORVIS. I'm surprised to see the U models using COBRA though, the U is known as Combat Sent.

This is an older list, but gives you an idea of the vast list of callsigns that are used for various aircraft.

Combat Sent was the aircraft involved in this incident. It does the ELINT mission.
edit on 6/3/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Interestingly I got a 7700 (emergency) alert last night for COBRA2. It doesn't identify type, and it also shows foreign military, but interesting coincidence.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

All very true Zaphod. These games are as old as the cold war and Russian planes fly near and over US territory all of the time. We don't do dangerous maneuvers during our intercepts. There is a lot of photograph taking and waving usually.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx

What should we make of this?

How about, Stay the # away from the Russian Coast.

You would be spewing flaming tar if a Russian reconnaissance Jet was flying anywhere near the US. International waters, or not both aircraft have a right to be there. Both Aircraft are an implied threat, and yes a reconnaissance aircraft is a threat. That aircraft is a key step into a larger scale attack, the interceptor is a defensive aircraft, protecting it's airspace, and home land.

The US is pushing Russia, pretty damn hard as of late.

LOL. Russian planes and vessels fly very near the US all of the time. We've even tracked Russian subs in the Puget Sound.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join