It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Before and after views of D-day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I thought this was pretty cool so I thought I would share. You can drag the new and old image which makes things even more intresting.

www.cbc.ca...

It just goes to show how much destruction and fighting went on all across Europe. It must have been a monumental task to rebuild but these images show you that pain is only temporary.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Shepard64

People were smaller back then?

edit on 3-6-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

ahahah so it would seem

Ya the scales aren't exactly to even

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Hehe Anyway, I think there is a lesson to be learned here.

The D-Day was the solution of a war caused by one man named Hitler. Hitler said that people needed to revolt. He said he would do things "for the people". He was charismatic, and to the people's eyes, everything Hitler said made perfect sense. The truth is, he didn't care about the people. He only wanted the power for himself. He would sandwich propaganda between conspiracy theories, pseudoscientific "facts", and accusations.

Today, when I see figures accusing other governing bodies, saying that violence is a fact of Nature, and telling the people that they need to revolt, I can't help but think about Hitler, who, with these very same words, almost turned the Earth into a Reign of Terror and darkness.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Hey, is it me or the sea level rose relative the the 40s?

In the fourties: only sand

Today: water is visible, there is less sand between the sea and the house

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Ya I would say the sea level has risen. That many soldiers would not fit into the modern day picture.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Today, when I see figures accusing other governing bodies, saying that violence is a fact of Nature, and telling the people that they need to revolt, I can't help but think about Hitler, who, with these very same words, almost turned the Earth into a Reign of Terror and darkness. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...:quote()
Today, I see governing bodies squeezing people into a corner where 'fight or flight' instinct seems to be kicking in. Instead of one man creating such a mindset, all of government seems to be manipulating humanity covertly- with the same end goal in mind.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Well, one more point in favour of Global Warming.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
Today, I see governing bodies squeezing people into a corner where 'fight or flight' instinct seems to be kicking in.

What if their plan depends on you giving in to this instinct?

Why do so many people seem to think that bullying a bully will end bullying?

In all of history of mankind, violent Revolutions never worked once. They all ended up with a reign of terror of some kind, and a peasant becoming the next dictator.

Mankind should learn from its mistakes...

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
Hey, is it me or the sea level rose relative the the 40s?

In the fourties: only sand

Today: water is visible, there is less sand between the sea and the house

Its hard to add more than one word here so I will wafle a little.
But how about the tides being different?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

Was going to say the same

Got absolutely NOTHING to do with climate change bs!

THE TIDE HAS GONE OUT / IN.
Also, stormy weather washes sand / shingle all over the place. Where I live (south coast) we can have a sandy sea shore on one day, and a shingle sea shore the following day, all it takes is a little rough weather.!

Also people seem smaller / larger because the camera was further away in one of the pictures

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
how the hell did such an innocuous thread spawn such an outburst of scientific illiteracy ?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
how the hell did such an innocuous thread spawn such an outburst of scientific illiteracy ?

Biggest percentage of the world population live in cities, never see large bodies of water, know nothing about the moon dragging the tidal bulge around with it, how low and high air pressure can 'lift' and 'depress' large bodies of water, might not even know about ocean currents, it complicated, people have other things to worry about.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Very cool post, thanks. I love seeing these kind of "old and new" photos, especially when the changes are so dramatic.

Pity they couldn't have got all the angles dead on, but still very interesting. (And also a pity some people don't seem to understand the concept of different focal lengths!)

Some other good ones, but done by superimposing rather than side by side: www.mymodernmet.com...

edit on 3-6-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

The D-Day was the solution of a war caused by one man named Hitler.

Hitler wanted Eastern Europe. Great Britain made the NAZI-Communist conflict into a world war. Britain declared war on Germany. Germany offered Britain peace all through 1940. Germany offered Britain uncontested control of the seas of the world. Germany let the British Expeditionary Force leave at Dunkirk. "The Miracle of Dunkirk"

In return Britain targeted and bombed residential neighborhoods in Germany.

Bombing of Germany Timeline

Bombing of Germany Metapedia Article

Britain has as much blame for World War II as Hitler.

Without Britain, World War II would have been the NAZI-Soviet War.

He was charismatic, and to the people's eyes, everything Hitler said made perfect sense. The truth is, he didn't care about the people. He only wanted the power for himself. He would sandwich propaganda between conspiracy theories, pseudoscientific "facts", and accusations.

Same as all of the politics I have seen in my life.

About the sea level. The tides are probably the reason that the sea level is different in the various pictures.

Also, it is possible that people are bigger now. Better nutrition, especially in childhood.
The differences in the pictures are mostly due to lens refraction and camera angle and distance from the scene.

edit on 3-6-2014 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

In all of history of mankind, violent Revolutions never worked once. They all ended up with a reign of terror of some kind, and a peasant becoming the next dictator.

I agree.

A real revolution is a change in the way everyone thinks about society or the world.

Usually the change happens and the revolution is de facto.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate
Germany offered Britain peace all through 1940.

If Germany wanted peace they would have withdrawn from all the countries they invaded.... they did not want peace, they just wanted the UK not to fight them!

I love how some people like to revise history!
edit on 3-6-2014 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

Germany offered Britain peace all through 1940.

If Germany wanted peace they would have withdrawn from all the countries they invaded.... they did not want peace, they just wanted the UK not to fight them!

I love how some people like to revise history!

You seem to say that offering peace is not offering peace. Not fighting is the definition of peace. I make this distinction because it is easier to communicate if the facts and ideas are well defined.

I understand what you mean. Germany was wrong and should have atoned before asking for peace.

But the offer was a good deal. Germany wanted oil, mineral resources, and agricultural land; that is, Germany wanted Eastern Europe. Britain could have everything else, especially the seas.

And Britain would have had plenty of time to build up its armed forces.

Peace was offered.

Britain declined and lost the British Empire.

Makes one wonder who is in charge.

Revisionism is right or wrong depending on the facts. Revisionism simply means incorporating previously overlooked or unknown facts into the comprehensive history.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I've walked those beaches.
the tide goes out a long... long way at the right time of day.

nothing to do with sea levels rising.. not to that level anyway

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Germany wanted Eastern Europe.

So they invaded Western Europe.... well, I suppose that makes sense to a revisionist!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join