It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a literal war on women in the USA?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
A member posted this pic on this Thread and I was shocked to say the least. Is culture driving this violence towards women? Or not?

I didn't fact check this.

Edit: changed politics to culture
edit on 25-5-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
im not sure what your point is with this thread. What politics regarding violence to woman are you referring to?

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

An interesting play on data but how in the hell do you link politics to this?

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
In order for that chart to have any meaning whatsoever it would have to have another row showing the number of men killed by their wives and girlfriends. Why doesn't it? Oh.... that's why.
edit on 5/25/2014 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Wives Also Kill Husbands - Quite Often

The most shocking finding of this study--which analyzed nearly ten thousand cases--is that wives murder their husbands far more frequently than press reports would suggest. To put the issue in context, women in general account for only about 10 percent of defendants charged with all murders. But for all spousal murders, women accounted for more than 40 percent of defendants. And "among black marital partners, wives were just about as likely to kill their husbands as husbands were to kill their wives." Not surprisingly, when it comes to parents who kill their children, mothers kill more often than fathers.

The other shocker in this report is that husbands who kill their wives are not treated more leniently than men who kill strangers, despite the media myth to the contrary. Indeed, they were as likely to be charged with first-degree murder, were no more likely to have their cases dismissed or diverted, and were as likely to be convicted. Nor were their sentences significantly different, when relevant "case characteristics"--such as prior criminal record--were taken into account. Indeed, the only real difference is that spousal murderers "required less time to disposition than other types of murder cases."

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I didn't mean to use politics, I changed it to culture.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Maybe you should start with Muslim nations. Women are treated less than subhuman. This whole war on women here is a bunch of crapolla. Just another piece of propaganda from the left.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It is very, very, very easy to abuse and or murder women and kids in the US.

At one time, such behavior would have been ostracized by the community. Now, we only care about the next paycheck. Oh, we do care about who sleeps with whom and who is going to term with a pregnancy. But as soon as that baby is born, who cares if it ends in a trash can. My country has lost its heart and soul.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Women are subject to far more abuse and that may account for the retaliation.
Just look at how the average woman is portrayed in the media, sex toys.

I understand your point and agree with it, as a man, respecting women isnt something that we are taught as children or adults
Probably worth a little more investigation.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I would not say there was a "War on women" per se, but from what ive been hearing from american politics (And conservatives here on ATS) I would say the war on women's personal lives and choices is very much in effect.

My examples:
-Abortion debates
- What constitutes as rape debates.
- Employers not having to pay for women's access to the pill, even though it is used for more than birth control.

There just seems to be a growing number of people in society that wish to restrict women's personal liberties.

Flame on.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This would be a better image if it included men killed by their spouses. I don't see why they chose to compare it to military deaths.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch
Women are subject to far more abuse and that may account for the retaliation.
Just look at how the average woman is portrayed in the media, sex toys.

I understand your point and agree with it, as a man, respecting women isnt something that we are taught as children or adults
Probably worth a little more investigation.

I don't know how you were raised but I was always taught to respect women. That was a very incorrect generalization.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Funny, I didn't realize there was an ongoing war against me. My home is intact, no searches, no mass arrests, no rounding up of women, no detention camps, no executions.

Ohhhhh, you mean figuratively. It's not a literal war, can we ditch the buzzwords, please? All that does is make a mountain out of a molehill, and we're not close enough to true patriarchal societies (i.e no rights at all) to use it with any merit.

It's, for the most part, religious ideology keeping BC from being readily available, and equally so for abortion services. Work on keeping religion separate from law, and we'll have a more functional and equal society. As of late, with the melding of politics and religion, we're rolling backwards on that.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SearchLightsInc
I would not say there was a "War on women" per se, but from what ive been hearing from american politics (And conservatives here on ATS) I would say the war on women's personal lives and choices is very much in effect.

My examples:
-Abortion debates
- Employers not having to pay for women's access to the pill, even though it is used for more than birth control.

There just seems to be a growing number of people in society that wish to restrict women's personal liberties.

Flame on.

Interesting perspective.
How about a war on unborn children by their respective parents/s

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Is there a literal war on women in the USA?

Not in the USA. But in other countries ... yes. In some places on the planet, women can't even leave the homes they live by themselves or drive a car without threat of being put in jail or be beaten. In some places, women aren't allowed to learn to read or schooling is denied them ... or they go and they risk their very lives. So yes, in some places there is a misogynistic war on women ... but not in the USA.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

My examples:
-Abortion debates

Flame on.

It's not just women that have their personal lives, liberties, and choices under attack in this country.

Executive executions.
Warrantless wiretapping, searches, and seizures without due process.
Government sponsored torture.
Being forced to buy insurance at inflated prices with reduced coverage. I could go on.

Maybe instead of playing into the divide an conquer tactics, we should unite to tackle the problems we all face. I'll wager that it would then be easier to find the common ground to work out solutions to the problems that affect smaller numbers. For instance, I have no problems with no restrictions on abortions or birth control. I could get behind mandatory minimum sentences for rapists. These things don't affect my life, so I can be pretty flexible on them.

I realize that, being and election year, there is a lot of "us" vs. "them" going on. I guess we can't get away from that. C'est la vie. But maybe there is one thing we can try. If you support the "good guys," make them prove it. It's not enough that they support "your side" of a divisive issue. Ask them to commit to support the "right" side of issues that affect us all. Whether they are Democrat or Republican or whatever, ask them if they support sending out billions in foreign aid when we need that money here for the hungry and homeless. Ask them why we spend so much on domestic spying when the money could go to education. Ask them why vets are dying for lack of health care, while insurance companies are syphoning billions in profits out of the health care system.

Wherever you are on the political spectrum, there are a lot of issues we can agree on that the Congress and the President seem to do nothing about.

Sorry, I guess I should have started a rant thread or something.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I think the war on women has already been won/lost has it not?

Women for decades and decades, pffft hundreds of years to be honest in western societies women have been totaly shafted by a predominantly male society.

Even a cursory glance from 50's era advertising can show you this. A shame too because now its turned some women into crazy people.

Not in the USA

Lies.
edit on 25-5-2014 by Bellor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

That's an absurd comment, do not generalize. on the contrary most treat them with great respect, Wife, Mother or Sister.

Media only shows the small portion of the truth for the benefit of something,

Like the lie of WMD in IRAQ, they started a WAR

Killed innocent people, with no proof of WMD based on speculation, lack of proof, sums it to bad intentions.

Like 911 they blamed Muslims, Media lies lies and lies till you believe.

Not even the anchor knows what he is saying or why.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch

My examples:
-Abortion debates

Flame on.

Interesting perspective.
How about a war on unborn children by their respective parents/s

If that little argument won abortion debates then there wouldnt be debates about abortion.

Also, try and be a little bit more original in your statements if you're going to try and drag me into a pointless abortion debate. It happens, whether right or wrong, its always happened and it always will. There will always be members of the female sex that seek abortions for reasons known only unto themselves.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I am not for a second suggesting that only women's personal liberties are under threat; This thread asks the specific question "Is there a war on women" - My first reply is specific in answering that question.

I dont wish to cause a rift through the sexes but the facts on the table is that women's personal liberties are being targeted. As are the liberties of your average american.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join