It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed up with replicated posts? fed up with pasted posts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I have noticed a great deal of posts being no more than copied and pasted text from whatever source.
The questions and theories should come from the person posting surely?

We are bombarded with " what will you do if" "who will do this if ?"

The mods have already asked for this to be curbed and the rules adhered to.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have had some good debates here recently, but certain individuals keep persisting in posting utter drivel without any real theories or links to back these up.

By the time you have taken the time to read some of this stuff, you end wishing you hadn't. replying to these threads only generates points for the original poster, to which ,in my mind they don't deserve.

We have a few young people on here who in the most post good threads. These are not the people who i am getting at. Its the adults among us who for some reason cannot see or understand what they are posting or to what relevance they are directing the viewers to wards.

I will not post threads to back up what i have described. I don't need to ,because this would be targeting the offenders, but i would hope that they take heed of the moderators messages and maybe this one as well.

We have an excellent group here, but it is slowly being eaten away by the minority who persist in doing the above mentioned statements which does and can spoil a good few hours replying with good responses and answers.

I enjoy it here and want to see it thrive.

I haven't posted this to generate any points and i would hope that mods will delete any i do get from any replies that this thread might receive.

Please don't take any offence from the above, lets just get back on track with the topics in hand.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
I haven't posted this to generate any points and i would hope that mods will delete any i do get from any replies that this thread might receive.

This particular forum generates no points, nor can you delete any points on your own (however, purchasing a RATS membership is the ultimate points deletion
).

I agree completely, I am often amused that a member who cannot spell their "location" correctly, can crank out a 1,000 word post of flawless prose... amazing what a couple of mouse clicks can do. Then there are the "esteemed senior members" who simply put their posts in italics, and feign innocence when called on their posts (as if in 3,000+ posts the nuances of BB Code has eluded their ken, and thus their ability to properly format a quote). Bottom line, this is plagiarism, no two ways about it.

I would further indict the "well intentioned member" who simply throws out an inflammatory statement, or two (unsupported, and unsupportable), just to watch the rest of ATS actually put some honest work into refuting their drivel.

The answer is to persevere, and to take solace in the quality of your own work.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I agree with you, but also I am fed up with threads that all it does is taking information and the poster twisted to make it into a bashing thread for his moralistic and single group targeting agenda.

Now that is misleading and wrong, and the ones that encourage it are not better.

I am for any thread that will bring light and encourage research but threads that all it does is targeting one particular group because in your moralistic view you hate them are wrong.

And the problem is starting to be by the same members over and over so you know that they are on a mission.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

The answer is to persevere, and to take solace in the quality of your own work.

I guess thats all we can do eh..

I wasn't aware that this this topic thread did not generate any points. Thanks for telling me.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
actualy i am not fed up with replicated threads. i am not fed up because: it is an honest mistake and the search function if kind of difficult to use...

i am fed up with pasted posts WITHOUT A LINK OF THE ORIGINAL SOURCE but if it HAS A LINK OF THE ORIGINAL SOURCE LINK, i like to see the copy-and-paste part OF THE IMPORTANT PARTS OF THE ARTICLE...

thats my answer...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
A few minutes time scrolling up or down usually tells me that a topic has been covered before.

Its normaly 24 hours between me reading each days posts, so i do tend to look before i decide to post a new topic. But hey, thats just me.

I suppose you cant help replicating threads when they are produced within minutes of each other. After all, there are world wide posters on here and the time differences make a hell of difference.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

A few minutes time scrolling up or down usually tells me that a topic has been covered before.

Its normaly 24 hours between me reading each days posts, so i do tend to look before i decide to post a new topic. But hey, thats just me.

I suppose you cant help replicating threads when they are produced within minutes of each other. After all, there are world wide posters on here and the time differences make a hell of difference.

exactly

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

After all, there are world wide posters on here and the time differences make a hell of difference.

It�s 22:19 here now...

[edit on 2004/11/29 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
As long as there are Internet discussion boards, there will be repeat posts.

The larger and more popular the board, the more there will be a cycle of new members repeating old topics.

Nature of the beast.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I really don't have a problem with repeats as completely different discussions can happen in threads with the same topic. Or some topics have been discussed when I either wasn't a member or was too busy for extended periods to add to or even read the discussion. Overall unless the repeat is egregious, (almost every 9/11 topic for example) repeats don't bother me much. Besides, if you see a repeat that's getting ignored, all you have to do is not open it yourself. Sometimes it's interesting to see a new members opinion on an old topic - they often say something that hasn't been said.

Paste-jobs do irritate me though....even though we all do it to some extent. Sometimes it's easier to just throw something in a quote and state the source. However, the best way to get your thread/reply ignored is to make a friggin novel sized paste job. It's not that hard to sum something up.

new topics

top topics

join