It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question for those who smoke or used to smoke

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Or much more likely than a neurosurgeon in training - a paid or volunteer puritan anti-smoker hoping to start a discussion on a public website on why smokers should quit smoking!

This thread is about why people start smoking. Where did i said people should stop smoking?

A man smart enough to train to be a neurosurgeon but dumb enough not to have ever in his whole like thought that pre-teens could be influenced by adult behavior

I knew they were influenced by adult behavior, but to the extent of starting to smoke by the age of 13 is obsessive.

You can think what you want. Your opinions dont change anything.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: danielsil18

originally posted by: g146541

Why ask?
Just do it or don't.
Be your own guide and stop following.

Because i want to know what goes in people's heads when they start smoking.

Nicotine and smoke.

Why worry?
Like I said make your own path and do not worry about the others, they will find their own way as well.
Personally I'm more worried about a person who wants to be a doctor asking silly questions such as "why is the sky blue".

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I started feeling really stressed out during the last year with my dad when he had Alzheimer's. I picked up a pack of Marlboro lights, exactly what my grandpa used to smoke for years and the smell brought back memories of feeling safe and having fun as a care-free child with my family. It calmed my nerves in more ways than one, but then after smoking for almost a year I got a terrible cough that wouldn't go away this past winter and I kept trying to quit but I'd only be able to go for about a week at a time until I bought another pack.

I finally decided I'd had enough with the cough and I've been 3 weeks without a cigarette now, even around my friends and family that still smoke I've kept myself from giving into the temptation.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: danielsil18

This is EXACTLY what you said:

Never heard about this before. I'm guessing that we adults do have more influence on children than we think. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nothing there about being surprised by the "obsession of the thing"

NEVER HEARD ABOUT ADULTS INFLUENCING CHILDREN - never ever ever in your whole life has a thought like this crossed your little neurosurgeon brain! Never have you ever taken a psychology class where this subject was discussed. Your are entirely innocent of this evil loose in the world.

Face it - you been outed sweetie!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Didn't wake up on my left foot OP

It seems you did because you were just giving childish responses.

just really really fed up with control freaks and puritans who think they know what is best for me than I do

If you think eating and jogging is the same as smoking then you truly need someone to tell you that jumping from a tall building shouldnt be done for pleasure.

who infantilize me

This is ironic. Didnt I just say that you were giving childish responses?

It seems to me that you truly are treated like a child at home and I think it's for a good reason. I dont think you are capable of making good judgments.

You came of very childish to me and its ironic that you are tired that people treating you like a child.

who believe that I disagree with them then I must have mental illness

Actually it's the way you respond that would make me understand why people think you have a mental illness. Saying that i'm being payed by an anti-smoking group and that this thread is propaganda made me believe that you must not be that healthy mentally.

who believe they can punish me for not doing what I am told to do.

That's not me, im not like the god of the old testament.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

And as I predicted - here come the OPs fellow volunteers to tell why they quit smoking and how they did it and how much better they feel

(Developed a cough after only one year - are you kidding me? Only an anti-smoker is silly enough to post such a statement. Smokers already know that doesn't happen)

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

I know nicotine is addictive. I'm asking about the logic in the decision.

Some people truly got emotional with my question.

It's not that im worried about the life of other people. I only want to know what happened with the use of logic when people started smoking.

When you started smoking your body wasnt asking for nicotine.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I smoke because it makes me look cool.

I'm guessing you were in your teens when you started?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

sorry OP - paid anti-smokers always give themselves away. Tell whoever you work for that they need to develop new "scripts" for you guys. You just don't have the imagination and you don't know anything at all about smokers or smoking.

Tired of Control Freaks

link   
I am fat, old, and retired.
I have been smoking since age 7.
I do not have smokers cough.
Your problem is smoking Marlboros.
Please when you start smoking again, do not smoke those as they have more poison than tobacco!
Find a cigarette that proudly exclaims to have no additives or roll your own with tobacco you know is clean.
There are many falsehoods in the "sciences" and "studies" of tobacco consumption.
Tobacco is an old medicine used in many ways, one way is by inhaling the smoke!

link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

And as I predicted - here come the OPs fellow volunteers to tell why they quit smoking and how they did it and how much better they feel

(Developed a cough after only one year - are you kidding me? Only an anti-smoker is silly enough to post such a statement. Smokers already know that doesn't happen)

Tired of Control Freaks

I'm not anti-smoking. Hell, I'd love to light up again. I don't have anything against smoking. I just personally developed a cough that wouldn't go away at all and I knew I had to quit if I wanted to stop having to hack my lungs out every other day. I have a mild case of asthma that the tar in cigarettes was doing nothing but making it worse, so if you smoke without getting a cough, good for you. Keep doing what you're doing. It just so happens that not everybody is just like you.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: g146541
I am fat, old, and retired.
I have been smoking since age 7.
I do not have smokers cough.
Your problem is smoking Marlboros.
Please when you start smoking again, do not smoke those as they have more poison than tobacco!
Find a cigarette that proudly exclaims to have no additives or roll your own with tobacco you know is clean.
There are many falsehoods in the "sciences" and "studies" of tobacco consumption.
Tobacco is an old medicine used in many ways, one way is by inhaling the smoke!

The majority of the time I actually smoked pipe tobacco. I originally picked up Marlboro lights, and when my pipe broke because I dropped it I went to Marlboro Reds and that's when I started having the problem, so I guess you may have a point, however I'm not going to pick it back up again anyway.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
LOL!!!
You are confusing us with the Vulcans, they are the ones who embrace logic!
Me being a Romulan have embraced emotion, although from the same genetic code as a Vulcan, I have emotions.
So, why would I not ignore logic and embrace my emotions?
We do illogical things, we are all governed by them if we are not careful.
Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is bad.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

I understand that we seek pleasure. But smoking is not pleasurable at first. Food on the other hand is needed and we do it all the time, sex is pleasurable for men but not for women at first and many dont think of doing it again. But biologically we were born to reproduce, and hormones help them continue.

Smoking is truly different, its a mystery to me why do a few people compare it to food and sex. Smoking is not pleasurable at first, its actually a bad experience. That's when our logical thinking should come in, but it doesnt.

If smoking was pleasurable from the start then I would easily understand. But this is different.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I started smoking when I was seventeen. I was sitting around
a campfire with a bunch of friends. We were drinking and talking
and generally having a good time when suddenly my pants caught
fire.

I only smoked for about ten seconds, but that was enough for me.

I never smoked again...

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Aldakoopa

See now - this is a primary example of how anti-smokers get the script wrong!

Smoking aggrevates asthma and makes it worse - right? And that is right because you all have read the studies and that was the conclusion right?

Except that smokers - particularly smokers with asthma know that smoking a cigarette actually helps asthma (it may have to do with temperature)

www.booksie.com...

Smokers also know that it is not smoking that makes you cough - its quitting smoking~

Tired of Control Freaks

link   

originally posted by: danielsil18
a reply to: benrl

I understand that we seek pleasure. But smoking is not pleasurable at first. Food on the other hand is needed and we do it all the time, sex is pleasurable for men but not for women at first and many dont think of doing it again. But biologically we were born to reproduce, and hormones help them continue.

Smoking is truly different, its a mystery to me why do a few people compare it to food and sex. Smoking is not pleasurable at first, its actually a bad experience. That's when our logical thinking should come in, but it doesnt.

If smoking was pleasurable from the start then I would easily understand. But this is different.

It can be very pleasurable on the first try.

link   

Nothing there about being surprised by the "obsession of the thing"

Did you see the word "more"?

I knew we had an influence but not that obsessive. How old are you?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Oh - so now you have your answer but you categorically refuse to accept it

Interesting

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Was it pleasurable to you?

new topics

top topics