It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scout Oath, Law, Motto and Slogan and the Outdoor Code

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reflecting upon my own past

Boy Scout Oath or Promise

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

I'm just wondering who else on this site was once upon a time a boyscout, and one who still applies the scout law and oath in every day life.

I broke out my old scouting handbook recently and discovered how little I had forgotten...

I wish that all the boyscouts of America will reaffirm their oath, especially concerning being mentally awake and morally straight?

How are 'they' going to boogeymanize boyscouts?

We're not exactly Hitler's youth in this scenario?

To be young and impressionable once again.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Ah yes, the scout summer camps, the hikes, the survival camping, rock climbing... Good times. I think I even remember how to tie a one-handed bowline, you know, for when you fall off a cliff with just a rope and forgot to tie yourself off.

There have been many changes to the scout handbook over the decades. I was able to get a reprint of the first scout handbook, which includes how to make a log cabin. They took that out for a more "Leave the land better then you found it" creed. I understand the reasoning, but going through survival "merit badge" course, I would have liked to know how to build one.
I still have the mottos in mind, but my motto these days is: learn as much as you can about as many things as you can, both "old world' and "new", you never know when you will need to use it.
Because of the scouts, I hardly ever get lost, always keep my cool, and I look out for things that I can use (even when just walking down the road to the store, even though I don't pick up everything). It is a mental exercise to me, "if I was lost, what could I use this for..." that kind of thing.

So... yeah, I miss the Old Scouts. The "new" scouts, I am confused about.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

I was a scout for a long time. I was very active in our Order of the Arrow lodge, so the OA oath and admonition had a much bigger impact on me. I still think about my OA oath from time to time.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I was in the Scouts from Tiger Cubs all the way through the rank of Life and turned 18 before I got and Eagle project together( I let myself get distracted by stupid things). The most that I carry with me every day is to help other people. Even if it's as small as opening a door for someone I try to help any way I can. As far as morally straight, I got into quite a bit of trouble outside of scouts. But now that I am older I feel like I keep good morals consistently. The biggest thing I took from the Scouts was respect for the outdoors. I hike, fish, and hunt and always respect the ground I am on. I still pick out trash when I find it, and do my best to only leave my boot prints and take only pictures.(unless I am hunting)
Every time I see a young Scout I stop and praise them and encourage them to achieve the rank of Eagle.

Last month I was going through my old stuff and found my set of Cub Scout Books and Bible from Philmont. My wife almost threw away my hiking boots that were branded at Philmont. I about had a heart attack. All great memories.
edit on 5/14/1414 by 1MrMarc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
"Scoutng" doesn't teach morality. Morality is innate. "Scouting" preps kids for war. Survival, camping, uniforms, oaths and flags.

Another day and age it was called the Hitler Youth.

Okay, now pounce.
edit on 14-5-2014 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
"Scoutng" doesn't teach morality. Morality is innate. "Scouting" preps kids for war. Survival, camping, uniforms, oaths and flags.

Okay, now pounce.

Meh. Not worth it...

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Okay, now pounce.

I wonder what your thought is about the Girl Scouts?

Pathetic

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I was in scouts till I got kicked out at 18 years old. I was an assistant scout master for six months after that, but I had to give that up because of work and college. Just not enough time.

I mostly still follow the scout practices, especially being prepared. I think they should stress some of these things in school, most kids are not aware of anything in school.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I was never a good scout. Never got above Tenderfoot, though I did get my Polar Bear Badge. I mostly just came along for the camp outs and dirty magazines boys would smuggle in.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Okay, now pounce.

I wonder what your thought is about the Girl Scouts?

Just for you.
Some don't seem to learn the lessons of history, just repeat them.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Oh please, let's connect everything to hitler and the nazis.

The scouts taught a lot of us how to be better people and helping others in need not how to kill a certain group of people.

Your comments are nothing more then an attempt to derail this thread or better known as trolling.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I never reached Eagle but I was a Life Scout. My favorite thing about scouts was camping and hiking. Still have the small compass and temp gauge my scoutmaster gave me after a 30-mile hike; it's hooked on my new hiking pack I got earlier this year!

Least favorite thing to do in scouts......paperwork for merit badges.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Oh please, let's connect everything to hitler and the nazis.

All states indoctrinate their children to serve the state. No matter how benign and helpful it begins…

Blind obedience, flag waving, and heres an m16, go kill some foreigners far, far away. You don't see how that connects thats your problem.

By the way how many troops and missiles are building on the Eastern Front?

By that I mean is the EU and US (NATO) ready for the second Barbarossa yet?

Stay tuned.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I have no idea on what you are going on about but we are talking Boy Scouts go troll some other thread.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I have no idea on what you are going on about but we are talking Boy Scouts go troll some other thread.

If it bothers you, ignore it.

First rule of ATS is to keep your eye on the ball, not members. If you can't then you are the one trolling.

For me scouting was an adventure on the camping trips. I got to see things I never would have. Otherwise it was preconditioning of our young minds to more readily accept the military when we got a little older. I saw that then and I still see it today.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

If it bothers you, ignore it.

First rule of ATS is to keep your eye on the ball, not members. If you can't then you are the one trolling.

For me scouting was an adventure on the camping trips. I got to see things I never would have. Otherwise it was preconditioning of our young minds to more readily accept the military when we got a little older. I saw that then and I still see it today.

Actually,
I wanted former scouts to reaffirm their oath.
The world today is not the world we were 'preconditioned' to be prepared for? I didn't know scouting offered a sniper training merit badge...

I expect there to be one or two high ranking elected officials who would claim they were once a boyscout. I would ask them what drove them to stray from it.

What took me out of the scouting world? The insane world of free enterprise did.

Did the oath mean anything to me then? It has meaning in todays world, to me at least.

I would be the last to endorse joining and becoming a sold-ier. So am curious of your stance?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

The world today is not the world we were 'preconditioned' to be prepared for? I didn't know scouting offered a sniper training merit badge…

It doesn't. Among other things, it teaches obedience to the ranking officer, uniforms, formation, badges (medals) flags, etc.

I saw that as a prep for military "service". You don't serve in the military, you kill for it. You don't defend the nation with honor you murder for corporations, the highest dishonor. What honor? Honor as used in your and my parlance might be differently dispensed.

In my world honor is not fighting, not responding to nationalism or patriotism, to kill others for the state or whatever.

In young peoples minds (like in the Scouts) kids are conditioned that honor is good, loyalty is good and to obey… above all. Then when they grow up and become eligible for "service" the seeds are already there of honor, loyalty and obedience.

Those noble concepts are then utilized to push them in a different direction, one that wages aggressive war instead of resisting it honorably. One that deceives the true intent of honor.

The most honorable thing to do in a fight is walk away, right? Any damn fool can fight, the harder thing is not to.

Sorry I am not doing a better job of describing this.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

(Those noble concepts) are then utilized to push them in a different direction, one that wages aggressive war instead of resisting it honorably. One that deceives the true intent of honor.

Mathematically-reverse logic; opposite of initial direction of OP- although very welcomed.

There's an old Danish phrase: The nobler the blood the less the pride.

Why can't we take from our youth, noble concept- and force an application to todays elected former boyscouts? Separation from inner-child has brought us to this juncture, IMOHO.

I would prefer to be led by the hand of an innocent child, than some freak of nature that thinks I owe something to him...

edit on (5/17/1414 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Why can't we take from our youth, noble concept- and force an application to todays elected former boy scouts?

You mean hold them accountable? They would never allow it. All the legislative, judicial and enforcement mechanisms belong to them, not us.

Honor is not in their blood. They just use it to manipulate, beginning at the young age of … boys.

new topics

top topics

join