It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to convince people they should think, know and care about certain conspiracies.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I've found complacency to be the bigger issue. In discussing conspiracy 'X', I might hint that what was seen on MSM isn't even close to what happened and I usually get "oh, yeah, everybody knows so-and-so did it", and they don't seem to care.
There are conspiracy theories and conspiracy facts, and discerning the two is often time subjective just because people believe what they want to believe despite overwhelming evidence that debunks their belief. Sorting out the wheat from the chaff in the world of truth seems to be dominated by those who can pump the most information or disinformation into the machine. And even if people can sort out the truth, and it's contrary to what the media portrays, they don't seem to know the next logical step. They all want to take the blue pill.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

Imagination is fun, but it has no place in an intelligent discussion

Ughhh...behaviorism at its finest. How sad.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

You know what? There isnt anything we can say to convince people. There is no way in God's green acre that they could read all the info and watch all the documentaries and assimilate all the info we have over all the years it took us each to come to what we understand to be true.

You have to pick your battles with these folks. Youll wear yourself down . They just arent gonna get it no matter how hard you try. These folks dont think or analyze life too deeply. It would be great if we could get through to them....but it is a losing battle.

I would suggest? If you sense one or more friends have an interest or kinda get a grasp of the way things are different in the world than it seems...maybe give them soemthing to read, watch, digest for a later discussion.

Its frustrating I know. Some of my friends are hopeless too.....good luck.
MS

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
We all live and we then die.
In the mean time people need to be happy.
My in-laws take everything at face value and never look any deeper, but this makes them feel secure and happy. Since there is no colored pills around, I think we each should just do our own thing.

If we convinced my in laws to believe things are not always what they seem, will their lives be better for it? No, it would just make them uneasy, I actually envy them their blind eye, and who knows they may be right after all, having an open mind means I have to admit that.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
My in-laws take everything at face value and never look any deeper, but this makes them feel secure and happy. Since there is no colored pills around, I think we each should just do our own thing.

If we convinced my in laws to believe things are not always what they seem, will their lives be better for it? No, it would just make them uneasy, I actually envy them their blind eye, and who knows they may be right after all, having an open mind means I have to admit that.

Awesome thought!

Knowledge has a price!

Makes me think of the saying, "Ignorance is bliss."?

However, I would rather be aware than content and at the mercy of my masters.

My parents are in their late 70's and I get the same vibe from them. All we want to do is live clean and die in peace...

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I understand most of the points made by yourself and the others in the forum, however i feel that unfortunately too much credit is being given to the state of the human mind. Being in contact with all ages of people i find its the student type people that take this truth seeking advice better. However it seems once people get to a certain age they just dont care enough to take time out of their life other than text their facebook friends to make a change. The opinion i have formed speaking with people around me on all issues of truth and the manipulation of it is that people are too lazy to care. They are happy to have their routine of working 9 to 5, watching the same tv shows, discussing boring life on social media and looking forward to getting drunk to offer an escape from their life. If something such as 9/11 came out as a false flag then i believe an uprising will occur. Other than that people dont want conspiracy theories, truths that need challenging and information that doesnt come form conventional sources. It truly sicken me the techniques mankind has evolved in order to feel better about themselves eg turning tv over when the images of children alone and starving appear and walk past the vulnerable and look forward or conveniently answer their mobile. Its not fair to make us feel bad and interrupt our daily routine with these matters that have nothing to do with us....yet.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Also, maybe you need to ask if your friends just can't stomach the type of conspiracies that you're trying to feed them.

For instance, they might be laughing when you talk about reptilian aliens ruling the world secretly, but they might believe the government is using chem trails on the population. I mean these are just examples I plucked from the air, you could use anything you can think of.

Maybe the conspiracies you try to tell them about just aren't for them, but it doesn't mean they aren't awake to other conspiracies they consider to be believable.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hey OP I know exactly what you mean. I have the same exact problem. One thing that would help is to direct them to a site such as this which lists previous conspiracies as coming to fruition.
thetruthwins.com...

This should help stir their thinking caps and open up to new possibilities. Once the general overlay of what's wrong in this world (via the usual culprits) is understood, then everything will make much more sense to them. Linear thought will be decreased and critical thinking/questioning will increase as they try to sort everything that was established in their mind as "impossible" or "improbable" out.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Interesting ideas...

First thing that comes to mind is this:

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. ~ Genesis 2:17 /ex]

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
When I talk with people about conspiracies, I try to use the same approach my boyfriend did when we first met three years ago. He presented me with facts & even though I thought he was nuts, I wanted to do the research myself because the facts he presented were pretty compelling. I'm naturally a curious person so I decided to go to ATS (as he said it was one of his sources) & check things out for myself. I checked out ATS & then did online searches to see what some other sites where saying.

I realized that my boyfriend was not crazy after all, that what he was telling me about corporations, the financial collapse was true. Since then, I've questioned the reason the media chooses to show a story, usually trying to get people angry & afraid. Distract people from what's really going on. There are somethings that I'm still unsure of as for being truth when it is labeled as a conspiracy but there are others that just have too many fishy things about it. I know we won't know the truth about sooo many things.

I always encourage people to educate themselves, I say "Don't just take my word for it, research it fully"
edit on 12-5-2014 by knoledgeispower because: accidentally posted before I was finished

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Look... its very simple.

You are trying to prove conspiracy theories and they are trying to disprove!

All you gotta do is show them that given conspiracy theory has NOT been disproven yet! Not proven either!

Its all about the middle ground... agreeing to disagree!

You dont gotta prove anything, just show them they can't disprove it either!

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It kind of depends - Do you want them to wake up as a CT parrot?, or as someone with a critical eye?
Others have said it much better than I can...so, I'll just say that the proper way to wake anyone up - is to let them think they awoke of their own volition.
When they are parroting MSM or Government sources... question the premises. Question the sources. Don't spout "You're wrong!"... Show them how You question matters...by asking them questions on their stances. Eventually they will see the value in such an approach.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

Look... its very simple.

You are trying to prove conspiracy theories and they are trying to disprove!

All you gotta do is show them that given conspiracy theory has NOT been disproven yet! Not proven either!

Its all about the middle ground... agreeing to disagree!

You dont gotta prove anything, just show them they can't disprove it either!

So you hit them with a logical fallacy. If they do not already know about logical fallacies then you are setting them up to become skeptics for life once they do learn about them.

Look the only way to convince a natural skeptic is with evidence and logic anything else will have them looking at you funny.
edit on 12-5-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

What would you say to make these people understand that it does concern them when their government or persons in their government are involved with illegal activities and are protected from procecution by that same government? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I generally don't just bring it up out of the blue. If people want to talk about things like 9/11 or flouride in the water the only way I've found to have any kind of productive conversation is to ask them questions. There are so many things that were considered conspiracies only a few years ago that are now considered facts.

examples:

Did you know that 9/11 was the only instance a steel framed skyscraper collapsed inside its own footprint with no demolition explosives being used? or What do you think of all of the insider trading that went on in the few days before 9/11? Do you think its a coincidence that Larry Silverstein took out a very large insurance policy on the WTC specifically for terrorism just days prior to 9/11? What do you think of the CIA organizing coups against democratically elected governments in dozens of countries around the world in the last 60 years. Have you ever read the Iron mountain report? Did you know that the US had plans to blow up American military and civilian assets themselves and then blame it on the Cubans just before the failed Bay of Pigs fiasco?

Ask them questions about things that you know there is evidence for but do not make generalized statements such as "9/11 was an inside job" and then back it up with nothing. You would be surprised how many times I've heard people say that and then cannot cite one factual reason why they believe that it was an inside job.

Ask them questions, sure some people are still gonna give you the answer that makes them feel the best instead of what they truly believe, but deep down maybe they will start to get curious and start to seek information for themselves. Then again maybe not, I think cognitive dissonance is a whole lot like stockholm syndrome as well.

As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink it.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
My parents had always been very patriotic people and generally gave government the benefit of the doubt thinking anything wrong was just stupidity but never malice. I actually felt bad for telling them how the Presidential elections had basically been stolen but went ahead and gave them a book called Armed Madhouse by Greg Palast. I truly hated to upset their beliefs but I felt they needed to know the truth and they looked at government and elections very differently after reading it. That was probably 10 years ago now.

I cringe to think of how much damage has been done to the Republic and American society since then.
It can't all be the result of poor planning.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

You are absolutely right, most people who are settled and satisfied with how their lives are have no interest in stuff that can make them more aware of the dirt which is happening each day.

But then again it can be to someones benefit if the 'alternative' news is being watched and the MSM is scrutinized. An other good example is how many germans left Germany in time because of such an awarenes. What is Hitler upto, where is it going to and how can I prepare for a worst case senario.

Giving thought to some conspiracies can be useful and life saving..

edit on 12/5/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
You cant change anyone's mind unless you cut off their head. The best thing to do is be prepared, tell them the story (as docile and diplomatic as you can), if you press...they get defensive. Subtly plant the seed and it will either grow....or its not worth your time. Most people are easily manipulated and hypnotized by stature. As they have been hypnotized by the government subsidized media since their childhoods...only the elite in self preservation and freedom will even remotely heed the warning. Plant the seed...if it grows ...it grows, if not....they are a lost cause and are just another sheep. It really is as simple as that....it is only until those find their own truth...that they will then wake up and recall everything you said.....and you will henceforth be unforgettable.

Matthew 7:6
King James Version (KJV)
6) Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Matthew 7:6
English Standard Version (ESV)
6 “Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

...and trust me...they will!

Just toss down the bread trail, without confrontation, until they are full of it and can't take anymore.
edit on 12-5-2014 by Illuminawty because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2014 by Illuminawty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
My parents had always been very patriotic people and generally gave government the benefit of the doubt thinking anything wrong was just stupidity but never malice. I actually felt bad for telling them how the Presidential elections had basically been stolen but went ahead and gave them a book called Armed Madhouse by Greg Palast. I truly hated to upset their beliefs but I felt they needed to know the truth and they looked at government and elections very differently after reading it. That was probably 10 years ago now.

I cringe to think of how much damage has been done to the Republic and American society since then.
It can't all be the result of poor planning.

My mom is just like yours for that matter. When I bring her irregularities about some black world leader which doesn't add up she always refer to the 'fact' that it is because he is black and therefore part of a smear campain. I hope one day she will open hear eyes and start to look around her. Chances are things go deeper than it looks and are we not fully aware of its consequences.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

You know what? There isnt anything we can say to convince people. There is no way in God's green acre that they could read all the info and watch all the documentaries and assimilate all the info we have over all the years it took us each to come to what we understand to be true.

Come on now you know better than that. There is nothing here that is in depth whatsoever. Less that 10% of the documentation relating to 9/11 is available on the internet. Less that 5% of the JFK assassination documentation. It's just the same thing over and over and over again.

You have to pick your battles with these folks

This I totally agree with. You want to steer clear of persons who have taken the time to really investigate these matters and who know what a crock any kind of internet research is.

You must seek target audiences. For instance, writers of 9/11 conspiracy books know they must present their work to a demographic that is already convinced everything is a conspiracy along with insipid low self esteem, injustice collection, hatred of America, the American people and most of all the American government.

Listen to this bit of nonsense/admittance from David Griffin " This book is a much needed antidote for collective denial that has paralyzed the conscience and consciousness among the small vigilance community of the hyper seekers of Liberty"

"hyper seekers of Liberty" by his own admission a very tight grouping of individuals who already believe in anything he says.

More from Barry Zwicker from Towers of Deception:

"The shortest and most exciting route is to seek those who are convinced of centuries of deceit by greedy oligarchies bent on war for privilege, power and profit.

The most astounding thing is that I don't think (at least not of this moment) that anyone at ATS has ever read this stuff because it's so outrageous! Not only outrageous but poison as no one wants to be connected to these works because there are people who have studied them (myself) and know how ridiculous they are.

In short, in answer to the OP, a carefully picked selective, targeted audience is the only way can convince anyone.
edit on 13-5-2014 by spooky24 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The odd thing is the the majority of people on the planet happily believe in a religion. When you look at it logically there is not really any evidence to support the stories they have been told other than mythical tales passed down through the ages. Tales distorted by human beings either purposely or accidentally. Social conditioning and conformity plays a great part with most people as well as an ignorance is bliss factor.

So why do they think conspiracy theories are made up by crackpots?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join