It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

want to fight climate change? go vegan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
ajcn.nutrition.org...

Hey meat eaters, I know you're asking yourselves how you can do more to combat climate change. Well one thing you can do is give up meat.

You can do it. This will help.

www.rd.com...

realitysandwich.com...

[Ex]
What would happen if everyone stopped eating meat? Researchers predict that universal veganism would do a lot in the way of mitigating climate change, would lead to expanse of new land, and reduce the risk of anti-biotic resistant infections.

via Slate:

At least one research team has run the numbers on what global veganism would mean for the planet. In 2009 researchers from the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency published their projections of the greenhouse gas consequences if humanity came to eat less meat, no meat, or no animal products at all. The researchers predicted that universal veganism would reduce agriculture-related carbon emissions by 17 percent, methane emissions by 24 percent, and nitrous oxide emissions by 21 percent by 2050. Universal vegetarianism would result in similarly impressive reductions in greenhouse gas emissions. What’s more, the Dutch researchers found that worldwide vegetarianism or veganism would achieve these gains at a much lower cost than a purely energy-focused intervention involving carbon taxes and renewable energy technology. The upshot: Universal eschewal of meat wouldn’t single-handedly stave off global warming, but it would go a long way toward mitigating climate change.

The Dutch researchers didn’t take into account what else might happen if everyone gave up meat. “In this scenario study we have ignored possible socio-economic implications such as the effect of health changes on GDP and population numbers,” wrote Elke Stehfest and her colleagues. “We have not analyzed the agro-economic consequences of the dietary changes and its implications; such consequences might not only involve transition costs, but also impacts on land prices. The costs that are associated with this transition might obviously offset some of the gains discussed here.[Ex]

edit on 904FridayuAmerica/ChicagoMayuFridayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

Nope I will take Bacon and a better tan any day of the week.
Vegan food is dull.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Get rid of GMO's and I might consider it!

Otherwise, until that happens and due to the fact Jack Kavorkian is dead, I am just going to over indulge myself on bacon and cigarettes until I leave this hypocritical planet!

I crack up at the amount of Vegans whom eat GMO soy products and preach their religion to us sinful meat eaters!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I'm a meat eater but recently started making conscious decision to eat less meat, mainly to do with welfare issues though.

Surely vegan is a tad to far, can't we eat fish?

We'll all be eating mealworm patties real soon

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Just buy organic food dude.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I crack up at the amount of Vegans whom eat GMO soy products and preach their religion to us sinful meat eaters!

I won't eat any soya products due to the amount of Amazon Rain Forest destroyed to grow the crop.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
If we all went vegan, we would have to till every sq. foot of fertile land and we would deplete it all within thirty years. We would have to get rid of all forests for this land. We would have to kill all the animals that ate our crops. Fifty years and we would all be starving.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule

Just buy organic food dude.

Sorry, but I live in an area where the growing season lasts only 3 month give or take. Organic food isn't cheap and then with the FDA and Agriculture Department and their shady practices how do we really know what we are eating that is labeled "organic" is organic?

Plus, there has yet to be definitive proof that our climate change is related directly to the food we eat!

I'm not knocking your eating habits BTW. Just sayin, telling people that they need to quit eating meat is, IMO just as bad as religions telling people what they need to do to make it into heaven......
edit on 9-5-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
even better.... i believe climate change is a lie al gore is making money on. i'll just eat venison once in a while so more cows can graze

link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I doubt it.

www.slate.com... tml

link   

I'm one of those veggie guys but I wouldn't mind if we simply stopped farming animals. Hunters don't bother me nor to fisherfolk. Meateaters are fine, especially the ones who understand where their meat comes from and take steps to source it properly.

But, limiting the meat factory hellholes we have now would definitely help the environment, not to mention our souls.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Not vegan, but I only eat organic food.
However!
Why do so many give vegans such a hard time?
All the vegans I know do NOT preach to others! They are quite simply people who have decided they dont like to eat food if it meant an animal had to die for it.

As for it helping climate change, well, thats as BS as the whole climate change BS!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Meat has chemistry that calms people. Start taking away the meat from the meat eaters and they will kill all the vegans and maybe eat them. You should never eat animals that eat meat you know.

Some people cannot be vegans for genetic reasons, what do you suggest, kill them all? Most of these people have guns and bullets. How many people with guns in this country?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

You'll know it's organic because your body will take time to adjust. Your digestive system will be like wtf is this.

Just order organic foods on Amazon and make smoothies, and learn to fast.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It is extremely irresponsible and dangerous to suggest that all people go vegan.

I have known multiple people who have gone vegan and found some VERY harsh health problems waiting for them. Vegans never want to acknowledge it, but going vegan can be VERY dangerous.

The FACT is that not all people were meant to be vegan. I have a friend who went into anaphalactic (sp?) shock within 2 weeks of going vegan.

Please, people, dont think you can be so stupid as to make a major diet change like that without speaking to a doctor.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

You'll know it's organic because your body will take time to adjust. Your digestive system will be like wtf is this.

Just order organic foods on Amazon and make smoothies, and learn to fast.

I try! I really do!

But one of my good friends just passed a week ago.

He sounded just like you!

I am 51 and he was 50. I eat meat and I smoke at least two packs of cigarettes a day and at least a six pack of beer! I refuse to take any medications that have a list of side effects longer that two sentences.

Why is he dead and I am still alive?

Life is short! Enjoy it!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

It's more irresponsible to maintain the status quo, to use fear or laziness to encourage people to maintain their selfish unsustainable lifestyles.

Sure, consult a doctor. Read up on it. Do it responsibly.

BUT DO IT, wusses.

edit on 922FridayuAmerica/ChicagoMayuFridayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Meat has chemistry that calms people. Start taking away the meat from the meat eaters and they will kill all the vegans and maybe eat them.

Huh!!
If thats so then wouldn't the vegans already be ready to kill the meat eaters who were still calm?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

a reply to: captaintyinknots

It's more irresponsible to maintain the status quo, to use fear or laziness to encourage people to maintain their selfish unsustainable lifestyles.

Sure, consult a doctor. Read up on it. Do it responsibly.

BUT DO IT.

Again, you are being truly irresponsible by suggesting this to people. Not everyone should, or can, go vegan. I cant for health reasons, and wouldnt even if I could, as my blood type requires more protein than others.

Why is it that you chose not to comment on the health problems that can come with veganism? Why is it that you dont mention at any point in this thread the amount of energy it would take to produce enough vegitation to get the world off of meat?

Veganism is NOT the answer to climate change. To suggest it is is silly.

(Not to mention, I like to be, ya know, HEALTHY, which requires a balanced diet).

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I fight climate change by not watching MSNBC or voting democrat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join