It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call Centers are absolutely relentless when life is 'hard'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Sup ATS'ers,
Currently I got my first job at a call center for a big telecomunication company here in portugal, we're calling our current clients and trying to have them upgrade their service to the most recent one.
I wouldn't say it's hard, formation covered the aspects of telemarketing and how to handle costumers pretty thoroughly but it really isn't about the difficulty of the job, but the implications the job has and how it's wrecking my soul and body apart.
We are strictly monitored, the software monitors when you log in, your average call time, pause time, call numbers etc.. we need to keep them short and need at least 15 sales a month, I'm working 4 hours a day from 6pm to 10pm with only one 15 minute pause, now, I'm aware this really isn't that hard, and my co-workers and supervisors are all easy going and helpful, but only 1 week after starting, I'm already worn out, don't feel like going to work, I'm calling in sick and feeling just really empty and depressed overall, haven't had any appetite and I'm only noticing this now, during formation it was all going silky smooth, I haven't felt this down since my exgf dumped me.
What I'm trying to do is see things from a logical and rational point of view, trying to shove my feelings aside, I keep telling myself I need to keep working, I need the money (which isn't anything special but eh), I need to know what having a job feels like, gotta become more professional, I'm trying to become more adult by having this responsibility, but even seeing things through this point of view doesn't keep me from feeling this way.
Skipping work made feel even worse, I noticed how weak it was of me missing work just because I was feeling down and didn't really have the energy to get up and move my ass to the office. Things aren't really going awesome in my life, I'm under alot of pressure because of exams, I left some classes for this year, classes that I don't know anything about (Philosophy f.e), this a clear indicator of my deep procrastination also a really serious issue, and the classic teenager issues with love, a girl that I love since 7th grade, but I know that a relationship with her would just be impossible, plus she giving me signs that she wants to start something, just leaves me thinking alot more about her, making me ponder, am I just scared of starting a relationship, and as to why I'm already giving up on here without even trying, shoulda woulda coulda.
All this summed with the pressure from work, plus stupid feelings, plus final year in shcool pressure as left me completely exhausted and left me with a depressive feeling of helplessness and emptiness.. yet for brief periods I can tell it's all fine, problems come and go, next day will be better and I get a warm and really cozy feeling, but then bam, back to the emptiness. ALL these feelings started to come to the surface when I started working, I think the stress from work just made my focus on all my problems, of course these teenager issues came afloat every once in a while I would feel down and depressed, but now I'm feeling like that every single day, and if it were just affecting my mind I could cope with it, but also I'm losing my appetite and not feeling hungry and not eating leaves without any energy..

It's the rant forum, I'm bitching and being a tad bitchy, but I really would like to know if you feel like I'm just being a whiny dude that's crying out loud and if you really feel like that please be honest, and tell me how I can make things better, most members here have lived through much more than I have and are downright wiser than I am.
Thanks

edit on 7-5-2014 by WhiteWine because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
When it comes down to overwhelming feelings like this, that's when I say to drop the clinical, logical assessment and just go with the emotions. Something needs to change. Confront what's bothering you the most and then work your way down the list. Make one change: did it help? Still feeling bad? Listen to what your emotional side is trying to tell you. Get in tune with them. (Not always easy for a guy to do!)

You're not feeling this job* (more below on this.) Well, keep other options open and don't be afraid to try something you DO enjoy.

You're taken with this woman. Talk to her. When the time and conditions are right, just talk to her. Better to know if there is a future one way or the other than to keep wondering about it (because that will just make you sick.)

I totally understand where you're coming from today. I was in a similar state of mind all last month. Now the advice I listed above may not work for everyone, but it worked for me. I plugged in to what I was feeling emotionally and went to work on making the necessary changes. I am happier, more excited, and more optimistic than I've been all year. Why? Because I'm not pacing the floor wondering what could and shouldn't be. I just started doing what I felt was right, what I felt would make me happy. Things just have a funny way of falling into place when you acknowledge your feelings.

I hope things get better for you SOON! Best of luck.

*I applied to a call center once and was offered a position. I didn't take it. During all the interviews and practice calls and whatnot, I talked with an employee there and they told me all about the job, how tiring and draining it can be. They told me it was one of the most spiritually restricting jobs they've done. I was getting this vibe during the whole orientation thing as well. I finally decided I didn't want to do it, and I found a much more rewarding job only weeks later. This job is not for everyone. There is definitely something out there that's better for you.

edit on 7-5-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
And this is why women are becoming the dominate/alpha's.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: PassedKarma

It has nothing to do with comments like that huh?

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Sounds like it could be depression. You might want to talk to someone about it. And I don't mean on the internet, I mean in an office. Side note ... your job makes you call people during family time .. from 6pm to 10pm. People don't like that. And so you are going to get a lot of negative energy sent your way for it. I don't know if you believe in the metaphysical (I DO), but that could be part of the problem. If you are able, a job change might help as well. Something more positive energetically ...
edit on 5/7/2014 by FlyersFan because: got the words backwards

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thank you for the quick and pleasant reply Narcoleptic.

When it comes down to overwhelming feelings like this, that's when I say to drop the clinical, logical assessment and just go with the emotions. Something needs to change. Confront what's bothering you the most and then work your way down the list. Make one change: did it help? Still feeling bad? Listen to what your emotional side is trying to tell you. Get in tune with them. (Not always easy for a guy to do!)

I want to do this, but I think time plays a crucial role on this one, time is what I lack, school already eats half of my day, I have 2/3 hours free for lunch and resting a bit, then I have to go to work, I barely have time to sort out what's in my head because I'm home at 11pm and need to wake at 7am next day to go to school so I need to eat, walk the dog go to sleep at midnight and that's already late for me, basically, time to reflect about my problems is inexistent.

You're not feeling this job* (more below on this.) Well, keep other options open and don't be afraid to try something you DO enjoy.

I'm not left with any other options, most jobs that are part-time are mostly call center jobs or door 2 door, for now the things I enjoy doing, I can't make money of them, and I don't give a huge importance to money, never did, but I know that I need money unfortunately, and as of now because of all the austerity my country is going through, my budget is negative, I barely have any money.

You're taken with this woman. Talk to her. When the time and conditions are right, just talk to her. Better to know if there is a future one way or the other than to keep wondering about it (because that will just make you sick.)

We've been friends since elementary, we are basically the same, we've had a hate-love relationship and we were together for some time but unofficial it was just friends with benefits, but differ so much at the same time, I for instance, am deeply interested in the world, what's happening, what happened, what can happen, I like reading, spending time alone and just make myself more knowledgeable, she's the exact opposite, she lives in her own world, doesn't really care about what's going on outside that world, she likes to spend alot of time with her friends, going to rave parties, getting wasted, I used to be like that until I realized it wasn't worth spending all of time partying doing drugs in a fantasy world then wake up with a depressive hangover from the mdma and noticing how worthless it was to waste my life like that, those were fun times, ofc I still spend time with my friends, but we're incompatible in the sense that I want to live a calm life seeking knowledge without many things going on whereas she wants to party and constantly go out. Maybe later we might be able to start something, I know that she will always like me and I will always like her, but I should tell her at least how I feel so I know also how she feels.. I wish I could change her.

I totally understand where you're coming from today. I was in a similar state of mind all last month. Now the advice I listed above may not work for everyone, but it worked for me. I plugged in to what I was feeling emotionally and went to work on making the necessary changes. I am happier, more excited, and more optimistic than I've been all year. Why? Because I'm not pacing the floor wondering what could and shouldn't be. I just started doing what I felt was right, what I felt would make me happy.

I'm still not certain what I want to do, because as I stated above, I barely have had time for myself, but one of the things I feel like I need to do and get and immense satisfaction in doing so is helping others, if possible I wanted to do that all my life.
I'm now sure I'm quitting, it does not make me happy working on that place, I felt like it was draining my soul.. I need to focus on the 'Me', you made me actually see that I need to work on myself, before I can work on anything else, that's what I was doing before I got this job, and I was feeling really good, ATS was helping me alot, there's a bunch of things to learn here. I will start looking for what makes me happy, reason with what makes me sad, cope with that, and overall better myself and my life.

Thanks Man, thanks.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: PassedKarma

My manhood has vanished with that comment

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Sounds like it could be depression. You might want to talk to someone about it. And I don't mean on the internet, I mean in an office. Side note ... your job makes you call people during family time .. from 6pm to 10pm. People don't like that. And so you are going to get a lot of negative energy sent your way for it. I don't know if you believe in the metaphysical (I DO), but that could be part of the problem. If you are able, a job change might help as well. Something more positive energetically ...

It could be, my mother has Agoraphobia and gets easily depressed, life hasn't been exactly perfect for her unfortunately.. is this a trait that can be passed down through genetics? Maybe I inherited something and might have some predisposition to panic attacks (never ever had one) or depression?
It's not usual for me to feel like this, been a couple of years since I felt this down for so many days.

Cheers

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It's a soul-sucking job, to be sure. And it sounds like the rest of your life is rather pressurized. Sounds like you need to re-boot! One thing you might consider: You write very good English. It's not 100% perfect, but it's darn close. You might consider investigating translating as a job, at least through school. It would be a lot less pressure and no monitoring. I'm sure a lot of your contemporaries also speak English, but I was thinking from the opposite point of view. English speakers don't speak Portuguese and this would be your market. Just a thought. Good luck.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteWine

Just take a step back for a minute. You're a human being, a god damn human being, this world was made by you for you and you don't have time to feel like this! If you can't afford to change your situation change your perspective instead.

Maybe thats a bit too vague and new-agey so Wise Mr Willie can show you a thing or two about making the most of your job instead (or at least make you laugh!):

www.youtube.com...

Sorry I don't know how to embed or give advice but I hope you feel better soon

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
It's a soul-sucking job, to be sure. And it sounds like the rest of your life is rather pressurized. Sounds like you need to re-boot! One thing you might consider: You write very good English. It's not 100% perfect, but it's darn close. You might consider investigating translating as a job, at least through school. It would be a lot less pressure and no monitoring. I'm sure a lot of your contemporaries also speak English, but I was thinking from the opposite point of view. English speakers don't speak Portuguese and this would be your market. Just a thought. Good luck.

Thank you very much, my father is Swedish, we spoke alot of english at home, even though my father could speak portuguese perfectly, I grew up speaking both languages! plus 4 years of COD on Xbox Live really helped with the pronunciation, accent and vocabulary, I had spent so much time with my british clan I was already using british slang and the accent (although I tried very hard to sound british everyone would say I was australian, possibly because I was trying too hard), after quitting xbox live I now use a very american pronunciation and accent because I'm not even trying but I can't do the british accent anymore, I've resorted to the american english, I find it easier.
Translation, my older brother has a degree in translation, I was thinking of following his footsteps, but it's not something I would enjoy doing, I would like to use my english maybe as a tour guide, I know Lisbon fairly well, the monuments, the buidlings and it's history, I've always been fascinated by my nation, I think we had a very important role in shaping the world.. anways, thanks for the suggestion, it's something I might do.
I think I can only re-boot after I finish highschool, as of now that's my main priority.
Cheers

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

Just take a step back for a minute. You're a human being, a god damn human being, this world was made by you for you and you don't have time to feel like this! If you can't afford to change your situation change your perspective instead.

Maybe thats a bit too vague and new-agey so Wise Mr Willie can show you a thing or two about making the most of your job instead (or at least make you laugh!):

www.youtube.com...

Sorry I don't know how to embed or give advice but I hope you feel better soon

Thanks
that made me smile, It's not the greatest job in the world being a walmart greeter, but I simply loved how natural it was for him to be nice and brofist every costumer, best greeting in the world, I would buy from that walmart for the rest of my life eheh!
Big up for Mr. Willie, and a thank you.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
My husband has been working in call centers for 7 years now. All sorts, outgoing sales, incoming sales, banks, communications. He has disliked them all, but it's a job and pays the bills, so he does the job. I see it draining him, and look forward to when he no longer has to work for a call center.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Hey man that's what this area is for - getting this off you know.

To me, I just wish the world would change. It is literally all wrong. Nobody listens. but they listen so close to the worldly ego. I don't know why it wins. It is the same as peer pressure. Why does it win? It is not even something that is discussed between others, it is just something that is done, like a standard set in society. I don't want to be a part of this world and it pisses me off because it doesn't have to be so egotistical, it could actually be a good place if it wasn't for everybody hating on each other and denying it.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
My husband has been working in call centers for 7 years now. All sorts, outgoing sales, incoming sales, banks, communications. He has disliked them all, but it's a job and pays the bills, so he does the job. I see it draining him, and look forward to when he no longer has to work for a call center.

Your husband must be a strong man I reckon.. I couldn't even handle the first week, your man has handled 7 years, kudos to him really! Hopefully I'll never have to work on a call center again..

cheers

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: greyer

Hey man that's what this area is for - getting this off you know.

To me, I just wish the world would change. It is literally all wrong. Nobody listens. but they listen so close to the worldly ego. I don't know why it wins. It is the same as peer pressure. Why does it win? It is not even something that is discussed between others, it is just something that is done, like a standard set in society. I don't want to be a part of this world and it pisses me off because it doesn't have to be so egotistical, it could actually be a good place if it wasn't for everybody hating on each other and denying it.

I feel you man.
I wish the world would just change too, but, I don't think it will at least it won't change in some of the ways we hope it changes, our society has come a long a way, but this system is still so flawed it takes the pleasure out of living, I think we are now taking some steps backwards.
I've seen some # now, the world is crazy, I see my generation falling into an abyss of perpetual ignorance. Swag, YOLO, smoke weed everyday (this one I condemn, in the sense that smoking weed everyday is not an activity or something you should be focusing on, I love smoking a doobie after dinner, just like having a glass of wine), raves and psychadelics every friday and saturday, materialism, violence, peer pressure, dead drunk teenagers beating up each other because one stared directly into the others eyes, and this last one, I've already problems because of staring at someone and this guy and his 5 friends just turned into mindless beasts because I stared him in the eye, I'm a smartass, I have an attitude and this went wrong for me, I got beat up by 6 drunk kids and lost my front tooth to that, because I stared at someone.. but what will these activities amount to for their future? Nothing, absolutely nothing.
The world is all wrong, can we change it? Doubt it, just go with the flow of materialistic and violent teenagers? Never, I'd rather stay locked in my room forever. These issues are turning very common here in Lisbon, my generation is becoming mindless drones.
These are chronic social problems, I think they will stay in society for a whole lot longer, in the future in a different way.
But I can still make my life enjoyable, I have some very good friends thankfully and I have a supporting family and not only that, I have a billion places to go, to start over.

cheers man

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

It definitely chips away at him, but he can get a job handed to him because he has worked in the field for so long. With the job market now, and having three children, crappy or not, it's a job

I hope you never have to work in a call center again as well.

On a side note, when I was in high school a local call center for a national agency would actually try to recruit us, while we were still in school, because the turn over at call centers is SO high!

top topics

join