It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NYC Mayor De Blasio To Resurrect Large Soda Ban Attempt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Seriously? What is it with these politicians?? They can't help themselves I guess. They have no business interfering with a persons soda choice and they don't seem to care that these actions will hurt small business AND hurt the environment. People are just going to buy two sodas instead of one big one. More garbage for the landfills. What is it with these idiots obsessing about the size of soda?

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced this week his administration will pick up where former mayor Michael Bloomberg left off and will continue the battle to ban sodas larger than 16 ounces. The city will appeal a state court ruling that axed the ban last year.

City lawyers will argue the case at the Court of Appeals on June 4, the New York Daily News reported this week.

CNN - NYC Soda Ban Unfair to Small Minority Owned Business

New York City's attempt to keep people from fattening up on sugary soft drinks, by banning some of them, would disproportionately hurt small, minority-owned businesses, according to the NAACP and the Hispanic Federation.

NYC Businesses Brace For Large Soda Ban

Franchises Oppose NYC Soda Ban

edit on 5/5/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Totalitarian tiptoe.

Today its the sodas tomorrow its every right you ever had.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
How does a fat man have the nerve to preach healthy living to the masses?
This is like when Dr Phil tried to sell a diet book

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Seriously? What is it with these politicians?? They can't help themselves I guess. They have no business interfering with a persons soda choice and they don't seem to care that these actions will hurt small business AND hurt the environment. People are just going to buy two sodas instead of one big one. More garbage for the landfills. What is it with these idiots obsessing about the size of soda?

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced this week his administration will pick up where former mayor Michael Bloomberg left off and will continue the battle to ban sodas larger than 16 ounces. The city will appeal a state court ruling that axed the ban last year.

City lawyers will argue the case at the Court of Appeals on June 4, the New York Daily News reported this week.

CNN - NYC Soda Ban Unfair to Small Minority Owned Business

New York City's attempt to keep people from fattening up on sugary soft drinks, by banning some of them, would disproportionately hurt small, minority-owned businesses, according to the NAACP and the Hispanic Federation.

NYC Businesses Brace For Large Soda Ban

Franchises Oppose NYC Soda Ban

Has this issue seen the supreme court yet? This ban has been on my mind a while now and I can't understand why this hasn't been DEMOLISHED.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
If you allow a petty politician to get away with determining what and how much soda you can drink, then you are allowing him (or her) to tell you what you can eat, smoke, spend, earn.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Banning stuff from people is the worst thing any politician can do... has the U.S government not learned from the failed war on drugs? The failed attempt to ban alcohol, I am sure there are many other foods, substances and beverages we consume that the government doesn't want people to get their hands on.
They need to stop focusing on banning stuff and just educating people, and then let the people decide if they want to down three cans of fake sugar water a day, or drink their livers to death.
But then the question becomes, what do we do with all the people who don't listen?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Cant pass a law againts stupid people, but how many litters of pop does one need in a serving do ?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Not sure if I"m following your post or not.
People should be able to buy whatever size soda they want. Period.
The gov't has no business dictating those things.
The mayor of NYC should be working on fixing pot holes and cleaning up crime.
He shouldn't be sticking his nose into the private business of people in the city.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Your right government cant stop stupid people ingesting a liter of pop per serving.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Your right government cant stop stupid people ingesting a liter of pop per serving.

Why are you assuming that it is going to be consumed in one serving?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

My understanding of the ban was to stop servings of a certain size, not 2 liters, but servings per say at a movie theather.

Which the government should not have a right to do.

But the need to have certain size of drinks is completly absurd, excess in anything is well plain stupid.
edit on 5-5-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

One liter of soda = 4.22 cups. 33.8 ounces. And a lot of that would be ice in the cup.
It's not that much on a hot summer day in the city. And it's still not the mayors business.
He should be dealing with pot holes and criminals ... not soda size. He's an idiot.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Is it any of your business if I consume a liter of pop? Or a liter of bleach for that matter?

Of course we both know the answer to this obviously rhetorical question.

No. It is none of yours or anyone else's business anywhere, ever.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

a reply to: beezzer

My understanding of the ban was to stop servings of a certain size, not 2 liters, but servings per say at a movie theather.

Which the government should not have a right to do.

But the need to have certain size of drinks is completly absurd, excess in anything is well plain stupid.

Freedom to do stupid things is a cornerstone of America.

That being said, at movies, I would buy a large soda and my wife and I would share (it's cheaper than buying 2).

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Ill keep defending anybodys right to ingest whatever they want, but common sense should be used maybe.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Ill keep defending anybodys right to ingest whatever they want, but common sense should be used maybe.

It's not 'stupid' to order a large drink on a hot day in the city. Like I said, most of a cup of soda is ice anyways. And one liter of soda drank during the day isn't that much.

Whatever. The mayor is a nanny-state idiot.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Indeed it should.

Use it.

And let me do the same, even if that means I choose to chug a 2 liter of mountain dew whilst shooting off bottle rockets from my butt with a lit cigarette.
edit on Cam9Monday3620143431Mon, 05 May 2014 09:36:34 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Anything taken in excess is a bad thing for human behings, stupid is probably the wrong word.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Do you know the cost on a population of 350 million people coming from excess eating, bad diets, billions of dollars wasted for you to indulge in getting diabeties, but your right nobody can stop you.

I still think its absurd and its only an opinion.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I don't have diabetes. Some people are born with diabetes. But no, what's the cost? Who foots that cost? Big brother? Why should he if its the consumers own doing?

The point stands.

MYOB

<<   2 >>

join