It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAA Grounds All Flights From West Coast Due To Computer "Glitch"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

The FAA has declared a "ground halt" on all flights at the following airports: BOS, BWI, DCA, EWR, FLL, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, MCO, MIA, PHL, TEB

*COMPUTER PROVIDING AIR-TRAFFIC RADAR DISPLAY MALFUNCTIONING
LAX is citing "computer issues" as the reason (and a radar system crash across at least 3 Western states) which could mean delays up to 90 minutes.

FAA Grounds All Flights From West Coast Due To Computer "Glitch"

Apparently there were some airports problems in the UK too recently...Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: khimbar

Im sure many folks 1st thought is...hacker/terrorist, or cover-up. Its amazing how our world has changed. I wonder what the world will be like for my 3 year old when she's in her 40s like me....Otherwise, if its a mundane computer fark up...what a major pain in the arse. Still odd that its international

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Oh crap! Sandra Bullock was right! Just 20 years too early.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Im sure many folks 1st thought is...hacker/terrorist, or cover-up. Its amazing how our world has changed. I wonder what the world will be like for my 3 year old when she's in her 40s like me....Otherwise, if its a mundane computer fark up...what a major pain in the arse. Still odd that its international

Nah my first thought it military mobilization or weather mod experiment.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

Ha! fine fine, I didn't cover near enough ground

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Is impacting only outgoing, not incoming flights?

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Los Angeles International Airport issued a "ground stop" on Wednesday suspending take offs at the request of the Federal Aviation Administration, an airport spokeswoman said.

The ground stop, which began at around 2 p.m. local time, does not affect incoming flights, said spokeswoman Amanda Parsons, who could not immediately provide the reason for the action. An FAA spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Ha! fine fine, I didn't cover near enough ground

That's why we are here as a collective, creating and molding ideas while fighting off ninja disinfo agents.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: khimbar
Apparently there were some airports problems in the UK too recently...Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester?

That was nothing to do with any ATC stuff, but rather the Border Force automatic passport machine thingies going wonky with their facial recognition, so people couldn't just swipe and get through - instead they had to do passport checks manually, which slowed things down.

I agree though, uncanny timing.... Might just be a coincidence, might be Russian cyberspies....

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I was thinking real fires and/or dust storms -- I must be disinfo., lolz

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The headline says "from the west coast" but the list in the OP is half east coast airports?

ETA: Okay, it makes more sense now.
edit on 4/30/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

It a RADAR outage in Los Angeles ARTCC, here is the FAA advisory

ATCSCC ADVZY 123 DCC 04/30/2014 ZLA ATC 0, UNABLE TO ACCEPT TRAFFIC_FYI
ZLA HAS EXPERIENCED AN ERAM/AUTOMATION FAILURE AND IS UNABLE TO
ACCEPT ANY AIRCRAFT. THIS APPLIES TO ARRIVALS, DEPARTURES AND
ENROUTE FLIGHTS. HOLDING AND DIVERSIONS ARE ALREADY BEING
EXPERIENCED IN THE 1ST TIER ARTCCS. DUE TO SIGNIFICANT VOLUME THAT
WAS ALREADY ENROUTE TO ZLA DESTINATIONS, HEAVY VOLUME WITH GRIDLOCK
POTENTIAL IS POSSIBLE AT PHX AND SOME ZLA 1ST TIER AIRPORTS.
STAKEHOLDERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO HAVE A DIVERSION PLAN IN MIND AT A
DESTINATION THAT CAN ACCOMIDATE THE FLIGHT.

EFFECTIVE TIME:
302153 - 010259
SIGNATURE:
14/04/30 21:54

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

Why wouldn't a knowledgeable person's first thought be, "No wonder, since the FAA is using the same ATC system they were in the 60s, using horribly obsolete IBM 360s?"

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
My first thought was, "how the hell has this not happened daily".

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It happens alot more than you think. Just doesnt make the news all the time. The system that failed though was the new ERAM system, the modernization system, I guess it's already behind the times.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

JFK is in NY. Not the west coast.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
bounda reply to: Bilk22

It was departures out of the west coast headed eastbound to east coast. Primarily they identify the major east coast airports buts really any destination on the east coast was stopped. It was too late to stop the east coast going that way, it's four hours flying time, they were already airborne, they will divert to other airports.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: pale5218

Oh I know it does. They're using forty plus year old technology, with traffic levels that are magnitudes higher than imagined thirty years ago.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
They could go bact to doing it the same way they did in the 50s

Get on the phone and start scedualing the flights at the right airports.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

originally posted by: Antipathy17

Why wouldn't a knowledgeable person's first thought be, "No wonder, since the FAA is using the same ATC system they were in the 60s, using horribly obsolete IBM 360s?"

Or..."No wonder since the FAA can't even spell 'accommodate' correctly."
No spell check on those 360s...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

They haven't had a budget in over ten years. They had to cut spell check to save money.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join