It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Means War: US To Target Putin's Personal $40 Billion Stash

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I see the responses to taking Putin's "stash" as causing WWIII. Money ripped from the people of Russia.

Amazing. All one has to do is create a "fear" of war and you can get away with anything.

What a bunch of sheep.....

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Wondering if Putin himself knows that he has that much stashed away ?

Where was it again ? and also, how many zeroes...

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mypan

I had heard about 20 billion a year ago from a connected source...inflation's a bitch...

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit2000, I understand the concern, but where do you draw the line when it looks more and more like nothing more than an excuse?

Russians have the same data sources the west does. They know Europe isn't preparing for any form of war. The U.S. military is shrinking daily. It has the lowest levels of troops and equipment in Europe since the end of WWII. Nary a single tank!

Obviously, I see it as a slick move on Putin's part, brilliant, in fact.

So which in more likely to cause eventual war with Russia? Doing nothing which potentially encourages further re-expansion of the old empire- for the same old, outdated reasons, or standing up to him?

I say the former....could be wrong, though.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
a reply to: TritonTaranis

I don't know what NATO wants. Thats Europe if we take United States thinking as a separate piece of what we're seeing.

No, I don't think the US leadership WANTS war, but we didn't WANT 10 years of losing a war in Vietnam or 10 years of leaving in a bad way for Afghan either. That's the point... We're aggressively playing on Putin's back doorstep when we know Russia's greatest insecurity and most critical historic concern has been buffer space between themselves and the Western world. That's centuries of thinking. Not just recent. It carries to this day as we watch though....and if Ukraine became a Western client state? That puts our stuff 300 miles from Putin's office...give or take a mile or two.

I don't think the U.S. has ever shown a sense of cultural awareness or appreciation to how that factors into everything about a place and people. We didn't with our own Natives and we haven't anywhere else. People conform to us or we respond in very unfriendly ways....and I think it's grown such a big head, the US has come to play on the razor's edge of war, in some naive belief that no one would DARE attack US...because...well...we're US, I guess.

Yeah.. I think my real issue there is how many times history has literally shown that to be the famous last thoughts of an Empire, before actions took them beyond the point hindsight can see was the last of no return.

When your rivalling a nuclear power such as Russia war is always and will be off the cards as an option, until you can totally counter that nuclear threat, I'm in two minds whether it has been or not, I'm sure the tech is there but not so much reliable or the best safest option available

There are other options

We see that card get played, and it worked, hence no more Soviet Union

Why risk nuclear war over a strategy proven to work where being in a better position to again use it

The West and East will continue to play out this game until they're either "like the west was" united through war

There are no intentions at all for either side to engage each other militarily, they fight each other through proxies across the globe for control and influence like a game of chess

NATO has always had an open door policy, they have also a number of times turned down requests form Ukraine to join out of respect for Russia and there concerns, mainly of looking weak, NATO build defensive missile shields because Russia build thermo nuclear delivery systems, while the US stops Russian expansions and influence elsewhere across the globe being the stronger of the alliance

This has always been case and the tactics employed, by both sides, Russia's has always had a foreign policy based on going against everything the US or Other western NATO members did to prosper, one of a relentless quest to rival while defending and maintaining a force capable enough of repealing in the event of it boiling over, which is probably why NATO has called for more military spending from NATO members and applied sanctions with more to come

It is effectively saying we no longer trust Russia, and declare a new unrestricted cold war 2.0

There won't be any major conflict with Russia from NATO or the US! Russia has too many weaknesses and holes to be exploited to risk a the planets health

All in all this boils down to in the end is Russia's refusal to accept that she has lost influence in the back yard she can see from her window, as well as other neighbours backyards, she is losing the game, and because Russia broke the rules of the game the game has once again changed

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Well, on the overall situation, we did as much to make this happen from money and attempts to peddle or buy influence as Russia has in their more direct and physical approach. Some things never change...except the level of professionalism it's done with.

A frank look at how the US helped fund the Ukraine troubles

That's one I did with some research in March for a Reality Remix segment. I'd have a much easier time seeing this as clearly as some do for Putin being the bad guy to our 'not so bad'..if that history wasn't there, coupled with McCain's personal visit in December, Rah Rah speech to those who would become the unrest leaders and open taunts to Putin then. This is one of the more manufactured events I've seen.

Still, I really don't think the US thought Russia was willing to push, let alone cross the center line into becoming the aggressor in response to our meddling. I'll bet it's been a nasty surprise and a crash course in what previous Presidents dealt with in Russian leaders. They just don't play....and my fear is really that our side isn't getting that message. World War I was ALL about miscalculation for how it started...and both sides are misreading each other now, IMO.

If Putin ever decides to bump this up, he'll do what we do in such situations...and it's what we ...just....can't....accept...anyone could or would do to us. We'll know he's blown his last fuse of tolerance when we hear every channel flip to the Emergency Broadcast System, minus the 'Only a Drill' nonsense.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: projectbane
What does this have to do with Putin's Billions?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Yep we announce it first.

Then we know what a nice guy Putin is, he will just leave it there waiting to be "frozen".

This is just blowing smoke up our rear.

What, you don't think he prepared for this?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

Seems weird, usually it is announced after it is done. Unless maybe the bank refused to play ball, and they just pushed it public to shame them into complying?
edit on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 00:31:01 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01
Yep we announce it first.

Then we know what a nice guy Putin is, he will just leave it there waiting to be "frozen".

This is just blowing smoke up our rear.

What, you don't think he prepared for this?

Our media has really been going out on a limb with how much the common people are capable of believing lately. It is almost as if they are crying for help and purposefully damaging their credibility.

Information on the incomes, assets and liabilities of the President, the Presidential Executive Office staff appointed to their posts by the President, the Security Council staff, and of their family members is published in accordance with Presidential Executive Order No. 561 of May 18, 2009.
President of Russia Official site.

There is a link there that goes to a word document that gives him an income of about 5 million rubles or about 150,000 US Dollars.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

My only problem with what the U.S. did to contribute to this situation is Georgia and it's take-over/ occupation.

First, Georgia, then Crimea, now eastern Ukraine all ex-Soviet satellites.

Ex being the operative commonality...all due to the cold war and ultimately the U.S.. If the responsibility needs to be placed, then place it there.

From the Marshall plan forward, the U.S. has spent an amazing amount rebuilding Europe and later the ex-Soviet puppet states.

What percentage has been subverted to less than honorable purposes in those fundings are unclear. Especially in recent years.

From the frame of reference of "fighting for freedom", the U.S. has/had a responsibility to assist in that transition. Has it been screwed up? Of course, what else is new.

Russia, also, was given monies by the U.S.. Off the top, nuclear disposal/disarming et al.

The U.S.'s biggest screw up was Russia itself and it's transition to a democracy- a whole different subject-that has led to Putin and this current mess. Not monies given to the Ukraine. IMHO.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Star for you Wrabbit,couldn't agree more with what you stated. Our politicians have been acting like school yard bullys with Russia, telling them how to have their government,how to run their business',how to think, how to treat their people etc.

Why? because we can thats why. Its just an absurd way to treat the rest of the world,not just Russia has complained about us on these things either. We go into Afghanistan and tell them how to be clean. I mean really? Is that why our marines are there? They are risking they're lives to give hygiene lessons.Unbelievable.

And as far as us trying to spread freedom and our idea of Democracy, um yeah, we don't even have a Democracy ourselves,so how can we give it to others. And really is it any of our business what type of government other countries go with? No. People will be ruled as they see fit. In time,the people will rise up and fight if they're government is that bad. It may take generations..but so be it. It is still not our place to DICTATE to others how to govern.

Nor is it our place to throw out or overthrow other governments to have better business partners. If we truly were trying to spread Democracy then we wouldn't go in and cause trouble in Democratic countries so they get over thrown.This is and has always been about money,plain and simple.We have a bunch of greedy (&T^&*^* that are the puppet masters who are pulling the strings,and decided there is much money to be made tearing a country down and rebuilding it.
We did promise that we would leave the eastern bloc countries alone after the USSR fell,and then turned right around and tried to bring them all into NATO,knowing this would upset Russia and not caring.We deserve what we get.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane
Every great empire eventually bites off more than it can chew....British Empire, Roman etc etc

I see quotes like this quite often when people like to crap on America, but there are some things fundamentally wrong with the statement.

Firstly, neither the Roman Empire nor the British Empire "bit off more they could chew" - the former collapsed after years of social decline, a widening wealth gap and several plagues (big over-simplification, but I don't want to digress). The latter did not even "collapse", but willingly dismantled itself after World War 2.

Anhoo, as for the OP, I am quite shocked he has $40 Billion stashed away! If they did do this, it is certainly tightening the screw - the Russian economy has already taken a hell of a beating with massive capital flight and growth slowing to a standstill from 4% earlier in the year.

If this continues for a few months yet, it certainly has the potential to make the already weak Russian economy (which is based in a large part on Oil/Gas exports) collapse altogether, raising the possibility of removing Putin and his cohort for good.

Maybe that is the plan?
edit on 21/4/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
i suspect it is just empty threats to try to make the US leadership look like they are doing something. the Swiss would be nuts to let the US con them into doing this. if the Swiss were to freeze any accounts alleged to belong to Putin they would be shooting themselves in the foot. here is the thing. why do people bank with the Swiss? it is because the Swiss have maintained a SAFE and secure place to store your money. if they would freeze these accounts they would loose that status, which would badly hurt their banking system. imagine all that wealth suddenly leaving to go to other places where money is still safe and secure, when the Swiss show the world it is no longer safe and secure in their banks. i wonder how many BILLIONS or even TRILLIONS of dollars would almost instantly leave if this idiotic thing were done. that would be one hell of a "bank run", could the Swiss banking industry and economy be able to survive that?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
We have seen this play before like with Sadam where the bakers says it's all his personal money and Tony Blair come in and robs it.

Russia might indeed have $40bn in accounts around the world but that's not to say it belongs to Putin but again I say to you all that Putin is in on the deal and this is all about pushing oil prices up so that the USA , Iran and Russia all profit from the increase in prices.

Both Russia and China have physical asset that belong to the USA on there own ground so keep the paper and we will keep the real assets like all the drilling stations owned by Bp, Shell , Exon that are in the middle of Russia and get by with our own BRICKS Money.

One tiny little nuke being sent to Switzerland would soon see the worth of this fiat paper becoming useless and yardydar it would be suicide well yes it might just be but if the USA wants to risk all then this is whats at stake.

it's all being done to create fear so no one will complain as gas prices go up and even more money is robbed from the people to throw at the military contractors who charge $100 for delivering a gallon of gas to Afghanistan and you won't see any red on blue actions but you will see a lot of hot air and spin.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   

What's next...as we gaze around... Ahh yes... Napoleon and Hitler BOTH got stomped in Russia. That's too much to pass up as unconfirmed for the American politician. We must get there soon and begin the confirmation process. May as well get Putin spitting mad first though. [X] Check!

I'm sure it'll come to a result quicker than we expect.

The absolute worst part of it all,

Is that the West actions are turning the Russian people Patriotic.

It means, standing firm, is in the Russian Politicians best interest.

We are creating a common Enemy for the Russian people, its absurd, its the height of Hubris to even think of engaging and invading a Russian front.

Clearly, our Representatives never played Risk.
edit on 21-4-2014 by mrmeeseeks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
"Is that the West actions are turning the Russian people Patriotic."

I didn't think about that little bonus for Russia on top of export oil prices going up, thanks for reminding me.

a reply to: TritonTaranis

When your rivalling a nuclear power such as Russia war is always and will be off the cards as an option, until you can totally counter that nuclear threat, I'm in two minds whether it has been or not, I'm sure the tech is there but not so much reliable or the best safest option available

Not a chance to "totally counter that nuclear threat" when Russia is well ahead of the USA with it's missile and rocket systems and then you would have to hope that Russia does not have biological weapons in it's labs or any of those 40 missing suite case bombs surface.

Are you going to come and fight me man to man over a chocolate bar knowing I have an hand grande I can use at any time ? It's a phony war to push oil prices up and if the markets won't play ball then at least we can increase taxes to spend with our military contractors to chase another boggy man.
edit on 21-4-2014 by VirusGuard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   

What's next...as we gaze around... Ahh yes... Napoleon and Hitler BOTH got stomped in Russia. That's too much to pass up as unconfirmed for the American politician. We must get there soon and begin the confirmation process. May as well get Putin spitting mad first though. [X] Check!

Whilst any war in Russia would be tricky, as their Winter can be harsh, it is too easy to draw comparisons to historical campaigns and think they would apply today.

Napoleon's campaign faltered because of poor logistics (compounded by the weather but not caused by) and by the Russians burning down Moscow as he took it, meaning there were no supplies there to be had as he had planned for.

Germany could have easily defeated Russia had they stuck to their strategic plans instead of letting Hitler meddle and not sticking to the Blitzkrieg doctrine, instead getting bogged down in attritional warfare over cities that long since ceased to offer any strategic value. Had they simply encircled those cities, moved on and not attempted to take them , plus also going for the original objectives, they wouldn't have lost so many men and machines to the meat grinders. The Russian winter itself wasn't a decisive factor - they fought in Russia for a few years.

For a modern, well equipped Army, the Russian winter shouldn't pose that much of a challenge. Most NATO armies are quite well versed in Winter warfare and modern logistics should mitigate the issues seen in the 19th and 20th centuries.

This isn't to say it would be easy, but I think far too much is made out of two failed campaigns which largely fell on their arses owing to their own commanders mistakes than anything else. There are several examples of successful campaigns in Russia as well, but these often get overlooked in favour of the two most spectacular failures.
edit on 21/4/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Ain't it funny/weird that the only thing a certain type of person will hear or listen to is the threat of poverty?
Ain't it peculiar that it takes a certain type of person to deem such a thing necessary?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane
a reply to: freakjive

Every great empire eventually bites off more than it can chew....British Empire, Roman etc etc

This is Americas path to downfall!!!

It has always come down to Great Leaders, even today!!

Obama and Putin

Both Hold degrees in Law!!

Ok I was with you up through this line.

Obama - Possible Homosexual, Cocaine loving, constitution burning non strategist!!

Possible homosexual? What does that have to do with anything? Plus he clearly has a wife and kids... Cocaine loving? Source for that? I'll give you constitution burning cause he has no respect for it, but man your bias and hate are showing.

Putin - Former KGB, Former Director of FSB, Master of Combat Sambo and Russian Judo Master full ON strategist!!

This was crafted to make Putin look more capable than Obama, I get it, but putting irrelevant stuff in there like coc aine loving or possible homosexual has absolutely ZERO to do with a leader's ability to lead a country or handle himself in a crisis.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join