It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Russian Fireball? April 19 2014

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

---I hit the wrong button and this is supposed to be a general reply to the OP... no offense diet!---

Cool find.. .thanks.

Hard to say if we're just more aware or if we're being bombarded more than usual... but we're always in danger from big rocks from space.

It is unsettling that we could be erased at any moment... but our lives are constant dice rolls, every second, until we lose one.

But my own opinion from the uptick of reports is that we are entering a debris field... and supporting more money for dealing with near Earth asteroids is smart and prudent.

There isn't much we can do... yet.

And for the folks that are easily spooked and don't follow astronomy, space is big and the rocks are few and far between and there's no more reason to be scared now than an eon ago... but more people being aware of this danger will only lead us to prioritize our energy to preventing the next big one.

Sucks being helpless.

*Edit again* and there is another thread on ATS here:

ATS Asteroid Threat Thread

About nuclear weapon detectors ...er detecting 26 multi kiloton asteroid explosions in our atmosphere since 2001 and astronauts trying to raise public awareness and thus funding for a plan and tech to avoid this.

edit on 4/19/2014 by Baddogma because: reply mayhem

edit on 4/19/2014 by Baddogma because: type-o and wanted to fill up my post with edit notes

edit on 4/19/2014 by Baddogma because: add

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
a reply to: PlanetXisHERE

The frequency of reports during the 70's and 80's weren't as widespread because technology wasn't what it is now. There were only about 13 channels on TV compared to the 100s now. Most people heard about the news via the newspaper, word of mouth or local evening news.
I saw a fireball streak across the sky when I was a teenager, I told my friends and family about it but if that happened with today's technology I could have probably snapped a picture or caught a video with my smartphone then uploaded it to the internet. Back then it wasn't a possibility.

I can see your point, but still back in the 80's there was cable news and even in the 70's there was national news - and they never miss a chance at reporting sensational news.

I'm even comparing this period of the last five years or so to back in the late 90's and early 2000's when we may not yet have had youtube but still camera phones were widespread, there were many 24hr national and international news channels - compared with even 10 - 12 years ago when we had much of the tech and were largely the information society we are today - fireballs were extremely rare events. This is even born out by the stats from the American Meteor Society someone posted above.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Trust me I know, I am almost 40 years old

Even in the late 90's to early 2000's technology wasn't what it is now. The iPhone wasn't released until 2007.
It seems like technology has been around a lot longer but it's still fairly new.
edit on 19-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spelling

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It may have been connected to the lyrid meteor shower. It runs from April 16-26 and is known for it impressive bright fire balls. But with out knowing what part of the sky this came from and the direction of travel its impossible to tell.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

originally posted by: Mianeye

Great ball of fire

and yes we are getting more of them.

Where is the link to that statementCommon as bird poop.

You won't find it. There is no link be cause that is an opinion. Uninformed at that. We are not getting more of these. They happen every single day day in and day out . We see them at night and call them shooting stars.

LOL, here we go again. Now, who's uninformed and who's throwing out opinions? It is his opinion and his own judgment that fireballs have increased while it's your own opinion that they have not. Not anyone here at ATS has yet to prove that they haven't increased, just as we believers in their rise in frequency have yet to prove they haven't increased. All opinions. I prefer to use common sense and common sense tells me that you all can come up with all of your excuses, but fireballs have increased. A fireball is not a shooting star, by the way. That statement alone shows your inability to be the voice on this one.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I guess it was not as big as the one that exploded the last time over Russia, because there has no explosion be reported and so it must have hit the ground.
Assuming it would have been as big as the last one, I think it might have shown on seismograph if it would have hit the ground, since it was pretty big.
So 2 options. 1st it did not hit the ground 2nd it was not sooo big.

But maybe somebody can correct me, I have no idea about this stuff

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
After some digging i found this below from reported fireballs in the US and it does seem there is a rise in reported fireballs but again with media coverage from individual sightings more people will be aware of they can actually report it, it doesn't mean that there is a rise in fireballs hitting Earth.

Fireballs log

2010: 954 Events found in 2010
2011: 1637 Events found in 2011
2012: 2151 Events found in 2012
2013: 3561 Events found in 2013
2014: So far 930 Events found in 2014

So, let me understand this, a rise in fireball sightings definitively rules out a rise in fireballs, or is that possibility still within the set of potentialities?

edit on 19-4-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: epiphany

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well, it could be but there is no mention anywhere from scientist about a rise and it's also mentioned in another post that most fireballs are actually not reported as they are not seen.

So yes more reports but it's allmost imposible for you or me to judge from what we are shown in reports if there should be a rise in fireballs, it's just reports, and the most obvius is that more people get to know they can report it.

After Chebyalinsk meteor which was covered in most of MSM a lot more people is getting aware of the danger from these entries and there was actually phonenumbers and webpages shown in the news where people if seeing a fireball could report it.

So IMO it's a rise in more awareness, untill i actually see scientist come out with some real numbers that shows a rise in fireballs.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
The only definitive way to tell if the amount of fireballs is on the rise is to have a set area of sky (which has to be a pretty good percentage of the earth) and watch how many fireballs are observed over a given amount of time and then repeat that process. Then graph the events over time. All of these reports mean nothing because they have been taken in different parts of the world with a different amount of sky being watched with a different number of people watching at different times. To many variables. The problem with the scientific observation is you need to continuously watch a really large area for really long time to get an accurate representation of the occurrences of fireballs.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This one was not as large as the Chelyabinsk event. There was no sound or air blast detected.

A Russian astronomer has also linked this to the Lyrid meteor shower.

Russian Astronomer

The Lyrid meteor shower occurs when the Earth moves through the dust left behind by Comet Thatcher which circles the sun every 415 years:

Lyrid Meteor Shower

Eventually I expect we will set up observatories on the far side of the moon so we don't get blind sided. Also space telescopes will be placed far from Earth, like the asteroid belt, to watch for in-coming visitors from the Oort cloud.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So there are a lot of dash board cameras installed in cars in Russia to prevent insurance fraud. I was wondering about this as there seemed to be so many dashboard cams that caught the large meteor in Chelyabinsk, question answered.

A Russian astronomer, Viktor Troshenkov, is suggesting that this was part of the Luris Meteor shower that peaks April 22-23rd.

Emergency officials didn't receive any alarm calls on Saturday.

Why does Russia seem to get so many bright meteors? Well at 6.6 million square miles it’s by far the largest country in the world plus, with dashboard-mounted cameras being so commonplace (partly to help combat insurance fraud) statistically it just makes sense that Russians would end up seeing more meteors, and then be able to share the experience with the rest of the world!

This is exactly what happened early this morning, April 19 (local time), when a bright fireball flashed in the skies over Murmansk, located on the Kola Peninsula in northwest Russia near the border of Finland. Luckily not nearly as large or powerful as the Chelyabinsk meteor event from February 2013, no sound or air blast from this fireball has been reported and nobody was injured.

Details on the object aren’t yet known… it could be a meteor (most likely) or it could be re-entering space debris. The video above, some of which was captured by Alexandr Nesterov from his dashcam, shows the object dramatically lighting up the early morning sky.

Echo's of Chelyabinsk: Another Fireball Explodes Over Russia
edit on 20-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BGTM90
The only definitive way to tell if the amount of fireballs is on the rise is to have a set area of sky (which has to be a pretty good percentage of the earth) and watch how many fireballs are observed over a given amount of time and then repeat that process. Then graph the events over time. All of these reports mean nothing because they have been taken in different parts of the world with a different amount of sky being watched with a different number of people watching at different times. To many variables. The problem with the scientific observation is you need to continuously watch a really large area for really long time to get an accurate representation of the occurrences of fireballs.

Thing is, I think those "in the know" already know about the increase...hence, the grounding of the space program and other recent NASA actions. They just don't want us to know because if the rate continues to escalate, well, just like with any other escalating phenomenon (sinkholes, booms, quakes), they don't want people to panic. Better to let us rest easy and not be aware. If fate comes calling for you via natural disaster, so be it. You will be caught by surprise rather than live with fear every day.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chamberf=6

Yes, it is another fireball, and yes we are getting more of them.

I guess I am just one of those types who can rely on their own judgement from observation of evidence, and not have to wait for the MSM or government to tell me something before I recognize it as being true. Just like you will never hear definitively on the MSM or from the government that there was a huge cover-up surrounding the execution of JFK, I have looked at all the evidence and know that to be the case.

Like saying Planet X is here?

You've toned it down now, but I remember that was about all you could talk about. Lens flares proved it!

Whenever I see one of your posts I'm reminded of this thread or others like it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: BGTM90

Thing is, I think those "in the know" already know about the increase...hence, the grounding of the space program and other recent NASA actions. They just don't want us to know because if the rate continues to escalate, well, just like with any other escalating phenomenon (sinkholes, booms, quakes), they don't want people to panic. Better to let us rest easy and not be aware. If fate comes calling for you via natural disaster, so be it. You will be caught by surprise rather than live with fear every day.

The reason the space program is "grounded" I would call it in limbo, Is because we were using 30 year old technology designed to bring large amournts of cargo into space like building the ISS. And now Nasa is shifting to a space craft that is more callable of bringing humans further into space. The Orion capsule will have a test flight later this year and bring humans into space in 2016 if all goes well. They are leaving the cargo to private companies. If they thought there was danger of launching into space they wouldn't be paying companies billions of dollars for contracts. Also do you have any scientific proof sinkholes booms( what ever that is) and big quakes are on the rise?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I was pointing out that your "judgement from observation of evidence" doesn't always count for much.
Like an increase in fireballs or Planet X being here.

I find what I said relevant and an appropriate response to your claim, IMO.
If it offends you, so be it.

I guess I am just one of those types who can rely on their own judgement from observation of evidence, and not have to wait for the MSM or government to tell me something before I recognize it as being true.

edit on 4/21/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I guess I am just one of those types who can rely on their own judgement from observation of evidence, and not have to wait for the MSM or government to tell me something before I recognize it as being true. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's what was asked for, for you to show exactly this what you are saying here, can you show it or will you simply repeat that you are this kind of person?

I have looked at all the evidence and know that to be the case. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sure you have looked at all the evidence, so has every other ATS member.

(post by PlanetXisHERE removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Yes I have but many of your threads don't really require much to point out some basic things, and simply don't interest me.

But when you make absolute claims ,

then say they are based on your judgement,

I am just one of those types who can rely on their own judgement
that at least deserves a bit of challenging.

Just because you don't contribute to the same threads I do (as our basic interests usually don't overlap) you don't know my posting history for the most part or seem to care other than lash out at me whenever you see me in your threads.

May it be because of the longer debates we used to have over Planet X threads you made a couple years ago?

Surely not.

And I wonder if InhaleExhale has ever disagreed or challenged you before also as you ranted on them, too, here:

It must be so easy to sit back and be an armchair quarterback when you never start threads, sorry four threads in two years.

Anyway, my point was I'm going from my own experience of hearing about dramatic fireballs about once every five years in the 70's, 80's, 90', and early 2000's to going to hearing about them a few times a week over the past five years or so.

Is ATS a contest of who creates the most threads? If so, I don't remember reading that in the T&Cs.

Quality of threads would seem more important to me, but hey what do I know?

Again in your response defending your statement

you say that this absolute statement is from your subjective experiences and about you "hearing" about fireballs "a few times a week" (??).

Yet nobody is supposed to question your "judgement" based on your "experiences" and "hearing"??

edit on 4/22/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join