It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: US military ‘significantly superior’ to Russia’s

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Ok, I see a double standard here on ATS regarding this.

I am NOT an Obama supporter, but it seems that Obama has been getting bashed alot for being "too diplomatic" and not taking a stand, or have back bone.

So now he seems to grow a pair and struts a backbone and people bash him for that?????

Seriously, wtf ATS?

As I stated I dislike him and his policies, but geez. Almost every single post bashing him for flexing a little muscle against a foreign "steroid muscle builder"(not litterally on steroids).

As a matter of fact I think this is the first thing he has ever said that I liked.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner
The way the global economy is failing, there is no option but war to distract the masses from their collective misery.

Maybe we're all just bored stupid or just forgetful.

WW3 is coming because nearly all who fought it are gone, and forgetfulness has set in once again.

Ask anyone who has been in combat, they will tell you it ain't no place anyone wants to be, myself included.

These provocative words from our dummy president....he knows exactly the response that will come.

It's just a game to the guys running the show.

No Mitten Grabben...No Button Pushen...

certainly forgetful it only takes 1 or 2 generations to forget the pain the previous generations went through...war with russia would be a disaster for the modern world

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01

I am NOT an Obama supporter, but it seems that Obama has been getting bashed alot for being "too diplomatic" and not taking a stand, or have back bone.

So now he seems to grow a pair and struts a backbone and people bash him for that?????

Seriously, wtf ATS?

As I stated I dislike him and his policies, but geez. Almost every single post bashing him for flexing a little muscle against a foreign "steroid muscle builder"(not litterally on steroids).

As a matter of fact I think this is the first thing he has ever said that I liked.

Or maybe the non-Americans of the world are pointing out the insane hypocrisy that Comes out in the statements of the American government that are driving the world towards another senseless massacre? And for what? Who gets to make the next free trade agreement with the EU?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner
The way the global economy is failing, there is no option but war to distract the masses from their collective misery.

Maybe we're all just bored stupid or just forgetful.

WW3 is coming because nearly all who fought it are gone, and forgetfulness has set in once again.

Ask anyone who has been in combat, they will tell you it ain't no place anyone wants to be, myself included.

These provocative words from our dummy president....he knows exactly the response that will come.

It's just a game to the guys running the show.

No Mitten Grabben...No Button Pushen...

certainly forgetful it only takes 1 or 2 generations to forget the pain the previous generations went through...war with russia would be a disaster for the modern world

It would change everything. A war that will end with the determinism to pacify who and what caused the war. Just like the last Great War.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vovin
Obama: US military ‘significantly superior’ to Russia’s

US President Barack Obama says Moscow does not want a war with Washington since it knows that the US military is “significantly superior” to Russia’s.

The Russians are “not interested in any kind of military confrontation with us, understanding that our conventional forces are significantly superior to the Russians,” Obama said during an interview with CBS News on Wednesday.

...What?

The hubris is deafening...

That's all he is. One giant quivering ball of ego-driven hubris.

It's dangerous for us all that he believes so much in the power of his own persuasion, while the rest of the world sees his battleship mouth write checks his tin-can ass can't cover.

If ever there was a man at the controls of the doomsday switch who would push the button just because he's angry the world doesn't see him as he sees himself, it's Obama.

I wonder when he'll finally used the race-card on Putin? He's used it on every other opponent.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys
The United States hasn't fought a real enemy in decades. Beating up on 3rd world militaries and goat herders with AKs' and IED's is nothing. Russia actually has one of the most sophisticated miiltaries in the world. Of course it's not at the level or on the same scale as the US as they spend probably 1/6 of what we do per year on their military. Can we say MiGs, S400s, P-800 anti ship missiles? Obama and Biden are a disgrace and so are any Americans that are supporting this current administration. If send troops to Ukraine and engage Russia it will be a bloody war that America has no stomach for. The Russians are tough people and will be fighting to protect their homeland, economy, etc. What will the US troops be fighting for? Another government overthrow?

If you read the quote Obama was speaking about NOT going to war with Russia, yet your heard the opposite, somehow.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy

originally posted by: 4TheHighCyde20
Well, he's not wrong. US conventional forces are drastically superior to the Russians. This isn't even an opinion, it's fact. They're still operating 1980's Soviet tech. Putin is trying to modernize his military, but as he does so are the Americans.

Doesn't matter, 20,000 nuclear warheads is enough to bring any world to it's knees and Russia has that ability regardless of how old their tech is.

How do you get 20,000 out of 1,800 (8,500 of which 6,700 are defunct)? Just wondering.
edit on 18-4-2014 by Davian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: spurgeonatorsrevenge

The United States hasn't fought a real enemy in decades. Beating up on 3rd world militaries and goat herders with AKs' and IED's is nothing. Russia actually has one of the most sophisticated miiltaries in the world. Of course it's not at the level or on the same scale as the US as they spend probably 1/6 of what we do per year on their military. Can we say MiGs, S400s, P-800 anti ship missiles? Obama and Biden are a disgrace and so are any Americans that are supporting this current administration. If send troops to Ukraine and engage Russia it will be a bloody war that America has no stomach for. The Russians are tough people and will be fighting to protect their homeland, economy, etc. What will the US troops be fighting for? Another government overthrow?

If you read the quote Obama was speaking about NOT going to war with Russia, yet your heard the opposite, somehow.

Yet what he said was pro-war rhetoric. You do not say "our military is so great that nobody will challenge us" without an expansionist agenda.

He was appealing to the investors of his agenda, claiming that they can only gain if they believe him. And that's really what all capitalist governments are: accountants of the bourgeoisie, as Marx and Engels claimed. The American military is deployed to acquire profit for whoever invests in the campaign.

For what other reason would Russia and the USA clash in modern times? How can the USA still bemoan the "evil empire" of the communist Soviet Union when modern Russia is just as capitalist as the USA?

Again, the root of this whole Ukraine escalation is exposed. Russia was proposing an FTA agreement with the EU, and now Obama has strategically played Russia as a security threat to Europe, only to claim American military might is sufficient to keep the Russians at bay, while pushing the Transatlantic FTA in the background.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

You think flexing his muscles and taking a stand is by making a dumbfounded comment about how we are superior militarily to Russia? LMAO! Ok.........maybe if Obama had a backbone he would have shut his mouth in the first place. Maybe he would have taken out the Assad regime. Maybe he'd shove a Predator drone up little fat kimmie's NK a@#! Actions speak louder than words. Obama and his entire administration are all talk.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Seriously, wtf ATS?

Or maybe the non-Americans of the world are pointing out the insane hypocrisy that Comes out in the statements of the American government that are driving the world towards another senseless massacre? And for what? Who gets to make the next free trade agreement with the EU?

He was responding to a question about a Russian fighter jet buzzing a US Navy ship in the Black sea.

“We don’t need a war,” Obama said. “What we do need is a recognition that countries like Ukraine can have relationships with a whole range of their neighbors and it is not up to anybody, whether it is Russia or the United States or anybody else, to make decisions for them.”

So what, a Russian plane flying too close to an American ship is ok? It must be ok for the Russians to provoke the US but when the president answers a direct question on the matter it is driving the world into another massacre?

Did you read the article?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Davian

I heard they had roughly 20,000 nukes but I also haven't taken into account the deal between the USA and Russia to dismantle stockpiles. But in the same link, this is found.

The Soviet Union tested its first nuclear weapon ("RDS-1") in 1949, in a crash project developed partially with espionage obtained during and after World War II (see: Soviet atomic bomb project). The Soviet Union was the second nation to have developed and tested a nuclear weapon. The direct motivation for their weapons development was to achieve a balance of power during the Cold War. It tested its first megaton-range hydrogen bomb ("RDS-37") in 1955.

The Soviet Union also tested the most powerful explosive ever detonated by humans, ("Tsar Bomba"), with a theoretical yield of 100 megatons, intentionally reduced to 50 when detonated. After its dissolution in 1991, the Soviet weapons entered officially into the possession of the Russian Federation.[15] The Soviet nuclear arsenal contained some 45,000 warheads at its peak (in 1986); the Soviet Union built about 55,000 nuclear warheads since 1949.

So they have had over 10-15,000 nukes somewhere along the line and I'm guessing the information in the link is not accurate anyway and the link clearly states that also.

The following is a list of states that have admitted the possession of nuclear weapons, the approximate number of warheads under their control, and the year they tested their first weapon. This list is informally known in global politics as the "Nuclear Club."[2] With the exception of Russia and the United States (which have subjected their nuclear forces to independent verification under various treaties) these figures are estimates, in some cases quite unreliable estimates.

So to me, it is possible that the Russians have a lot more nukes than what the link is saying. I will agree though that by the looks of it they do not have 20,000 and it's more likely that number were somewhere from the past.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

a reply to: liejunkie01

You think flexing his muscles and taking a stand is by making a dumbfounded comment about how we are superior militarily to Russia? LMAO! Ok.........maybe if Obama had a backbone he would have shut his mouth in the first place. Maybe he would have taken out the Assad regime. Maybe he'd shove a Predator drone up little fat kimmie's NK a@#! Actions speak louder than words. Obama and his entire administration are all talk.

Once again, if he keeps his mouth shut, then he is proven weak when asked about the Russian plane buzzing the ship. Which is exactly what his statement was referring to.

If actions speak louder than words then the damn ship should have shot down the damn plane, you know to make a statement, because actions speak louder than words. Then where would we be?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Will comment on this...

People always throw out nonsense like, America lost this war or that war...

Take Korea... 36,516 dead USA, South Korea 58,127- North Korea 215,000, China 400,000

Roughly a 5 or 6 to one ratio

It's the same in every war or worse Take Iraq (2003) Usa losses 174, Iraq? as high as 45,000

People act as if we are going to exterminate the population or land hold the places we fight or start WW3... that's not what these Wars are about, they are economic, trade based, many things...even down to the showing off the weapons systems we have for sale honestly.... but we never lost anything really ever...

How can the word "loose" even be applied when we sailed the freaking heck around the world on boats went to someone else's country on a different continent, landed men, got planes over, supplied them then kicked the living daylights out of them in in battles ranging from a 6-1 kill ratio to, 120-1 kill ratio more recently? And then the enemy didn't get to fire a shot at your territory EVER... I mean seriously was the goal of any of these wars ever to... I dunno Ghengis Kahn the crud out of the people we fought, kill the men off rape the women destroy the culture and make it a new State? If so then we lost... lol, but otherwise we have sailed places and B slapped everyone we ever had a conflict with...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I just wanted to add, it is Bush's military. Not Obama's.

Obama just inherited it.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Yet what he said was pro-war rhetoric. You do not say "our military is so great that nobody will challenge us" without an expansionist agenda.

I wouldn't characterize his statements as pro war, I would say that his words actually reduce tension, not increase it. He is preemptively saying war is not going to be an option, he is not giving Putin the ability to set the terms by defining them first.

If you do not want to engage in a gun dual, the best thing to do is declare fist fight before your opponent can determine the venue first.

He was appealing to the investors of his agenda, claiming that they can only gain if they believe him.

Yes, I think that was also his motive

And that's really what all capitalist governments are: accountants of the bourgeoisie, as Marx and Engels claimed. The American military is deployed to acquire profit for whoever invests in the campaign.
Well I think the game is trade and oil, not war profiteering in this case.

For what other reason would Russia and the USA clash in modern times? How can the USA still bemoan the "evil empire" of the communist Soviet Union when modern Russia is just as capitalist as the USA?

Again, the root of this whole Ukraine escalation is exposed. Russia was proposing an FTA agreement with the EU, and now Obama has strategically played Russia as a security threat to Europe, only to claim American military might is sufficient to keep the Russians at bay, while pushing the Transatlantic FTA in the background.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Seriously, wtf ATS?

--
I know.

The hypocrisy is appalling.

These kinds of threads are a haven for those who come here to vent their hatred of the west.

War with russia would be bloody, but we will win, not by our own hand, but with the aid of our allies.

If anything, it sounds like the crowd WANTED us to shoot down that russian plane.
The paranoia seriously has griped some people here to the point of madness.

One point to remember, their will always be a bully on the block, if not us, then somebody else.
Face it folks, this is the age we live in, our generation is a warring one, so get use to it.

I am a proud American Citizen/Soldier. Do Something.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

People are still dying in Iraq today because of the US intervention. If the US didn't intervene those people wouldn't be dying. Just because your military are considered inactive or what ever it is doesn't mean you discount the deaths that are still happening. Iraq is a terrorists haven because of what you's done but I guess that's Al-Qaeda's fault for taking weapons off the USA to fight the Russians back in the 80's?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit
--
Yup, you nailed it. Star for you.

Peoples ignorance on WAR tend to always be off the numbers...because truth is, it boils down to the numbers.

Russia, along with a few other countries ONLY respond to force, which is so unfortunate.

We are a Global power, we have to ensure are interest are protected.
It's really that simple. Don't like it? do something about it.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Well said.

I couldn't agree more.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I just wanted to add, it is Bush's military. Not Obama's.

Obama just inherited it.

This doesn't make any sense at all.

He is preemptively saying war is not going to be an option, he is not giving Putin the ability to set the terms by defining them first.

This doesn't make any sense either.

I think I'll rather dedicate myself to more Eggnog... this is one of those weird threads.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join