It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Control in the UK: misconceptions, where do people get them?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Antigod

If there are few guns in the uk, how come a small town girl, with a hard working, honest family, has come across them as many times as i have?

The very first time, i was in a "family" type pub at lunch time, 21 years old and very naive, i asked one of the people i was with "what an earth has that bloke got in his sock?" I was quickly hushed up and shown. May have been the first time for me, but it wasn't the last.

I am not suggesting they are everywhere, but i do know they are really easy to get and more people carry them than you would think.

Given the laws we have here, if i come across one, you can be sure I will avoid that person like the plague in future.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: eccentriclady
a reply to: Antigod

If there are few guns in the uk, how come a small town girl, with a hard working, honest family, has come across them as many times as i have?

The very first time, i was in a "family" type pub at lunch time, 21 years old and very naive, i asked one of the people i was with "what an earth has that bloke got in his sock?" I was quickly hushed up and shown. May have been the first time for me, but it wasn't the last.

I am not suggesting they are everywhere, but i do know they are really easy to get and more people carry them than you would think.

Given the laws we have here, if i come across one, you can be sure I will avoid that person like the plague in future.

Wow, freakish. i'm in my forties and I've not seen any handgun (other than my families legally owned ones and sidearms in barracks) in all that time. Neither has anyone I've asked in person. And I lived in Hackney; riot central: for years. I know someone who does security checks at a tourist site in London, he's never seen one in all the years he's being doing pat downs.

Statistically, it was more likely to be a replica than a real gun in the guys sock. What kind of muppet has a gun in his sock?

How rough is the Solent area then?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
AWW look the smarmy brit thinks his ignorant statement makes him somehow superior to me cause he doesnt like my response, take your piers morgan mind set and get bent limey. How many times are your comments going to get removed because you cant formulate a proper argument without reverting to caps lock, insults and condescending speech?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: V22tech
AWW look the smarmy brit thinks his ignorant statement makes him somehow superior to me cause he doesnt like my response, take your piers morgan mind set and get bent limey. How many times are your comments going to get removed because you cant formulate a proper argument without reverting to caps lock, insults and condescending speech?

It would probably be helpful if you stated which 'limey' you meant here. There were quite a few posting on this thread.

Piers Morgan mindset? Is that where you post the gun crimes stats for the USA and UK and point out the difference?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Maybe in the USA

BUT DIFFRENT COUNTRY DIFFRENT VALUES!

As far as us brits are concerned you can take your red white a blue values and shove em.

lol, really? So you want to impose your ideals and views on others, who knew?...

I see what you are actually trying to shove on people...

BTW, in case you didn't know New York has very restricted laws on firearms similar to Chicago and they happen to be a couple of the most gun crime ridden states in the Union...

edit on 2-5-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

It's a bit pointless to restrict guns in only certain states when the rest have liberal laws and firearms are easily available. Any nutjob can just bring the gun in from another state and go on a rampage.

It's pointless talking to gun nuts though, it's like a religion to you guys.

Yet once again the crazy gun-grabbers grabbing at strawmen... First of all most of the guns involved in gang related crimes, which are most of the crimes, are illegal firearms bought through the black market... People like you don't seem to understand what being a CRIMINAL means... You still think they will abide by laws... Good luck to you...

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Well, this thread went about as I expected. Those of us who aren't American were simply trying to point out facts to refute a crazy argument and the Americans use insults and intimidation to answer back.

Why am I not surprised?

America needs to do one of two things: Either wake the hell up to itself or close yourselves off from the rest of the world entirely and stop poisoning us with your vile foreign policy and antiquated, backward views.

America has had its day. You failed. Time to let the rest of us fix what you lot messed up so badly.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Well, this thread went about as I expected. Those of us who aren't American were simply trying to point out facts to refute a crazy argument and the Americans use insults and intimidation to answer back.

Why am I not surprised?

America needs to do one of two things: Either wake the hell up to itself or close yourselves off from the rest of the world entirely and stop poisoning us with your vile foreign policy and antiquated, backward views.

America has had its day. You failed. Time to let the rest of us fix what you lot messed up so badly.

Really?... LOL you want to play the victim after having used derogatory comments and insults yourself to describe anyone who has a different opinion than you on firearms?...

You should be a stand up comedian.

It's a bit pointless to restrict guns in only certain states when the rest have liberal laws and firearms are easily available. Any nutjob can just bring the gun in from another state and go on a rampage.

It's pointless talking to gun nuts though, it's like a religion to you guys.

^^ Talk about using insults and derogatory comments huh?...

LOL, have to love the irony when gun grabbers want to force their ideals on the rest of the people, and btw, Americans are not the only ones who want to keep their right to own firearms... PLENTY of Britons, Australians, and people of other nationalities want to do the same thing... But people like you who think you are too high and mighty want to impose your draconian ideals and views on everyone else...

What's new huh?...

Here is an example of people in Britain who want to keep their right to own firearms, for whatever motive, be it hunting, shooters, or defense...

Listen what MANY BRITONS have to say about the issue, and stop trying to impose your draconian views and ideals on others...

edit on 2-5-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comments.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I think you are failing to realise I no longer care about your backward and ignorant opinion.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I think you are failing to realise I no longer care about your backward and ignorant opinion.

Yet more insults, hum, weren't you playing the victim?...

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Still trying?

LOL.

Thankyou for completely proving my point.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Still trying?

LOL.

Thankyou for completely proving my point.

You are welcome. I would love to see what you would have to say if someone else, and some legislation tried to impose on you a law you strongly disagree with...

BTW, this is a discussion forum, so I can post my opinion and respond as many times as I want... Or do you also want to control our thoughts?... It seems that you want to do that as well...

edit on 2-5-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Your video is from a Countryside Alliance march a few years ago. The people on it are untypical. Gun control is NOT a political issue here. Why would it be?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

BTW, this is a discussion forum,

No, really?

so I can post my opinion and respond as many times as I want...

As can I. I never tried to stop you posting your opinion, I only told you I don't care about it

Or do you also want to control our thoughts?... It seems that you want to do that as well...

From what I've read in this thread it is actually people like yourself doing the attempted "thought controlling" through the use of intimidation.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Your video is from a Countryside Alliance march a few years ago. The people on it are untypical. Gun control is NOT a political issue here. Why would it be?

Really? then you obviously haven't watched it... The protest was about many different issues with banning firearms and fox hunting as well, and several people spoke about their right to defend themselves. One Briton even explains that what they are protesting isn't really just about the banning of fox hunting, but the ability of EACH individual to choose for themselves... But of course people like you can't have people making their own choices, you want to choose for them and force your views and ideas...

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

From what I've read in this thread it is actually people like yourself doing the attempted "thought controlling" through the use of intimidation.

LOL, talk about twisting what people actually write... My statement was clearly about "each individual being able to CHOOSE for themselves" instead of having armchair general dictators wanting to dictate and force your views on others...
edit on 2-5-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

instead of having armchair general dictators wanting to dictate and force your views on others...

Thankyou, you just described the Americans comments and reactions in this thread perfectly.

Well done

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The majority of guns in the UK are actually conversions from non lethal pistols. This is why they are so inaccurate. You can fire straight and the bullet will fly out of the barrel to the left or the right. People do this as its easier to acquire an non lethal pistols such as BB guns or Air rifles etc... I'm not entirely sure on hows it done but i have seen the barrels get drilled out for a real bullet to go through but didn't really pay attention to the rest of the process.

Also if you know where to go you could quite easily get a real gun or conversion, Lads in the UK will happily give you a gun they may have used before, knowing that you will get the blame for any previous uses of that particular gun and free them from the responsibility. These are not the type of people you grass on..... but you would know that already if you knew them

Source: I was once a wannabe gangster....a very long time ago

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Really? then you obviously haven't watched it... The protest was about many different issues with banning firearms and fox hunting as well, and several people spoke about their right to defend themselves. One Briton even explains that what they are protesting isn't really just about the banning of fox hunting, but the ability of EACH individual to choose for themselves... But of course people like you can't have people making their own choices, you want to choose for them and force your views and ideas...

I have watched it and it's not new. And gun control still isn't a political issue over here.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

And yet, UK has much less gun crime than America, and a massively lower homicide rate.

What's the point of tight gun laws in one state when someone can just ship guns in from another virtually unchecked?

Please try to grasp, guns just aren't easily available to criminals here.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join