It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Control in the UK: misconceptions, where do people get them?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

tmeister182
reply to post by crazyewok

Just for the record I feel 100 percent safe in my home from both criminals and police. Smith+Wesson both give me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Cool good for you.

As I said that's the USA, what flys there doesn't fly in the UK.

Not when your more likely to be hit by lighting than shot here.

edit on 16-4-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

tmeister182

Just for the record I feel 100 percent safe in my home from both criminals and police. Smith+Wesson both give me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Just for the record I feel 100 percent safe in my home from both criminals and police. A Jethro Tull CD and a Terry Pratchett book both give me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Seriously, as noted above: we live in different countries and what's good for one ain't necessarily so for the other. We're different and that's it. It's a moot point who's right and who is better off. Though personally Jethro Tull trumps a gun every day.

And on that note ....

www.youtube.com...

edit on 16-4-2014 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

I lived near the Isle of Skye in '79. There's a newspaper there called The West Highland Free Press. If my memory is correct there was once mention in the Press of Ian Anderson applying for planning permission for a pistol range. To clarify this for the readers Ian Anderson is the man behind Jethro Tull.

This was long before the dreadful false flag school shooting at Dunblane which was carried out by unidentified traitors to excuse the pistol ban. This is the real info... www.amazon.co.uk... Sandra has been threatened and deserves our protection.
This is the psyop... www.dunblaneexposed.info...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Antigod

I keep seeing this over and over in threads, does the American media give people this idea? I keep seeing as a common concept that we have no civil rights because we don't have guns. Over and Over.

It's ridiculous, this over and over repetition of grossly inaccurate information. It's so widespread it seems reasonable to assume it's another spook led load of nonsense.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Let's say that in some alternate universe that gun control actually works....how would you implement that in America?

- Most people won't voluntarily give up their firearms. Look at CT and NY to see how those assault weapons bans are going.
- Confiscation won't work. Shovels are easy to get and use. Furthermore, the police would be absolutely terrified going door to door to try and confiscate weapons. Civil War II would be a reality.

So the cat is out of the bag so-to-speak. Gun control will NEVER happen here. They can try it but like the drug war it will be an utter and disastrous failure.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

wills120
Let's say that in some alternate universe that gun control actually works....

Works in the UK,

Gun deaths are rare here.

Doesn't mean it will work in the USA AS DIFFERENT COUNTRY DIFFERENT CULTURES! WHAT WORKS FOR YOU WONT NECESSARILY WORK FOR EVERYONE ELSE GET IT?

wills120
how would you implement that in America?

Don't think anyone on this thread is asking for it in the USA why? CAUSE THE THREAD IS ABOUT GUN CONTROL IN THE UK! Its not about the USA! Not everything is about the USA! GOD you people are so dammed self centered!

Talking to some Americans can be like talking to a five year old. They just cant grasp the concept that other country's are different or don't necessarily want certain USA values or ideas.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

crazyewok

wills120
Let's say that in some alternate universe that gun control actually works....

Works in the UK,

Gun deaths are rare here.

Doesn't mean it will work in the USA AS DIFFERENT COUNTRY DIFFERENT CULTURES! WHAT WORKS FOR YOU WONT NECESSARILY WORK FOR EVERYONE ELSE GET IT?

wills120
how would you implement that in America?

Don't think anyone on this thread is asking for it in the USA why? CAUSE THE THREAD IS ABOUT GUN CONTROL IN THE UK! Its not about the USA! Not everything is about the USA! GOD you people are so dammed self centered!

Talking to some Americans can be like talking to a five year old. They just cant grasp the concept that other country's are different or don't necessarily want certain USA values or ideas.

Jeez man, calm down. I'm responding to the previous comments criticizing American gun culture.

Sorry but when you're countrymen come in here and belittle our heritage and our country's laws then you're going to get an earful. I've made it very clear in most of my comments that we truly don't care what you think of our gun laws and frankly it's none of your concern. Perhaps you should remind your fellow countrymen to stick to the subject of the thread instead of going out of their way to criticize something they simply don't understand.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wills120

You know what I agree, us Brits should butt out, we got rid of you lot after 1783 so its not our concern what you do. Marry goats for all I care or elect a chimp as president (o wait forget you did that
).

Course ATS is a international site and like the USA we have free speech so we are going to have opinions, but your right, brits should not try and force what works here on you.

I respect guns are the USA "thing"

They are just not our "thing"

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Hehe, yes we do have a lot of work to do when it comes to picking our leaders.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Antigod
Didnt i read in the news a while back that some rabid muslim, walked up to a soldier and cut his head off? If i remember the people around kind of just cowered in fear and didnt do anything. Know what would have happened to that fool in Texas? He'd have been killed before he opened his mouth to that camera. You limeys preach about how "safe" your country is without guns, but your assault stats show a huge problem. I suggest reading this article: blog.skepticallibertarian.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

No, but you are more likely to be assaulted in the UK. Theoreticaly i can walk up to you, and beat you to death with a metal rod and you wont be able to defend yourself. Try that here on me and you die with a very large .45 hole. Before you engage in some twisted holier than thou crusade against US gun ownership, better be sure we cant point out you crime stats compared to ours.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by V22tech

This would seem to confirm your statement.

Briton is mugged or robbed every three minutes as UK street crime soars

www.express.co.uk...

The comments in after the article are particularly enlightening, i.e.

The streets of London and Birmingham along with ALL the big UK cities is simply not safe for decent law abiding people, The police have proven to be (A) untruthful about recording crime (B) Biased as they frequently report race crimes against whites as robbery or assault (C) Utterly incapable of protecting the public at large but remain adamant that the law abiding public must not be allowed to own tools designed for self defence (D) More interested in protecting the "establishment" than the community,(E) All to frequently corrupt, but mainly they are simply inept and politically correct.

edit on 17-4-2014 by whywhynot because: mi

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Antigod

When Americans, or Brits talk about the restrictions, and bans on firearms in the UK, we are referring to handguns. People shouldn't need to be hunting regularly to be able to own a firearm. It should be an "individual" choice.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Kryties

Americans tend to think the same about guns in Oz too. All I know is I feel a whole lot safer in the knowledge that anyone with a rifle or shotty in Australia has had to pass multiple checks and complete safety courses and that they are required to keep them in a gun safe when not in use.

Yes, there will always be the odd person who manages to get their hands on a firearm and cause some damage but nowhere NEAR as often as in the U.S.

So let me ask you this... If you believe that more and more regulations and controls on firearms "makes the world a safer place", how come for example in the UK crimes with handguns, not just any firearm but handguns, has increased since the ban on handguns?

A lot of people, like yourself, talk about the "problems in the U.S. with firearms", but guess what?... Most crimes involving firearms in the U.S. happens in states where firearms are either banned, or heavily restricted.

No matter how many restrictions, and bans of certain firearms are put in effect CRIMINALS will ALWAYS get their hands on firearms.

When restrictions or bans on firearms occur all you are doing is disarming and restricting the law abiding citizens.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

V22tech
reply to post by Antigod
Didnt i read in the news a while back that some rabid muslim, walked up to a soldier and cut his head off? If i remember the people around kind of just cowered in fear and didnt do anything. Know what would have happened to that fool in Texas? He'd have been killed before he opened his mouth to that camera. You limeys preach about how "safe" your country is without guns, but your assault stats show a huge problem. I suggest reading this article: blog.skepticallibertarian.com...

They ran him down with their car as he walked across the road then hacked at him with blunt tools. Some women walked over to attempt first aid and to comfort him as he died. They spoke face to face with the men as they held their bloodied weapons. Others interviewed the men on camera. One lady simply carried on past with her shopping. It wasn't exactly cowering in fear but I was surprised nobody put a half brick in a sock and clubbed them. When police arrived one of the men, who was exceptionally fit, charged the car and almost reached it before he was shot. One tried to fire a rusty revolver and according to eyewitnesses the gun exploded and blew his thumb off. Other versions say the police shot his thumb off.

Worth noticing in the video of the event is the way one of the men looked down at marks on the ground several times and adjusted his footing to fit as if he was hypnotised and thought he was performing on a stage or a film set. It's not impossible that the entire thing was a set-up. Coincidentally the regiment the victim was part of had inspired a military protest march on parliament a few months before.

edit on 17-4-2014 by Kester because: change word

edit on 17-4-2014 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

whywhynot
reply to post by V22tech

This would seem to confirm your statement.

Briton is mugged or robbed every three minutes as UK street crime soars

www.express.co.uk...

The comments in after the article are particularly enlightening, i.e.

The streets of London and Birmingham along with ALL the big UK cities is simply not safe for decent law abiding people, The police have proven to be (A) untruthful about recording crime (B) Biased as they frequently report race crimes against whites as robbery or assault (C) Utterly incapable of protecting the public at large but remain adamant that the law abiding public must not be allowed to own tools designed for self defence (D) More interested in protecting the "establishment" than the community,(E) All to frequently corrupt, but mainly they are simply inept and politically correct.

edit on 17-4-2014 by whywhynot because: mi

Then why is it none of us actualy Brits here see this type of Britain eh?

I my freinds nor my family have ever been a victim of crime, in fact the first time I was a victim of crime was in NY!

Hyped up BS twisted by the US gun brigade.

Maybe actualy try visting the UK one day and see whats its really like

Anyway our assualt rates are higher cause of the drinking issues we have, guns wont make that any better, just turn non fatal assualts into fatal ones.
edit on 17-4-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

ElectricUniverse. It should be an "individual" choice.

Maybe in the USA

BUT DIFFRENT COUNTRY DIFFRENT VALUES!

As far as us brits are concerned you can take your red white a blue values and shove em.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   

V22tech
reply to post by Antigod

Cowered in fear?

Your talking BS, we are not French.

Fact was the guy was run down in the back with a car. A mini gun wouldnt have stoped that.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   

ElectricUniverse

A lot of people, like yourself, talk about the "problems in the U.S. with firearms", but guess what?... Most crimes involving firearms in the U.S. happens in states where firearms are either banned, or heavily restricted.

It's a bit pointless to restrict guns in only certain states when the rest have liberal laws and firearms are easily available. Any nutjob can just bring the gun in from another state and go on a rampage.

It's pointless talking to gun nuts though, it's like a religion to you guys.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   

ElectricUniverse

So let me ask you this... If you believe that more and more regulations and controls on firearms "makes the world a safer place", how come for example in the UK crimes with handguns, not just any firearm but handguns, has increased since the ban on handguns?

Because owning a handgun is illegal, therefore anyone caught with one has committed a criminal offence, therefore the handgun crime on paper goes up, it's not rocket science.

What state in the US has a ban on firearms?

No matter how many restrictions, and bans of certain firearms are put in effect CRIMINALS will ALWAYS get their hands on firearms.

And in the UK, if the guns aren't (usually) used on other criminals, they are hidden away to avoid the lengthy jail sentence that comes with the territory.

When restrictions or bans on firearms occur all you are doing is disarming and restricting the law abiding citizens.

The law abiding citizens are entitled to a shotgun, and can apply for a firearms license.....the restrictions are really just on handguns. The truth is though, we just don't want the damn things.....can't be restricted if we don't want them in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join