It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone tell me how to make a pizza sauce from scatch

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by romilo

MEATBALLS

1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground veal.
(Or two lbs ground beef if pork is out of the question and veal is unavailable)
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/2 cup flavored breadcrumbs (colona is best)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1tsp each, basil, oregano, thyme, parsley ,rosemary. (dried herbs)
1 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper
One egg
Small amount of water.
Mix the herbs the cheese breadcrumbs and the egg then add the meat. You don't want to overwork the meat. Add water a little at a time to make moist but not soggy.
Form into 3 in balls or what ever size you like. Adjust cooking time for smaller meatballs.
Bake in a 350° oven for 15 -20 minutes . Or
Put raw meatballs in the sauce and simmer for about an hour. Alternately you can fry the meatballs in olive oiling but they tend to flatten out because people always want to press down on frying meat. If you hear a sizzle when you press down that precious moisture being squeezed out of the meat. If you can manage to let them be and just gently roll them around once in a while without pressing down on them this is a tasty way to cook them.
Some people want to add onion but I find onions have too much moisture and the meatballs tend to fall apart. However if you add onion and from into a loaf instead of balls this is a good meatloaf recipe too.
edit on AM000000300000000441502302014-04-13T09:02:36-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu30u0441504302014-04-13T09:04:14-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AM000000300000000441505302014-04-13T09:05:29-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
White pizza
1 pizza crust uncooked.
Alfredo sauce (jar is good but check ingredients. You want cheese and cream to be the main ingredients if it lists corn starch or food starch don't buy it)
1large clove garlic finely chopped
10oz package frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry of water.
1cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Olive oil.
Put a little olive oil on the crust. Bake the crust for ten minutes with only the oil on it. This step prevents the crust from getting soggy. Remove from oven . Spoon some Alfredo sauce on the crust.
Add the spinach the garlic salt and pepper. Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Bake at 450° till golden brown and cheese is bubbly.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by musicismagic

Has no one mentioned red wine yet?! A half a cup or so in your sauce, then cooked long enough for the alcohol to evaporate will really make it flavorful & awesome! And if it doesn't, just drink the rest of the bottle and it won't matter anymore.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Another note: often I use marjoram instead of oregano as its less bitter. I grow rosemary, basil and marjoram plus other herbs and if I use fresh I double the amount of herbs as fresh is not as intense in flavor as dried. Have fun. Bon appitito. Chao bella.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Astrithr

For pasta sauce yes. Not for pizza sauce. Thanks for the gourmet addition. Wine is always a good ingredient to add. Hint keep the bottle out and sample often as you cook. It's the real secret ingredient LOL

edit on AMu30u0441512302014-04-13T09:12:00-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Biigs
TBH the easiest way is to boil down a can of chopped tomato's and add whatevery you like to make it taste good, id go with garlic oregano a spice you like, some paprika and um..... oh basil (but add the basil in right at the end)

You simply empty the can into a saucepan and put it on the heat, not so much it spits and bubbles, leave it simmer for about 10 minutes and as the tomato parts break up add the other ingredients then stir it alot to help it break up and it will turn to a goop after about after 20 minutes.

And thats it!

You are done.

This method also works really well to make pasta sauces though you need to finely chop an onion and crush a few real garlic cloves in for that maybe a bell pepper or some chillis for a distinct flavor twist.
edit on b5555459 by Biigs because: (no reason given)
paprika will make the sauce taste too Spanish. Leave that out. Unless you want that Spanish taste then I'd go with chorizo sausage to complement the sauce and serve it over rice instead of pasta.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Not sure where you heard that rule, but I have to disagree with it....wine works great in pizza sauce too, and there are a lot of recipes that include it. Guess it's just a matter of taste, vive la différence!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Great tasting Pizza sauce and easy to make.

1 can (28 oz) Italian Coarse Ground Tomatoes
3 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I worked in a restaurant that served a German pizza....pizza crust cooked for a few minutes, ( no sauce) then add a layer sauerkraut( not to thick) , sprinkle with chopped cooked bacon, sprinkle with chop onion , top with mozzarella, sprinkle blk pepper and oregano on top ( not too much) and cook!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by romilo

MEATBALLS

1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground veal.
(Or two lbs ground beef if pork is out of the question and veal is unavailable)
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/2 cup flavored breadcrumbs (colona is best)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1tsp each, basil, oregano, thyme, parsley ,rosemary. (dried herbs)
1 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper
One egg
Small amount of water.
Mix the herbs the cheese breadcrumbs and the egg then add the meat. You don't want to overwork the meat. Add water a little at a time to make moist but not soggy.
Form into 3 in balls or what ever size you like. Adjust cooking time for smaller meatballs.
Bake in a 350° oven for 15 -20 minutes . Or
Put raw meatballs in the sauce and simmer for about an hour. Alternately you can fry the meatballs in olive oiling but they tend to flatten out because people always want to press down on frying meat. If you hear a sizzle when you press down that precious moisture being squeezed out of the meat. If you can manage to let them be and just gently roll them around once in a while without pressing down on them this is a tasty way to cook them.
Some people want to add onion but I find onions have too much moisture and the meatballs tend to fall apart. However if you add onion and from into a loaf instead of balls this is a good meatloaf recipe too.
edit on AM000000300000000441502302014-04-13T09:02:36-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu30u0441504302014-04-13T09:04:14-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AM000000300000000441505302014-04-13T09:05:29-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

OK now I'm drooling

It's only fair that I return the favour

From The bolt hole

Damn that sounds good

We've got slow cooked pig cheeks tonight, it's the first time we've tried them.

Dusted with salt pepper and flour, then browned.

Onions and leeks softened until brown and added to the cheeks

Then pour in 8.5 fluid ounces of dry cider, and 17 of chicken stock. Add to this 1 Tspoon of honey and dijon mustard.

Slow cook for a few hours and add apples about 20 mins before you want to eat.

Remove the meat and reduce the sauce. Whilst reducing ad fromage frais to taste and season to taste as well

I'll let you know how it goes

Served with roasted vegetables and sautéed potatoes.

I love it when the wife is off school

And garlic is a gift from God

The meatball recipe is on page44

Cody

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Trueman

musicismagic
Hey guys thanks. I use a Japanese spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper, but it comes out terrible.

Fukupizza.

I often wonder while I eat it, is it "Fukupizza", maybe that is why it is lifeless

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

cody599

Firstly welcome to ATS

This is the recipe I use.

1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped

½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped

1 heaped teaspoon chopped fresh basil

8 oz (225 g) fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped

freshly milled black pepper and salt to taste.

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, then add the garlic and chilli and cook briefly until the garlic is pale gold. Then add all the other sauce ingredients, stir and season with a little salt and pepper.

Nom nom nom

RichAwake you're just down the road from me

Cody

Hi Cody and thanks for the welcome to this site. People here have mentioned wine, should I add some wine to your recipe?
One thing we can get here are Italian tomatoes in the can for under a buck and they seem to be very tasty.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Interesting subject. This is one culinary aspect where everyone has an opinion.

I own a restaurant and worked in the pizza industry for many years. There have been plenty of days I started out making 10 to 20 gallons of pizza sauce. As far as sauce goes in the U.S. I highly recommend recommend canned italian San marzano tomatoes.

Always use canned tomatoes. And never ever cook your pizza sauce before putting it on a pizza. This is a big mistake people make at home when making pizza sauce. Cooked pizza sauce is marinara, two different things.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

RammerJammer
Interesting subject. This is one culinary aspect where everyone has an opinion.

I own a restaurant and worked in the pizza industry for many years. There have been plenty of days I started out making 10 to 20 gallons of pizza sauce. As far as sauce goes in the U.S. I highly recommend recommend canned italian San marzano tomatoes.

Always use canned tomatoes. And never ever cook your pizza sauce before putting it on a pizza. This is a big mistake people make at home when making pizza sauce. Cooked pizza sauce is marinara, two different things.

Have to agree with you on the can Italian tomatoes. Not sure what brand we buy here because the stores changes stuff by the week. I didn't know that about the sauce.

The restaurant business is a tough business to be in I would think.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RammerJammer

Yes. What he said. Get some whole unpeeled tomatoes and put them in the food processor.Voila, pizza sauce, uncooked. All those recipes above are marinara.

White pizza does not involve alfredo, unless you want to yak. White pizza is olive oil and garlic, cheese and toppings.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well you can go for a simple tomato passata which is basically concentrated pureed tomatoes, and then sprinkle your choice of toppings on top.
Or you can make your own, either using fresh chopped tomatoes or canned.

Normally, for the base of any kind of tomato sauce (for pizza or pasta) I use good quality canned tomatoes plus a litte bit of the concentrated passata to make the whole more homogeneous:
I fry a very thinly sliced half an onion and an equally thinly sliced garlic clove in olive oil until the onion is almost dissolving, and then, lower the heat to medium, and add the tomato (both the canned and the concentrated) and a pinch of salt and pepper. That's the base.
(after a few minutes on medium heat I taste it, sometimes the tomato can still taste acidic and if so I add just a pinch or two of sugar and/or salt)
Stir and cook always on a low to medium heat, until the tomato is nice and creamy and to your taste.
I almost always add a few drops of hot pepper sauce because I like the extra kick, but thats up to you.
After that it's really whatever I got on the fridge, lol,
You can never go wrong with sliced italian mozzarella, fresh basil, maybe a few sliced mushrooms and a bit of prosciutto crudo (italian ham), to keep it simple.

But one of my favorites is mixed seafood, like small shrimps, mussels, squid rings, yum!

Very important, make sure you preheat the oven for at least a good 7 to 10 min, on a high heat, before you put the pizza in, it makes a whole lot of difference on the final result!

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Thanks sweety. Nothing better than slow cooked pork. I'll do a 7 lb shoulder in the oven at 225° for 12 hours. Walks onto your plate.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrithr

There are no rules in cooking ! Sure you can put wine in if you like. It's your sauce. I was just thinking that the nuance that wine gives tomato sauce was too sophisticated for pizza which I think of as rustic. However a sauce with wine on a pizza with baby bellas, asiago and mozzerrella cheese just may raise it to a whole new level. MmmmmmMmmmmm.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

musicismagic

cody599

Firstly welcome to ATS

This is the recipe I use.

1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped

½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped

1 heaped teaspoon chopped fresh basil

8 oz (225 g) fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped

freshly milled black pepper and salt to taste.

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, then add the garlic and chilli and cook briefly until the garlic is pale gold. Then add all the other sauce ingredients, stir and season with a little salt and pepper.

Nom nom nom

RichAwake you're just down the road from me

Cody

Hi Cody and thanks for the welcome to this site. People here have mentioned wine, should I add some wine to your recipe?
One thing we can get here are Italian tomatoes in the can for under a buck and they seem to be very tasty.

Yeah why not

Mine is just a base recipe, add to it whatever you wish, personally I probably wouldn't normally, but I'm no chef, and be assured I'm going to give it a go.

Get over to the avatar creations thread LINKY and tell us what you'd like as an avatar, we're screaming for ideas to play with.

Cody

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

cody599

AutumnWitch657

cody599

AutumnWitch657
The Italian girl chiming in here.
1 16oz can tomatoes sauce
1 small can tomatoes paste
2 Tbls chopped garlic
2 tps dried basil
2 tps dried oragano
1Tbs sugar
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Olive oil

In a 2 quart sauce pan lightly brown the garlic in some olive oil. Add the canned tomatoes products. Using the small tomatoes paste can add three cans water. Add the dried herbs the sugar and the cheese. Bring up to a good simmer (don't boil) stirring the sauce. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and let simmer for an hour or longer. You want the sauce to get very thick. Stir every so often so that the sauce does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
My grandmoters recipe and she was born in Napals Italy.
No need to start with fresh tomatoes unless you grow your own. The hot house tomatoes don't have the flavor you need for a good sauce. If you grow your own plum tomatoes you'll need about 20 tomatoes to make the sauce and you will have to peel and seed the tomatoes.
To easily peel tomatoes. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil . Add the tomatoes and let them boil for no longer than a minute and a half. Let the tomatoes cool and then peel. The skin will slide right off. Remove the seeds and the jelly like substance that surrounds them leaving only the flesh of the tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes and proceed as above. You will have to simmer this sauce for three hours to make a pizza sauce. Easier to start with good canned tomatoes. Look for an Italian brand.
This is also the sauce I use for pasta.
edit on AM000000300000000441534302014-04-13T07:34:46-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu30u0441537302014-04-13T07:37:01-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

I bow to a greater knowledge

I'll print that off if you don't mind it sounds delicious

Cody

LOL. I was at the stove cooking when I had to stand on a chair to do it. My mom had me chopping as soon as I could handle a knife.(with supervision)
Enjoy. Want my recipe for meatballs?

Absolutely

You can never have enough recipes in your life, I remember being awake at stupid o'clock as a kid helping (or so I thought) my grand mum make pastry on a marble slab (her prized possession).............. outside.

"The colder the better for making pastry Cody, the hotter the better for later"

Thanks for the memory I've got a smile on my face as wide as a glacier's path

Cody

Pass those stove side traditions on and keep them alive. I have three boys and they all cook. One is planning on going to culinary school. He's taken culinary arts his last three years in high school.

Your grandma is right about pastry dough. Colder is better. Outside! I never thought of that!
When making bread it's the opposite. Warmer is better.
Baking unlike cooking does have rules. Make a mistake here and it could be bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join