It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent Crime Reduced by Guns? Maybe not.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

WhatTheory

benrl

MY right to a gun, has nothing to do with me protecting myself from crime.

Its soul purpose as a right, is to protect me from the tyranny of those in power.

Enough said!!

I have a feeling we maybe witnessing the reason the 2nd is so important, right now, in Nevada.

Its not criminal Citizens you should fear.

Its Criminals in Government with a monopoly of force.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

benrl
I have a feeling we maybe witnessing the reason the 2nd is so important, right now, in Nevada.

I hope you are wrong but it's not looking good. If bullets start flying, I truly hope the opposition is armed to the teeth.

Makes me wonder about the article regarding the Army ordering the National Guard to return all Apache helicopters. What are these bastards up to?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

So true.

We are all told which part of the snake to cut off when in danger.

As usual your making sense.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

uh.....your table seems to show the exact opposite of what you are trying to sell us....

look at DC....the most gun restrictions in the country...

Yea....im seeing the exact same thing. DC is the most violent.

Kentucky (extremely pro gun) is low at 40.

Maine (very pro gun, and is ranked the safest state in the country in that list) is last at 50.

Mississippi (very pro gun) is at 31.

Montana is at 41.

New Hampshire is 47.

Vermont (perhaps one of the most pro-gun states) is 48.

edit on 12-4-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

CB328

Its not gun "ownership" as you put it that "reduces crime". Its gun carrying that does

Right, so that's why so many of the worst states for violent crime are all conservative?? And how do you explain states that don't have as many gun people but have less crime? (like my state of Washington). It's obvious from the data that crowding, inner-city populations or having a lot of conservatives are the main causes of violent crime.

LOL!!! How is Washington not a gun state.....you must be in the Seattle area.....get outside that city.....everyone has guns.

Now I see why the entire rest of the state wants to break off and join north Idaho

ps.....Washington is about half way down the list.....so not sure what your point is here anyway
edit on 12-4-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Even if guns were forcibly taken from the citizens of the USA people who wanted to commit murder with them (which is probably a very very low number indeed) would find another method of killing eg poison, clubbing, crossbow etc. Having learned data base some years ago, I know how easy it is to manipulate statistics - simply ask the wrong questions or put in a statistic that negates information in your survey - simples.

Surely most carry guns as a means of defence or for hunting/sport and probably, except at a range never fire them.

It just seems that USA Presidents and the elite are getting more and more freaked as the number of people explode and outnumber the socalled law's legal beavers - so perhaps in a straight fight sheer numbers would prevail. I know the reasoning behind the gun's freedom in the USA but in today's world where politicians are merely businessmen who sit in the political world doing 'whatever' purely to forward the promotion and interests of projects they have their family fortunes in. They know that the Internet has opened up their shady lives to the public and are expecting ramifications - an example is Tamiflue which the UK Gov rushed in, in its billion-odd doses which we suspect are now useless or even possibly dangerous. Cons worldwide use to get laid more of the door literally of USA citizens en-masse, when the USA had the highest standard of living in the world, rather than the rightful perverse leaches that promote their ends through politics. Hyperthetically someone with a gun who has lost a loved one can now find the individuals who are the real cause of their loss and a long distance rifle or gun is a means of 'common justice' it means that the elite will sooner or later either have to live in a bubble or risk retribution for their greediness - hence gun paranoia. I don't count the people shot by accident or the police policy of shoot first ask later if at all which isn't just the USA as many other countries allow guns.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Its a double edged sword though.

While guns do in fact reduce certain crimes, them being available also escalates otherwise minor crimes quite drastically.

I think its fine in the UK when we banned guns, because there wernt that many out there anyway, so it was pretty easy. I can tell you now i do not fear being shot by anyone in the UK at all.

Now in the states, you guys have been swimming in guns, since.... well since forever. Banning them now would be practically impossible and also goes against the 2nd. Control is the key, but how? That is a answer i dont have lol

If i lived in the states, id buy a gun, damned bloody right. If theres nutters doing armed home invasions, i want to go down shooting thanks.

Last time i was there, which was about 6 months ago, i was nervous around the cops since i dont know every states laws at all, so i was actually feeling pretty edgy that id do somthing wrong, not comply properly or somthing and get tased and or shot by them. Now i was lucky enough not to go into any bad parts of LA so i cant really say, but my buddy who is an ex marine and is now a bodguard said we could drive through bits but he aint stopping for nothing! (he has a license to conceal carry but he never carry's it while not at work, he simply avoids dodgy areas)

So yes guns are good if every else has guns.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
It's ok OP, the gun nut's are more likely to offer up their own solution to the problem anyway.

Guns and suicide: A fatal link

In the United States, suicides outnumber homicides almost two to one. Perhaps the real tragedy behind suicide deaths—about 30,000 a year, one for every 45 attempts—is that so many could be prevented. Research shows that whether attempters live or die depends in large part on the ready availability of highly lethal means, especially firearms.

A study by the Harvard School of Public Health of all 50 U.S. states reveals a powerful link between rates of firearm ownership and suicides. Based on a survey of American households conducted in 2002, HSPH Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management Matthew Miller, Research Associate Deborah Azrael, and colleagues at the School’s Injury Control Research Center (ICRC), found that in states where guns were prevalent—as in Wyoming, where 63 percent of households reported owning guns—rates of suicide were higher. The inverse was also true: where gun ownership was less common, suicide rates were also lower.

It's a problem that corrects itself.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that there are certain types of violent crime that it reduces (home invasion, burglary) but that there are probably some type of violent crime that it increases or escalates (domestic violence, road rage). Probably kind of a wash. A lot more analysis would need to be done to determine the reality (definition of violence, registered vs non-registered, accidental vs non-accidental, all that).
edit on 4/12/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I am pro gun....pro concealed carry...pro 2nd amendment but

In no way shape or form will it reduce violent crime...the same argument people say "people kill people..not guns"...works with violent crime....violent people commit violent crimes...with whatever weapon they can find. These people are opportunistic/impulsive and the last thing they are thinking about is if someone has a gun or not.

The fact of gun ownership boils down to if the government ever needs to be overthrown we have to have weapons that can do it. That is why the 2nd amendment exists.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

so from your own research you've tacitly admitted in the first paragraph of your OP that guns don't have anything to do with crime rates and aren't to blame. Cool. Already like where your thread is going.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

HauntWok
It's ok OP, the gun nut's are more likely to offer up their own solution to the problem anyway.

Guns and suicide: A fatal link

In the United States, suicides outnumber homicides almost two to one. Perhaps the real tragedy behind suicide deaths—about 30,000 a year, one for every 45 attempts—is that so many could be prevented. Research shows that whether attempters live or die depends in large part on the ready availability of highly lethal means, especially firearms.

A study by the Harvard School of Public Health of all 50 U.S. states reveals a powerful link between rates of firearm ownership and suicides. Based on a survey of American households conducted in 2002, HSPH Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management Matthew Miller, Research Associate Deborah Azrael, and colleagues at the School’s Injury Control Research Center (ICRC), found that in states where guns were prevalent—as in Wyoming, where 63 percent of households reported owning guns—rates of suicide were higher. The inverse was also true: where gun ownership was less common, suicide rates were also lower.

It's a problem that corrects itself.

I'd like to show you one of the reason we keep our weapons.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

WhatTheory

benrl

I hope you are wrong but it's not looking good. If bullets start flying, I truly hope the opposition is armed to the teeth.

Makes me wonder about the article regarding the Army ordering the National Guard to return all Apache helicopters. What are these bastards up to?

I hope it doesn't break that way, either, but if it does, I am one of those who is prepared. I may not necessarily jump in my vehicle and go looking for a confrontation, but if it comes to my doorstep, there will be trouble.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join