It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed Up With Michelle Obama’s School Lunch Overhaul

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

whywhynot

DJW001

whywhynot
reply to post by DJW001

So you can't defend you statement and now you say that it doesn't really matter. Typical and very boring. Good luck with your life.

What is there to defend? It is up to local government to determine how to apply the federal program. Some local governments opt out. That does not make it a failure. What is your problem with that?

Memory lapse? You said

If the cafeteria at your school is serving crud, it has nothing to do with Michelle Obama

And I "schooled" you on how it was Michelle Obama. But nice job of changing subjects and thanks for playing.

Your selective comprehension amazes me. Here is what Michelle had in mind:

science.kqed.org...

It is not her fault if local governments try to save money by not hiring a nutritionist for their school program.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

It is not her fault if local governments try to save money by not hiring a nutritionist for their school program.

And who is paying for this nutritionist? The last thing they need in public schools is another body soaking up another paycheck at the taxpayer's expense. The hopey-changey dream is never realized. You merely wind up with another employee who has a new set of union demands.

Bottom Line: School lunches were fine before the government got involved.

Let's talk about Common Core next. -chuckle-

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Or you could.. Ya know... Pack your kids lunches for them, ensuring they have the right kinda choices in front of them? So they aren't even tempted by the horrid school lunches?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

ScarletNyx
Or you could.. Ya know... Pack your kids lunches for them, ensuring they have the right kinda choices in front of them? So they aren't even tempted by the horrid school lunches?

I guess you haven't heard about the lunchroom police ... the lunch moms who go table to table and throw out anything that they don't think fits the lunch program. A few months back someone got their peanut butter and jelly sandwich tossed out because it was supposedly 'racist'.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Lunch at school in Japan .... Compare that with the pictures in the OP for the American kids ...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Snarl

Bottom Line: School lunches were fine before the government got involved.

Surely you jest, with all the trans fats in the meals?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

And don't even make me start asking what Michelle's mom is doing in permanent residence at the White House. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I would bet she has most of the servants, er,, staff, in tears, and is also demanding to be allowed to redecorate every room in the most expensive fashions available and befitting their very upper class selves.
The secret service people probably come running when they hear the commotion, thinking the place is under attack.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

LOL ... I'm glad someone sees it isn't serious all the time. It IS possible to make a point without being flat-out nasty or no fun at all.

Thanks AC,
-Cheers!!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

DJW001

whywhynot

DJW001

whywhynot
reply to post by DJW001

So you can't defend you statement and now you say that it doesn't really matter. Typical and very boring. Good luck with your life.

What is there to defend? It is up to local government to determine how to apply the federal program. Some local governments opt out. That does not make it a failure. What is your problem with that?

Memory lapse? You said

If the cafeteria at your school is serving crud, it has nothing to do with Michelle Obama

And I "schooled" you on how it was Michelle Obama. But nice job of changing subjects and thanks for playing.

Your selective comprehension amazes me. Here is what Michelle had in mind:

science.kqed.org...

Your citation was not what was passed and supported by her so it is irrelevant. I understand that you want to change the subject, you cannot support your silly statement. Grape or cherry flavored?

A million kids go hungry and you don't care or choose to blame others. It was the Obama administration that did this and as usual mucked it up.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

So instead of local propaganda, schools should get theirs from the NWO?
Seriously though, academia should be facts, and it should also be methods that are known to work that actually prepare kids for life, not turn them into slaving sheep with a twisted view of history. American academia is a joke.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Whatever happened to packing lunches? We really shouldn't be depending on schools and government to feed our own kids. The food in those pictures look like something that came out a dog's rear end. I wouldn't even feed that to my dog.

edit on 7-4-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
If kids have a problem with the food they are being served then they should make their own lunches.

In my high school, in B.C, Canada, we had an amazing cafeteria. You could get burgers, fries, chicken burgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, veggie plate, wraps made to order, soup & then there was usually a main course offered that was always different, sometimes pulled pork sandwiches, sometimes lasagna. The food tasted great & was affordable. After I graduated, the school started to offer healthier foods but it was still nice size portions and yummy food.

I agree that there should be healthier foods available but it should still have proper portion sizes & not look like plastic. I wish there was more money available so the schools could offer better foods but sadly the U.S doesn't care about what the people eat, *cough monsanto cough cough*

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

ScarletNyx

This is, of course, assuming your kids go to a district that allows them to bring lunch from home. There are districts in Chicago that ban that, now. And there are schools in one of the Carolinas that have had FDA inspectors there to police the lunch. If you fail to provide the right stuff, the whole lunch is chucked and your kid is fed the crap the school provides and you get billed anyway.

Oh, but hey, good luck with sending lunch with your kids!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

knoledgeispower
If kids have a problem with the food they are being served then they should make their own lunches.

In my high school, in B.C, Canada, we had an amazing cafeteria. You could get burgers, fries, chicken burgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, veggie plate, wraps made to order, soup & then there was usually a main course offered that was always different, sometimes pulled pork sandwiches, sometimes lasagna. The food tasted great & was affordable. After I graduated, the school started to offer healthier foods but it was still nice size portions and yummy food.

I agree that there should be healthier foods available but it should still have proper portion sizes & not look like plastic. I wish there was more money available so the schools could offer better foods but sadly the U.S doesn't care about what the people eat, *cough monsanto cough cough*

The money isn't the problem. The budgeting is.

There is more than enough money poured into our education each year to provide really good food to kids. The problem is that, top to bottom, the money is squandered on administrative bodies and other wasteful expenses so that by the time it gets to the kids, there's only something like $1.50 to $2.50/meal left over for food.

We actually spend an average of between $15,000 to $25,000 per kid per district on education. So you can see what kind of a travesty it is that so much is diverted into the pockets of officials and bureaucrats.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

DJW001

Snarl
reply to post by DJW001

I can tell you what they will say: they don't have enough money to provide food that is both healthy and appetizing.
And I'm sure her supporters would 'eat that right up' too.

Seems to me we didn't have problems like this when I was growing up. I don't remember this being a problem for my own kids either.

So ... why now all of a sudden? MO stuck her nose in ... didn't she?

Really? Where did you and your kids go to school that you were treated to fine dining? I went to an excellent high school in an affluent neighborhood and the cafeteria was infamous for adding soybean to the hamburgers and using ordinary ketchup as "tomato sauce" on pizza and spaghetti. (Remember when Congress considered ketchup a vegetable?)

These days, they categorize french fries as vegetables too, after all they are made of potatoes.

The Obamas passed legislation used to restrict the amount of calories that schools could provide to students. This was meant to solve the obesity problem in the inner-city schools. But to apply that only to those schools would be "racist", so they are applied to all schools. Given the limits on the amount of calories they are allowing students, those meals are all the schools can legally provide - pre-packaged food with known calorie counts.

It's not possible to bring in packed lunches as there will be inspectors to make sure that no student is bringing in a packed lunch with a calorie count higher that the government legislation as that would break federal law.

edit on 7-4-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Square thing is a cheese slice I think. ....Something had to be done about school lunches!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

More processed cheese food product.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

eh; being indoctrinated by a national or international-level organization is probably better than being indoctrinated by a local organization.

Mostly due to the amount of compromise that has to be made with a national level organization prevents massive deviations from reality.

In addition, being indoctrinated nationally makes it easier to move up the ladder (of course you won't end up at the top, just some part of the middle) as you will have more in common, such as similar beliefs or opinions, with others.

Being indocrtrinated locally can make you an outcast if you move out of town, and to a place where there are higher standards and different ideologies, that may/may not have more justification.
edit on 7-4-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by soficrow

More processed cheese food product.

Something had to give. Notice that it was the smallest sized component of the three? I guess that was the determining factor in the selection process.

Is it true that school officials are inspecting lunches brought from home? What agency has the right to inspect a kids food for nutritional content? How far can we allow this to go before we simply say, "Enough!!"

Now, a day or so ago, I read that common core was rejected by an entire state. I'd be almost willing to bet the same can be done about MO's school lunch program. Somebody better get started before the government has the great idea to use an anal probe on your kid to see what he's been eating at home.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stormcell

The Obamas passed legislation used to restrict the amount of calories that schools could provide to students. This was meant to solve the obesity problem in the inner-city schools. But to apply that only to those schools would be "racist", so they are applied to all schools. Given the limits on the amount of calories they are allowing students, those meals are all the schools can legally provide - pre-packaged food with known calorie counts.

So you are saying that Barak and Michelle Obama were the only ones who "passed" this "legislation?" Would you please explain exactly how two people came to pass this legislation?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join