It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discrimination now Legal In Mississippi

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

doubletap
reply to post by Gryphon66

They could always take their little hurt feelings to another bakery like a mature adult would do.

Instead , they choose to whine and sue.

The baker could always stop being a cry baby bitch about what other people do in their own personal lives and DO HER JOB LIKE A MATURE ADULT WOULD DO.

Instead, they choose create legislation making it legal to discriminate against whomever they choose, reverse the civil rights of others and just basically make it legally ok to be massive pricks to others and deny certain people of the freedom to do business like any other individual.
edit on 4-4-2014 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

A business owner has the right to refuse service. Evidently that concept is lost on you.

There is no right to force someone to do business with you. Baked goods are not a civil right.
edit on 4-4-2014 by doubletap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

doubletap
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I despise religion and this bill protects the rights of business owners. You seem to think they shouldn't have rights.

Why is that? Childish ignorance, or no respect for rights for people who have opinions you don't like?

So business owner's have a right to refuse service to people based on their gender, race or sexual orientation?

Yes, clearly im the ignorant one with a few loose screws

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Unconstitutional laws make business owners come up with other reasons to deny service or employment to the ridiculous notion of "protected classes".

Government has no authority to dictate who businesses must serve.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Benevolent Heretic

I would be really careful about that, because if another person enters your establishment and you sell to them, you've got a possible lawsuit on your hands.

People are going to find ways to circumvent. Under the veneer of friendliness the same attitudes will persist. You can outlaw actions and behaviors, but you can't outlaw a mindset.

I've seen this veneer of "tolerance" many times. The person behind the counter will smile and be nice, and as soon as "they" leave the shop, they`ll say what the really feel about _______________ (insert derogatory word for discriminated-against group).
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Bone75

Gryphon66

Bone75

No, the a**hole is the gay person who turns to their mate and says "Let's go make that Christian bake us a wedding cake." or "Let's go make that Christian take our wedding photos."

IN this scenario, did the gay folk poll bakers just to find out which ones were Christian?

Yep, sounds reasonable. (Not.)

More reasonable than thinking a business owner is going to start polling customers to find out which ones are sinners, especially in small towns where everyone knows each other.
edit on b20144America/Chicago75 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

So taking wedding photo's of a gay couple now infringes on your religious freedom to? Hahaha! You couldnt make stuff up!

Gay people exist. You have to live in same society as them. You may well have to do business with them. Grow a pair and stop whining for god's sake!

Why should your religion enable you to discriminate against people in the business world?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

doubletap
reply to post by mOjOm

A business owner has the right to refuse service. Evidently that concept is lost on you.

There is no right to force someone to do business with you. Baked goods are not a civil right.

This again. No, it's not lost on me. How could it be when you keep using that as your excuse??? Which I've tried repeatedly to point out isn't just cut and dry like you think it is. Let me explain once again to be clear:

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin." The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.

In cases in which the patron is not a member of a federally protected class, the question generally turns on whether the business's refusal of service was arbitrary, or whether the business had a specific interest in refusing service.

Like many issues involving constitutional law, the law against discrimination in public accommodations is in a constant state of change. Some argue that anti-discrimination laws in matters of public accommodations create a conflict between the ideal of equality and individual rights. Does the guaranteed right to public access mean the business owner's private right to exclude is violated? For the most part, courts have decided that the constitutional interest in providing equal access to public accommodations outweighs the individual liberties involved.

edit on 4-4-2014 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Business owners still maintain property rights and the freedom of association. They are free to associate or in this case, not associate with whoever they want for whatever reason they choose.

Gay bakers can deny service to anyone wearing a cross if they choose to.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

doubletap
reply to post by mOjOm

Okay, so by your logic, i refuse to bake a cake for an interracial couple cuz my religion just isnt cool with that. If the state allows my action's then we might aswell just start public executions of criminal's again because our society is oh-so-moral and respectful of people's beliefs.

Religious people make me so mad, your not happy until everyone is as miserable and constricted in your stupid little club called "Christianity" Freedom of religion is one thing, freedom to try and turn back time on the rights of women, black's and homosexual's is not something afforded to you. Stop trying to turn society backwards.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

Yes and courts have also ruled slavery was legal, segregation was OK, and government could take private property and give it to someone else if it resulted in higher tax revenue. The constitution isn't open to interpretation based upon the political ideaologies of jackasses in black robes.

All their little ridiculous court findings do is make business owners come up with more subtle ways to discriminate and there is nothing the courts can do about it

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

doubletap

Business owners still maintain property rights and the freedom of association. They are free to associate or in this case, not associate with whoever they want for whatever reason they choose.

You didnt answer my question. Do business owner's maintain the right to refuse service to people based on gender, race or sexual orientation?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Absolutely. Its your business and you are free to turn down revenue and run your business in a stupid manner, because its your property, your capital, and your risk.

It would also open up an opportunity for someone to open a competing bakery that specializes in cakes for gay weddings and interracial couples.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

reply to post by doubletap

doubletap

You are simply ignorant of the law. What you say here is not true.

When a business owner starts a business, he enters into a contract with the state. In that contract, it stipulates that he cannot discriminate against protected groups, religion being one of those groups. So, you are mistaken in thinking this.
edit on 4/4/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Yes, they maintain that right. Government has passed unconstitutional laws opening business owners up to liability if they deny a laughable protected class, so other methods are used.

Black person wants a job? Sorry, position was just filled.

Want a cake for a gay wedding? Sorry, too many orders , your gay cake wouldn't be done on time.

There are always ways around unconstitutional laws

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Really? I own two businesses and never signed or implied consent on any contract.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

doubletap
reply to post by mOjOm

All their little ridiculous court findings do is make business owners come up with more subtle ways to discriminate and there is nothing the courts can do about it

Ok then. So what's with the push to enact legislation allowing you to discriminate then??? If you can already do it in more subtle ways then you don't need this new law do you??? Especially not when it's authority comes from a bunch of jackasses in black robes, right???

Oh wait I see, it's the "subtle" part that you don't like when it comes to discrimination. You want to be openly and without restriction to use Business and Commerce within the beloved free market to discriminate against certain people, right???

Because already being able to discriminate against them in subtle and sneaky ways wasn't good enough for ya huh.....

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

doubletap

Absolutely. Its your business and you are free to turn down revenue and run your business in a stupid manner, because its your property, your capital, and your risk.

Amazing how some people proudly call themselves american yet have very little grasp of what the purpose of the constitution actually is.

It would also open up an opportunity for someone to open a competing bakery that specializes in cakes for gay weddings and interracial couples.

So now we have to open up competing bakeries while openly enabling discrimination?

This is just stupidity. You religious folk are just plain stupid.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

doubletap

Yes, they maintain that right. Government has passed unconstitutional laws opening business owners up to liability if they deny a laughable protected class, so other methods are used.

Black person wants a job? Sorry, position was just filled.

Want a cake for a gay wedding? Sorry, too many orders , your gay cake wouldn't be done on time.

There are always ways around unconstitutional laws

Fair enough, but the faster your kind of ignorance dies off in the human race the better. One day mankind will look back on these day's and laugh at your feeble attempts to drag a 1st world country back into the social sh!tter.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Bone75

Gryphon66

Bone75

No, the a**hole is the gay person who turns to their mate and says "Let's go make that Christian bake us a wedding cake." or "Let's go make that Christian take our wedding photos."

IN this scenario, did the gay folk poll bakers just to find out which ones were Christian?

Yep, sounds reasonable. (Not.)

More reasonable than thinking a business owner is going to start polling customers to find out which ones are sinners, especially in small towns where everyone knows each other.
edit on b20144America/Chicago75 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

You know I heard there is a religion out there that says all mankind are sinners they were even born that way except for one dude. Now if someone of that faith were to have a business and deny service to everyone who was a sinner then who the hell would they sell to. That's a messed up business model they couldn't even sell to themselves.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Evidently reading comprehension isn't your speciality....look up a few posts and you will see me say I despise religion. I am not a "religious folk". I support the rights of the business owner to run their business in the way they see fit.

Specifically, what is my kind of ignorance? Ignorant in thinking that I should be able to run my business the way I want? That I should have a choice in who I do business with?

Why don't you educate me on the constitution since you seem to think I know nothing about it and you're the expert.

I'll be waiting sweetie.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join