It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there intelligence without wisdom?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I have a very simple question that i think is easy for you to understand.

wis·dom
ˈwizdəm/
noun
noun: wisdom

the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise.

in·tel·li·gence
inˈtelijəns/
noun
noun: intelligence

the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Stephen hawking seems like a perfect example of intelligence without wisdom. To me at least...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 3u40r15m

How can you consider your intelligent if you dont have any wisdom?

Its not really that intelligent, it lacks a lot of insight, logic.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
When you can have a kid who was smart enough to skip a grade get lost heading north of town, wind up south of town on a dirt road, sitting out in the sun for three hours reading a book, waiting for the mud he just drove through to dry off so he can continue driving and still wonder about the answer to this ... you can come back and ask me that question again.

In other words, intelligence is knowing that tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing better than to slice it on your morning breakfast cereal.

Or intelligence is knowledge without application.
edit on 20-3-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

But they are both knowing right?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I have met many very intelligent people that were extremely book smart however they were not wise enough to know what to do with it.

I think experience is key to wisdom.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

They are both variations of "knowing"? They both imply knowledge of one form or another.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
My girlfriend asks me if she looks fat in those jeans

My intelligence notes that she is wearing 2 sizes to small, therefore she would appear fat along the edges, giving her a soft look

I am wise enough to simply state "no dear, you look great"

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Babies....... Prime example

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Yes, you can have someone who is intelligent but not wise, and you can have someone that is wise but not intelligent. They are two entirely different traits. Some of the smartest people on the planet lack wisdom, especially social, business, or street smarts (streetwise). Someone that comes to mind instantly would be Tesla, he was extremely intelligent but not very wise. His lack of wisdom is what caused him to fail as a businessman.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It could be said that wisdom is knowing just how unwise you are.
edit on 20-3-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

onequestion

wis·dom
ˈwizdəm/
noun
noun: wisdom

the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise.

Having Experience and Knowledge and Good Judgment. Not parts but all.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Intelligence is intelligence
WISDOM IS KNOWING ITS LIMITS.................

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Intelligence is the ability to figure out what you are seeing or sensing. Wisdom is applying intelligence to experience in life. The older you get the wiser you get as long as your ego does not interfere with your ability to rationalize things. Nobody knows everything. Taking information, comparing it to what you know, then evaluating it to conclude a probable Guess as to what is happening is wisdom. If you say something is real because you are taught it is real without thinking of it on your own, you are just parroting information. The government likes parrots, they are easy to train to repeat things. They also call this aping something, monkey see monkey do. If this doesn't work and you think on your own, they consider you skitzo since you are challenging the approved system.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

onequestion

Of course there is. Wisdom can be adulterated, biased, learned, stagnant, indoctrinated and\or plain wrong. Wisdom is just BS. you ever meet anyone that says "I aint tellin' you #" then you know that is intelligence, there is no lying, no BS.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I saw a lot of great replies in your post and my response is you need both. I would look at intelligence as the universe and wisdom is everything that goes on inside it.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

onequestion

Huh?

... ... ...Wha'd he say?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
To me, wisdom is the refinement of intelligence.

Therefore, intelligence comes before wisdom, so yes, you can have intelligence without wisdom.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I always thought the difference between the two was summed up by the following..................

"Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that you don't put it in a fruit salad" !

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I could use another saying..............................

"Intelligence can be a University degree hanging on a wall. Wisdom is knowing how to turn that degree into justifiable employment".

<<   2 >>

join