It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peru-Chile Could Experience Megathrust Quake as Six Quakes Over 6 Mag Strike Area

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Another aftershock just hit, waiting on mag.

Estimate 5.8 to 6.2

That's still showing some energy left in the fault, when it had finally appeared to be dying down. *sigh*
edit on Mon Apr 7th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

EMSC: 5.8
USGS: still waiting... probably a 6 from them.

USGS: 5.8

But there was also two other quakes after that, a 5.0 and another still waiting on.....Hmm. Be safe down there peoples...

EMSC: 5.8, 5.3, 5.0

USGS: 5.8, 5.3, 5.1

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I think EMSC is low, compared to notes I scratched down last week--to compare amplitudes in GEE. My guess is closer to mag 6.1 to 6.2.

ETA: Good morning.

edit on 4/7/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

2nd edit:

USGS also have it as Mag 5.8. If that is their finally answer, then they have some adjusting to do on a couple of Mag 6.2's from April 1st & 3rd.
edit on 4/7/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Looks a bit low to me too, but don't forget exact distance to station. Even 10 kilometers difference that attenuate those waves will drop that magnitude down from a previous one closer.

Then again, you could always ask our newfound seismologist/geologist expert. *chuckle*

lol, EMSC just revised that 5.8 down to a 5.7. You get the feeling they don't like us very much? I do.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I saw this neat animation of the earthquake series offshore Iquique, on the Pacific NW Seismic Network FB page.

It begins on 16 March 2014, the same day as this thread.

From GFZ Potsdam

edit on 4/8/2014 by Olivine because: fix link

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

look up Newton His Life and times,,its hard too find.

edit on 4/8/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I have deleted that M9.7 error that was in Ecuador 1827/11/16, thanks for pointing that out Mike.
and added this 8.2 to the M8+ map (1700 years of data)

edit on 04u999914 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So Chile took a short nap and is now up again?

M6.0 - 84km SW of Iquique

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
TA I want to say one thing. You are AMAZING, not taking anything away from puterman and muzzy, but the amount of time and effort you put into what you do is inspiring.

Regardless of what any haters or non believers say. I have never seen anyone make accurate predictions of location and magnitudemagnitude like you have.

Keep on keeping on brother, you are an amazing part of this community and a huge part of what makes it great.
edit on 04pm84000000041188 by magnum1188 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Thanks to rickymouse for pointing out this article in my other thread on Solomon Islands. But really it should be here:

No All-Clear

Initial analyses conducted by GFZ seismologists have shown that there is no sign that tension in the earth' crust has significantly decreased: "So far tension has been released only in the central section of this vulnerable zone," Oncken further explains. The series of earthquakes began on March 16 with a 6.7-magnitude earthquake. Although the main earthquake with a magnitude of 8.1 broke the central section of the seismic gap of a length of some 100 kilometres, two large segments further north and south remain intact, and these segments are able to cause strong earthquakes with a high risk of ground shaking and tsunamis.Oncken: "This means that the risk of one or even several earthquakes with a magnitude clearly above 8 still exists." Furthermore, the location and magnitude of the aftershocks suggest such a scenario.

Since the main quake struck, hundreds of aftershocks have been registered, the strongest that of April 2 (CEST) of a magnitude of 7.6. This earthquake struck about 100 kilometres south of the main earthquake's epicentre. Together with the its associated aftershocks, it forms a second rupture zone.

www.sciencedaily.com...

More at article.

This provides some more "official" concern over the Chile situation- that it still may not be done. Too bad officials won't take any chances and warn the public with a specific seismic hazard warning. I did. And would have been glad to be wrong. They're warning now though, huh. And a warning doesn't consist of some buried concern in a behind-a-pay-wall scientific document. What I want is for them to call up the emergency management services and say "Look, we have some strong seismicity occurring here, and it's possible they could be foreshocks. Could you please broadcast a warning of some kind to the public via media. Hopefully we are wrong."

HA. No chance in hell of that. Scientists HATE to be wrong.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
(click image for larger version, opens in new tab/window)

or the shorter 30 day version, with labels above M5.6 here

edit on 0400000010610614 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join