It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if enough people refused to pay taxes?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Phage
While most people don't enjoy paying taxes, most understand why we do.

You are wrong. The people who pay taxes that actually make significant deposits are the people who use accountants to minimize tax payments. Liabilities.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This question just proves that the majority of government is a jobs program and the 'economy' is a completely immaterial ( Lol, for it is comprised mainly of materialism tendencies and consumption) abstract entity. Think about how many people the government employs at which removing the taxes/gov spending would cause to lose their jobs, then consider what that would do to the unemployment numbers? How do we fix the economy people ask, I answer, lol, the economy at its basis is a broken system that cant be fixed, there is no end, there is no goal, there is no total winning, only grab what you can when you can, and if you can work and eat you are winning, who cares about the others.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

The people who pay taxes that actually make significant deposits are the people who use accountants to minimize tax payments.
Not sure of your point. I'm not rich and I try to pay no more tax than I should. But the rich actually do "contribute" more than the rest of us. Even though they pay only what is required.

Higher-income households pay much more in federal taxes than do their lower-income counterparts: They have a much greater share of the nation’s before-tax income, and they pay a much larger proportion of that income in taxes. Households in the top quintile (including the top percentile) paid 68.8 percent of all federal taxes, households in the middle quintile paid 9.1 percent, and those in the bottom quintile paid 0.4 percent of federal taxes.
www.cbo.gov...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If everyone stopped paying taxes...
you wouldn't have libraries.
and that's just the start.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Let's assume that you got everyone to go on a tax boycott. Employers not taking any taxes out of employee paychecks, no one paying any income taxes whatsoever.

Here's what would happen.

Federal, state, and local governments would shut down. Police, fire, garbage, sewer... all shut down.

The question is, why would anyone want the downfall of society? I wonder what the obsession is with wanting to cause untold amount of civilian deaths, destruction of our way of life, order, any semblance of safety?

Is your life so boring that you would wish to plunge all of society back into the dark ages once again? Does anyone ever learn anything from history? The dark ages weren't fun.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

HauntWok
Let's assume that you got everyone to go on a tax boycott. Employers not taking any taxes out of employee paychecks, no one paying any income taxes whatsoever.

Here's what would happen.

Federal, state, and local governments would shut down. Police, fire, garbage, sewer... all shut down.

The question is, why would anyone want the downfall of society? I wonder what the obsession is with wanting to cause untold amount of civilian deaths, destruction of our way of life, order, any semblance of safety?

Is your life so boring that you would wish to plunge all of society back into the dark ages once again? Does anyone ever learn anything from history? The dark ages weren't fun.

If that happens, people will wonder why we are sending $429 million to Israel for their iron dome.
And why so much $$$$$$ is spent on military projects when we can no longer afford to support the basic needs of our own people.

THAT'S the point I'm trying to make.
edit on 3/16/2014 by iammrhappy86 because: typo

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by iammrhappy86

Somehow I am suspicious of your motives. The logic is far too flawed I'm afraid. In order for the government to stop spending our taxes on asinine projects outside our country, your idea is to defund all local, state, and federal governments. Compromise the safety of your own countrymen. Throw tens of thousands of people into unemployment. Cost the lives of thousands of your countrymen. Possibly destroying the global civilization as we know it. Just to prove a point?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Nope.

I wasn't suggesting we do that.
Notice the "what if" in the title? Maybe you didn't see it. That's ok.

I was curious as to how it would be handled.

But seriously, you dont see anything wrong with cutting off our own people's supplies before military and foreign expenses? And then blaming the people themselves for it?
While thousands of millions would continue to go overseas and into black projects?

That's ok to you?

Our government does NOT have their priorities straight....
It should ALWAYS be: the people first. Basic needs provided for all, first and foremost.
edit on 3/16/2014 by iammrhappy86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/16/2014 by iammrhappy86 because: typos. well the ones I caught anyway...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I agree that the government's priority should be it's own citizen's first. I think that with political pressure, voting the right people into office, a solid country wide effort to be truly informed on the real issues. Fighting to get special interests and corporate lobbying out of government. Then, you would see a gradual and effective change for the better.

I think it's a much better idea than to destroy the world economy, crumble society into dust, and throw humanity back into the dark ages costing the lives of thousands of people. (and that's before the roving gangs of murderous thugs start roaming the country raping and pillaging the weak, the progressive pandemics of plagues, rampant starvation etc.)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

HauntWok

I agree that the government's priority should be it's own citizen's first. I think that with political pressure, voting the right people into office, a solid country wide effort to be truly informed on the real issues. Fighting to get special interests and corporate lobbying out of government. Then, you would see a gradual and effective change for the better.

I think it's a much better idea than to destroy the world economy, crumble society into dust, and throw humanity back into the dark ages costing the lives of thousands of people. (and that's before the roving gangs of murderous thugs start roaming the country raping and pillaging the weak, the progressive pandemics of plagues, rampant starvation etc.)

Granted, yes.
If we had a fair voting system in place, that would be ideal.

But our two-clone-party system is corrupt as can be.
It'll never make a difference the way the system works currently....

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

And that attitude my friend is why you are right. Why nothing will ever change. The apathy of the informed voter. So, instead of going the non violent route, going for change locally, then state wide, then nationally. Let's just stop paying taxes, throw all of humanity into the dark ages and either join up with a roving murder gang or wait in our nigh impregnable post apocalyptic fortress for the inevitable siege to starve us all to death.

Which is easier?
edit on 16-3-2014 by HauntWok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

I'm not a citizen, so I dont get to vote.

But I do pay taxes...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

juspassinthru

iammrhappy86
If martial law is declared, the people don't stand a chance...

No amount of guns and ammo could withstand our military force. =\

Given the fact that some of our troops participated in drone-missile-shredding a 68 year-old grandmother in a garden (with children), you may be right. The behavior of our troops and NGO's in foreign lands speaks to the future of our country. It does not get much darker or twisted than this.

Given the sheep-like daze that has engulfed our citizenry, I worry for our children and grandchildren.

A big reason "drones" are so appealing to the military...

Much easier to push a button/pull a trigger against something on a screen instead of it standing in front of you.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Reckon we should go back to Trench warfare?, I sure hope not. Think the robot should probably get destroyed and not me thanks. Just seems better that way for some reason.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Bellor
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Reckon we should go back to Trench warfare?, I sure hope not. Think the robot should probably get destroyed and not me thanks. Just seems better that way for some reason.

That was not the point I was making.

I was referring to our own troops taking actions against our own citizens in a marshal law situation.

Its easier from a distance and on a screen.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

aightism2

Honkwoo1486
In the UK we have no choice they take tax before we get our pay so im guessing they would just do to the same to you

in the uk all taxes are compulsory and taken from employers before pay is distributed healthcare included

in America Obamacare is the first step toward this .

What If you were Self Employed in the u.k and offshored you're money to the Isle Of Man ? where tax is 5%

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

Just remember you dont go over your time in UK, come back a day early and youll get nailed for a years tax, up tp you how seriously listen to them, just rent a pad somewhere else.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bellor

years ago the used to call it the Perpetual Traveller trick stay 6 months and pay no tax then move on to the next victim

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

You seem to have mixed up income tax with sales tax. On that note, technically if you are a W4 employee and signed it upon employement, your employer is actually paying the tax via withholdings of your wage.

That said....people generally wont just stop paying a tax. Try telling the next merchant you refuse to pay the sales tax and see where it gets you.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I'd note that the IRS and state tax boards are often quite happy to let naive tax protesters go protest to their hearts joy while not paying a dime in taxes.....for awhile. They'll even let it go a few years, it seems. Nothing altruistic or even negligent about it, and I think you see where I'm going here. Nasty suckers, huh?

What people who haven't dealt with the blood suckers will eventually learn by not paying? They DO come for their money, eventually. Like the mob. They never forget and time is nothing but a passing thing. Business is still business. However, in waiting...'my but what BIG BIG fines they have and interest compounding at rates to drive an accountant into a full nervous breakdown.

Oh my yes.. they will let the unsuspecting tax protester feel like they're on top of the world ...until enough time and interest has passed to put them right under it.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join