It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22, Blue Angel and Thunderbird displays are back for 2014

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I did a quick check and all three seem to have a full schedule slotted for this season. Great news!

I did notice there is no outside U.S. demos planned, at least so far.

It raises the question of all the great static displays and whether they're back on as well.

Also, "fly-bys"?

Anyone have more info on these?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

FYI, everything was back on last year after sequestration ended. As far as scheduling, everything happens at ICAS in December every year. Here's a link to ICAS's website for more information:

www.airshows.aero...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

BoneZ, thanks for the link.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Yea, the Blue Angels are supposed to be at the Cleveland Air Show as well. And while I do love their shows, I often wonder if the payoff is worth it?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big avaition buff...but money wise...hmmmm

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It would cost almost twice as much (if not more when you add aircraft modification costs) to disband them as it does to keep them flying.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Zaphod58

It would cost almost twice as much (if not more when you add aircraft modification costs) to disband them as it does to keep them flying.

You will probably have to explain that one to me. These guys are basically a recruiting tool, and yes, they do show many techniques in air to air combat.

But how would disbanding them actually cost money?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

The aircraft need to be restored to fleet standard, the pilots need to go back through training to get combat, and for the Blue Angels, carrier qualified.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The Sun n Fun fly in starts here in lakeland FL April 1-6. It's the 2nd largest airshow in the country and it's our 40th anniversary. We have both the Blue Angels and the F-22 performing this year, plus I heard maybe a F-16 and F-15 demo. It should be a great show.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Some things can't be measured just in dollars and cents "worth".

Inspiration is one of them. An airshow, for those that love them, is one of them. Sure, recruiting is used for justification for the "expense" of them. However, underlying that is events/experiences outside our normal lives that make us, and our kids, go "wow, look at that!".

Quality time with loved ones, an inspiring movie or book, role models...a great sports occurrence, those are the spark-plugs that ignite passion and drive.

Without them, we would live in a "soulless" society.

Priceless.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

That's true and I do really enjoy a good airshow. I used to go to the EAA Fly-in every year. But the air shows don't seem to be all that great anymore. Probably due to budgetary constraints, both civilian and military. And it costs more every year just to get in and see less than the year before.

Zaph would probably disagree with me on this, but I would like to see the Thunderbirds transition to the F-22 and the Blue Angels to the F-35.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

If anything they'll both end up in -35s. There aren't enough -22s to cut 10 from the fleet and make major modifications to, just for airshow purposes.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

How about the same aircraft as now but with the 22 and 35 as the solo performers?

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I think the same way. Yet, reading your post, I realize that as we get older, it's also harder to "wow" us!

The kids/first timers though that have never seen anything like it before are blown away.

I think I will make it a goal to take someone, preferably a kid, who hasn't seen one every year...

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Still have to pull four out of the fleet. With only 185 left even four modified to non-combat standard can hurt.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the F-22 demo team uses combat-ready line units from the closest base. They go to that base, select a unit, "lube, oil, filter" it and, with no modification expense, save a fair bit of coin and fly those two to the venue of the airshow.

As you say, the 18's and 16's are already configured, keep the solo units as spares and continue using line unit 22s-adding in 35's later for the solo displays.

Not a bad idea...but it is the air force....never happen.LOL.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The solos perform with the Diamond though. How do you overcome that?

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I saw the You Tube video where the 22 flew in formation with the Red Arrows. One could use the 22s in large formations.

Not as symmetric, but, I think it would be cool.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Cool as hell for a one time thing. For a full season, no way. The idea is the pilots are interchangable for one thing. Then you have a HUGÈ logistical problem, because now you have to carry spares for two radically different types, plus skin panels, etc. You just almost doubled the size of the team for the cool factor.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Now I'm confused...again. LOL. If they continue rotating airframes from different bases with the 22s, why any more logistics than now with the 22 demos.

Seems like same difference??

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

There is no way an F-22 pilot from a line unit can just strap on a jet one day and fly formation with the Thunderbirds. They train for months before they get to fly a show. They have to know and trust everyone on the team without reservation, and react instantly to commands.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join