It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Comet: C/2014 E2 (JACQUES)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Here's another time lapse I shot last night of the comet with the Mallincam (55 minute timelapse, ending with the comet setting behind a pine tree):

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
A stunning new image from Rolando Ligustri, showing a large (roughly 240,000 km wide) coma, with a characteristic green hue due to diatomic Carbon.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Ooooooo!

Quite beautiful!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

rickymouse

Wrabbit2000
Never fear, the end is near!

There! Another customer coming to bring us change for a bad experience!

Seriously... I do find it interesting how the Governments are suddenly in a heightened state of alert for flying things in space. Hopefully it's just a 'better late than never' catch up to what really should have been done all this time....but I can't help but wonder too. I'll be interested in seeing where this little guy is off to in such a hurry.

They need to keep an eye on the things that fly for a long time so they can find out how to keep the jets from falling into the ocean.
Seems that the government should hire astronomers to track aircraft.

Oh my god Ricky!!!!! I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, because I would've ruined my monitor!!!!

How true.......how true.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's growing! I have a feeling it will turn out to be a fairly bright and beautiful comet.

Image by Damian Peach, taken April 1st 2014: www.damianpeach.com...

And it was only discovered less that one month ago!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

ngchunter
Here's some info on the orbit. It's not going to be a spectacular naked eye comet. "Very bright" meaning magnitude 11, which is still far too dim to see by eye, but to a telescope it's an easy target. It's a southern hemisphere comet which is probably why it wasn't discovered until now, normally comets are found by at least magnitude 14-15 or so; this is what you get when you stop funding for the Siding Spring Survey. Who knows what near earth asteroids are being missed in the southern hemisphere as a result.

www.itelescope.net...

Even though it's a southern hemisphere comet, one of the perks of living in Florida is that much of the southern celestial sphere is available to us. I plan to photograph this comet this weekend if the weather holds.

Which part of Florida are you in? I don't have a telescope (yet) but I take my binoculars down to the beach almost every other day when the skies are clear. It's really relaxing to lay out next to the ocean and just watch the sky.

Hopefully this comet get's bright enough so that even those without the tools required will be able to see it. Here's to hoping.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Wow, what a beautiful comet

You're a lucky lot there in florida when you can observe JACQUES.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Talliostro

Yeah, being this far south has its benefits. I need to get a new focal reducer so I can shoot the comet again with my new CCD camera.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join