It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Archeologists Lie? New England’s Ancient Stone Chambers Revealed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Johnny you are probably correct, but I still think there is more than a grain of truth to it, all ancient cultures including the judeo christian have tale's of ancient giant's but it would have been incredibly awkward for a nation which was using the brainwashing the masses technique of portraying the native's as subhuman animals whom had to be wiped out so that civilized people could go and take the land to have to explain how these sub humans had built great city's, the spanish in south america did not have the same technique and most south american have native ancestry though mixed with european settlers, indeed many meso american city's were large and more sophisticated than the city's these european's came from but they never had the gun.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

lovebeck

Caver78
Not to wander too far off topic but most down here don't know about the Canadian Serpent Mound, sadly everyone runs off to Ohio like it's the beat-all-end-all. We came across the Canadian site in the mid 90's and it's quite a place! Also accidentally found this on a map, and it's also an interesting place but just as little known.

www.pc.gc.ca...

Have you been to the Serpent Mound in Ohio? I've been to quite a few mounds and must say that there is definitely something "different" about it.

And by different, I mean amazing, in a uniquely-weird-it's-in-the-middle-of-no-where kind of way.

The one thing that is "different" about Serpent Mound in Ohio,
is that it is inside an ancient meteorite crater.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

.than anything resembling either truth or science. Just so's ya know, eh?

Johnny, you sound pretty sure. Can you say how it is you are so sure what the
truth is?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

randyvs

.than anything resembling either truth or science. Just so's ya know, eh?

Johnny, you sound pretty sure. Can you say how it is you are so sure what the
truth is?
I've got a pretty good idea of what the truth ain't. Further, as an historian and and archaeologist, I run in those circles and nothing has emerged beyond the odd ghost story. Sure, I'm in Canada...but since when does a modern-day international border matter to 'ancient giants'? They oughtta be scattered all over the landscape, n'est-ce pas? Show me one.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I really don't think making stone structures or snow men or sand castles shows signs of an 'Advanced intelligence' civilization.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
You may find this interesting. stonehengeusa.com...

Also read Barry Fell's book America BC. In it, arguments are presented that make the Vikings late comers.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

've got a pretty good idea of what the truth ain't. Further, as an historian and and archaeologist, I run in those circles and nothing has emerged beyond the odd ghost story. Sure, I'm in Canada...but since when does a modern-day international border matter to 'ancient giants'? They oughtta be scattered all over the landscape, n'est-ce pas? Show me one.

See, now aren't you glad I asked?
I am, cause you already had
my respect without the new info. Any thoughts on Love lock cave Nevada?
edit on Ram31314v212014u15 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I used to hunt and fish in the Copper country, up around Houghton Michigan. There are a lot of weird mound like things in the woods up there. There are also a lot of old copper mine shafts in the woods. I stayed clear of them because there were always signs of animals inhabiting them. It doesn't have to be a bear to be dangerous, A skunk can make you wish you never entered the cave. These old mine holes are dangerous when you snowshoe in the woods in the winter, rabbit hunting. The dog goes in the woods, you stay on the trails. I'm sure there are probably a few skeletons in those holes. Sometimes these holes are full of water, avoiding water filled holes is a good thing. Don't assume it is just a big puddle when hunting and walk through it.

I never figured these holes to be really old when I was a kid. I had never even heard of mounds before. There were mineshaft vents out in the woods also. I figured old people or the Indians were just chasing veins of copper into the ground.

These ancient structures could have been made into root cellers very easily by the settlers, why dig one when an existing one can be remodeled. I'd do that if I were them, if I found one myself on my property I would turn it into a mancave, complete with a well stocked bar and a building on top to cover the doorway. These things would make excellent wine cellers, I wonder how many have been converted and modified in the past to store wine?

Hiding in plain sight.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

randyvs

've got a pretty good idea of what the truth ain't. Further, as an historian and and archaeologist, I run in those circles and nothing has emerged beyond the odd ghost story. Sure, I'm in Canada...but since when does a modern-day international border matter to 'ancient giants'? They oughtta be scattered all over the landscape, n'est-ce pas? Show me one.

See, now aren't you glad I asked?
I am, cause you already had
my respect without the new info. Any thoughts on Love lock cave Nevada?

I'll take that one,

Edit
According to the Paiutes, the Si-Te-Cah were red-haired band of cannibalistic giants.[1] The Si-Te-Cah and the Paiutes were at war, and after a long struggle a coalition of tribes trapped the remaining Si-Te-Cah in Lovelock Cave. When they refused to come out, the Indians piled brush before the cave mouth and set it aflame. The Si-Te-Cah were annihilated.

Sarah Winnemucca Hopkins, daughter of Paiute Chief Winnemucca, wrote about what she described as "a small tribe of barbarians" who ate her people in her book Life Among the Piutes: Their Wrongs and Claims - she wrote that "after my people had killed them all, the people round us called us Say-do-carah. It means conqueror; it also means "enemy." "My people say that the tribe we exterminated had reddish hair. I have some of their hair, which has been handed down from father to son. I have a dress which has been in our family a great many years, trimmed with the reddish hair. I am going to wear it some time when I lecture. It is called a mourning dress, and no one has such a dress but my family."[2] Hopkins does not mention giants.

Lovelock cave I not the only site in the area that has produced mummies. Some of the remains have been taller than extant native Americans from the area, but are hardly giants, in the classical sense. Like the article states early sensationalists used cave bear and other large bones found nearby as proof of giants.
That being said native California mythology has two distinct giant motifs, and those motifs have become somewhat intertwined as time has passed.
One motif is that there is a "cannibal giant" that kidnaps and eats people, ie. Bigfoot, these stories are prevalent among forest dwelling tribes , he is known as Yayali among the miwok, myak datat to the souther yokut. The miwok tell of killing the last giant near a place that is called Devil's Gulch.
The other motif more prevalent among among the shoshoneans, the mono and piute, is a tale of a tribe of red haired cannibals.
The term Si Te Cah means tule eater, which is very telling as the earliest people of the basin area lived along the shores of the many pluvial lakes that filled the valleys of Nevada at the end of the last ice age, and subsisted on tule rushes and waterfowl from the lakes.
The mono have a take of an ancient chief who gathered the local tribes together to go north and fight, but the way was blocked by ice. In one version of the story they go norh to fight the cannibals.
Also the red hair may be from the mummies having been covered in red ochre upon burial.
And to just add a little something ATS worthy, he red hair gene first shows up in Homo Heidelbergesis/homo denisova. And some specimens of HH were very tall, and they were practicing cannibals that used red ochre when buryingng the dead.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

Superb, I copied everything you wrote to my notes.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

pteridine
Also read Barry Fell's book America BC. In it, arguments are presented that make the Vikings late comers.
The best line I ever heard on the subject came from one of my principal archaeology profs..."As an epigrapher, Barry Fell was one heck of a marine biologist!"

I can't read Fell...too much blatent hooey. I hold a lot more stock with Farley Mowat's "The Farfarers", even though it remains speculative. wiki
edit on 13-3-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

randyvs
Any thoughts on Love lock cave Nevada?
I found this item fairly early on, on a site called 'Skeptoid'. It looks like a pretty well-reasoned analysis and if these points are true, they seem to lay the myths to rest. Link I'll see what's in the academic literature, though.
Cheers, JC

Try this...Link
edit on 13-3-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: of new data.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Very handsome links indeed.
Human occupation of the cave went on for 4000 yrs.
I'm always amazed by our past and how intelligent the people
who lived it had to be, just to survive.

Thanks Johnny
edit on Rpm31314v592014u39 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

irgust
reply to post by AlaskanDad

There is one just like it in Cahokia Ill. and it is also called the serpent mound.

I think the elephant in the room is that somebody was building these huge serpents mounds all over N America. Enki is represented by the serpent (among other things), maybe that is his territory?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

bottleslingguy

irgust

There is one just like it in Cahokia Ill. and it is also called the serpent mound.

I think the elephant in the room is that somebody was building these huge serpents mounds all over N America. Enki is represented by the serpent (among other things), maybe that is his territory?
I think it does our First Nations a disservice to attribute their cultural symbology to Old World beliefs. Besides, the time frames are way out of whack. Sometimes it's just a snake, eh?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by LABTECH767

Those 'giant tales' of late 19th century America have a whole lot more to do with
a) Selling newspapers;
b) Justifying screwing Native Americans out of their lands &
c) Trying to account for North America and its original inhabitants, which are inconveniently not accounted for in the Bible
...than anything resembling either truth or science. Just so's ya know, eh?

hmm interesting seeing part of those Giants claims in the 19th century in The North country of New york ( ST Lawrence County ) My area that the Natives themselves have claimed the Legend let alone The Little People yes reservation around the area On both sides of the Countries Canada Ontario Quebec and Upstate New Your ( North Country ) and have Claimed

Even From My Own Area of Akwesasne has those Legends and Claims of Giants and Claims of Shape Shifters and Were Beasts as The WereWolf A.K.A. Limikkin even the French Quebecker's and Ontario have Claimed A.K.A. le Loup Garou

The Reservations of Northern New York and Near Ontario Canada are More Supernatural then you Think

THO!! those Giants may of Been Weetucks or Maushops Possibly what we call a Big Foot? Hominid ?

( talks of Mounds and Giants ) in Wisconsin
A giant mystery: 18 strange giant skeletons found in Wisconsin: Sons of god; Men of renown
Kristan Harris
SouthMilwaukeeNow
Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:30 CST
atrueott.wordpress.com...

Hmm Interesting is this Picture a Hoax ?

Lake Delavan, Wisconsin Skulls ( From a 1912 Newspaper The New York Times )

SKELETONS WITH HUGE SKULLS UNCOVERED La
greaterancestors.com...

So i guess there allot of Weird things going on around the the Ancient Mounds of Wisconsin !

Long Ago back in the late 19th Century in a Few States of America. /// JohnnyCanuck as you have Said .
as it look these Newspaper article's go a long way of Effort , for your thinking of a giant Hoax's Claim Just to get Attention to the Public
to get Native American Land?

Indian Legends of Giants
History of Muskingum County Ohio 1882
thenephilimchronicles.blogspot.com...

Adena Hopewell's, Dunlap, Hopeton, and Cedar Banks Earthworks in Ross County, Ohio
A Standard History of Ross County, Ohio 1917

Here was a seat of the Mound Builders densest population. A section of tweleve miles of the Scioto Valley, having as its central point the City of Chillicothe, exhibits ten groups of large works, accompanied by a great number of mounds. Within one enclosure, "Mound City," there are twenty-four tumuli, and the wole surface of the country round about may he said to be dotted with them. Of the ten enclosures which appear in this comparatively small territory, four have 2 1/2 miles of embankments each, and two of them enclose an area of 100 acres apiece, while the others embrace areas of no small magnitude.

Giant Osage Indian Skeletons Unearthed in Illinois Burial Mounds

Prehistoric Battlefield Yields 100,000 Giant Neanderthal Looking Skulls in Kansas
Fort Wayne Sentinel, (Fort Wayne, Indiana) November 28, 1897
Fought Ages Ago

and what the OP video Shows

Skeletons of 8 Foot Woman and 9 foot Men at Ohio's Serpent Mound
Skeletons of 8 Foot Women and 9 Foot Men at Ohio's Serpent Mound
Several burial mounds are excavated near Ohio' s famous Serpent Mound revealing women who were over 8 feet in height when alive and me that exceeded 9 feet.
St. Joseph Herald (St. Joseph, Michigan,) September 9, 1880
Ancient American Giants

Holocaust of Giants
The Great Smithsonian Cover-up

www.xpeditionsmagazine.com...

>?>
Si-Te-Cah
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 13-3-2014 by Wolfenz because: Holocaust of Giants

edit on 13-3-2014 by Wolfenz because: Si-Te-Cah

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Why do they lie? Because if they don't do what they are told and lie to us, their funding will be cut.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

In the contact between N. America and Europe well before Columbus and even Viking argument (though pre-historic, 30,000+ BPE contact is gaining credence from matching artifact types on both sides of the Atlantic) one of the best finds are the Tucson Artifacts, or Calalus Artifacts.

A group of lead ceremonial objects were found in 1924 imbedded in caliche' that has since been pretty satisfactorily dated to 800 A.D. which is a date etched onto one of the pieces.

Translated, one piece with extensive Latin writing tells of a group of Jews under a king names Theodoric who crossed the ocean and wrecked where we can guess is the Gulf of Mexico and settled in the Tucson, AZ basin after an arduous journey across TX and New Mexico, beset by native Americans.

No one disputes they weren't found as claimed, i.e. imbedded in the caliche... the only dispute was that ships at that time weren't thought to have been able to cross, thus it was impossible and thus it was a planted hoax by someone in more recent times (and the finder was suspected though he swore to his death he hadn't hoaxed a thing).

Why someone would bury 20+ lead items with period correct writing deep in desert cement literally miles from anything, somehow imbedding them at the historically/geologically right depth just to fool some future persons is a good question.

Recent dating of the accretions on the objects support their 1200 year old age and even the mine where the lead came from has been located a few miles away.

Anyway, a good find that few know about and are sitting in the AZ historical society.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Darkmask
Why do they lie? Because if they don't do what they are told and lie to us, their funding will be cut.
That's crap. Academe is full of bright, enthusiastic grad students just aching to make their marks with new discoveries. All they have to do is prove it! The very fact that concepts of the peopling of the America's are currently in flux confirms just that.

I don't know why people insist upon taking dubious 19th century news items as gospel, when there are readily demonstrable rationales for their fakery. But you know what? Fill yer boots! It's way easier to absorb these hoaxes than to get out and actually practice archaeology and do the required research. I am a layman, but I have qualified myself to be provincially licenced to do the real thing.

It beats trolling the internet for Bravo Sierra and declaring it to be science. Mind you...you've got to get a little dirt under your fingernails, but it beats carpel tunnel.

quick edit to add...you can lead a horse to water and all that. On the other hand, in the words of the Prophet:
"Don't step in that, Wilbur..."

edit on 13-3-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: I'm annoyed.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
as i know this is about Ancient Mounds

But as the OP 's Video talk about Mounds with Remains of what we call Giants along side them

The Pic Ive just recently just Posted

The Indian Giant

I needed to Find Out More about it as this Could Easily be a Hoax like the Famous Cardiff Giant

Well I found a little more about it how Authentic Accurate IDK

Giant Human Nephilim Mummified Remains Uncovered in California
The World, October 7, 1895

tnephilim.blogspot.com...

As to the accuracy in the estimate there can no question, as the cadaver has been carefully inspected and measured by Prof. Thomas Wilson, Curator of the Department of Prehistoric Anthropology in the Smithsonian Institution, and by other scientists. The tapeline even now registers the length from heel to top of the head at eight feet four inche

The mummy is that of an Indian and is almost certainly prehistoric, though its age cannot be determined with any sort of accuracy. Historical records of the part of California where it was found go back for at least 250 years, and they make no mention of any man of gigantic stature. How much older the body may be must be left open to conjecture. Its preservation, its preservation is no matter of surprise, in that arid region the atmospheric conditions are such that a corpse buried in the dry season might very well become perfectly desiccated before the arrival of the rains, and thus be rendered permanently proof against decay. The body was found in a cave by a party of prospectors. Over the head are the remnants of a leather hood. The man was well advanced in years.

This is the actual photo that was used in the newspaper article. Note how the mummy's arms are folded and how the man on the right is mimicking the pose. Unfortunately, the article mentions the Smithsonian which means the giant has been lost or destroyed. It is also important to note the symmetry of the mummy, whose gigantic size does not appear to be the result of Gigantism or any other of the physical dysfunction that archaeologists immediately hypothesize.

BUT~~ there a BUT

While Researching Above !!^^^^^

I Found this !!

A Slightly Different Video Originally on the TED Site
Giants of Ancient America/ The mound builders

From the TED Site!!

Talking about WHY!! They Removed the Video from the Internet

Stone Builders, Mound Builders and the Giants of Ancient America

It is with great regret that I must remove Jim Vieira’s TEDx talk video: Stone Builders, Mound Builders and the Giants of Ancient America from the internet.

At 2:03 — You claim: “These structures are so staggering that people don’t even think they exist still.” In fact, there is a general archaeological consensus about the impressive civilization demonstrated by the moundbuilders in Cahokia and similar sites.
At 4:05 — You claim: “The moundbuilders who built all kinds of structures.” All evidence for the moundbuilders’ architecture suggests that they built with sod packets and wood.
At 4:19 — You mention carbon-dating but do not specify what was carbon-dated. You cannot carbon-date stone. Again at 6:00. At 7:26 — You mention Mayan theories. Since the recent deciphering of almost the full Mayan script, the astronomical preoccupation attributed to Mayan writings has been largely discredited. Most of the numbers found in the Mayan script are now believed to be dates of births, coronations and wars.
At 9:15 — You share newspaper clippings from the 19th century, including quotes from Abraham Lincoln, and claim they are evidence of giants. In fact, as one of our experts writes, “Skeletal hoaxes were common in the 19th century (e.g., Piltdown Man, the Cardiff Giant, and Barnum & Bailey Fiji mermaids [now at Harvard's Peabody Museum]). If (and this is a big if) the 8-foot skeleton is real, it could be a case of medical gigantism, but it is more likely a case of exaggeration.”

Just Showing 5 out of the 9

And it Explains the Reason in time elapse Sections of the Video

Tho.

if you look at the thought of the 50 People when you Scroll Down

50 thoughts on “Jim Vieira’s talk removed from Internet”

Quite a Few are Displeased for its Removal ...

interesting to say the Least .

I think it time to go to every Ancient Mound in North America and Use the Technology we have today !

Using Methods of underground detection of objects like GPR to find them

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join