It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Becomes First State in History to Pass the Convention of States Application

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Earlier this afternoon, Georgia become the first state in American history to pass the Convention of States application to limit the power and jurisdiction of the federal government.

The House voted to approve the Senate’s version of the resolution by a vote of 107-58.

“I am pleased that the Georgia legislature has given voice to the frustrations of millions of Georgians,” said State Sen. Cecil Staton (R-Macon), the resolution’s primary sponsor. “Enough is enough. It is time to impose fiscal and other restraints on our runaway federal government. We urge other states to join us.”

“We Georgians have become the hope of the Nation today,” said Jacqueline Peterson, the Georgia State Director for the Convention of States Project. “Many thanks to our State Legislators for standing for Liberty. May God bless us, every single one!”

Our deepest thanks go to our volunteers in Georgia. They took a stand for self-governance, and history will remember what happened in Georgia today. Because they decided to write a letter, make a call, attend a hearing, or meet with their state representative, they can tell their children and grandchildren they made a difference in the fight to preserve liberty.

We expect many more states to follow Georgia’s lead in the months ahead. These are historic times—I encourage you to remember this day and what it will mean for the future of our great country.

www.conventionofstates.com...

Wow. Just wow. OFFICIAL demand for a Constitutional Convention!

The Wiki entry for this lists it as a class V, dated March 6, 2014:
en.wikipedia.org...

Fiscal restraints on the federal government, limiting the power and jurisdiction of the federal government, and limiting the terms of office of federal officials including members of Congress

The text of the PDF:

Senate Resolution 736
By: Senators Staton of the 18th, Shafer of the 48th, Chance of the 16th, Miller of the 49th, Hill of the 32nd and others

ADOPTED SENATE A RESOLUTION

Applying for a convention of the states under Article V of the United States Constitution; and for other purposes.

WHEREAS, the founders of the Constitution of the United States empowered state legislators to be guardians of liberty against future abuses of power by the federal government; and

WHEREAS, the federal government has created a crushing national debt through improper and imprudent spending; and

WHEREAS, the federal government has invaded the legitimate roles of the states through the manipulative process of federal mandates, most of which are unfunded to a great extent; and

WHEREAS, the federal government has ceased to live under a proper interpretation of the Constitution of the United States; and

WHEREAS, it is the solemn duty of the states to protect the liberty of our people, particularly for the generations to come, by proposing amendments to the Constitution of the United States through a convention of the states under Article V of the United States Constitution to place clear restraints on these and related abuses of power.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF GEORGIA that the General Assembly of the State of Georgia hereby applies to Congress, under the provisions of Article V of the Constitution of the United States, for the calling of
a convention of the states limited to proposing amendments to the United States Constitution that impose fiscal restraints on the federal government, limit the power and jurisdiction of the federal government, and limit the terms of office for its officials and for members of Congress.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this application shall be deemed an application for a convention to address each or all of the subjects herein stated. For the purposes of determining whether two-thirds of the states have applied for a convention addressing any
of the subjects stated herein, this application is to be aggregated with the applications of any other state legislatures for the single subjects of balancing the federal budget, limiting the power and jurisdiction of the federal government, or limiting the terms of federal officials.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Secretary of the Senate is hereby directed to transmit copies of this application to the President and Secretary of the United States Senate and to the Speaker and Clerk of the United States House of Representatives, to transmit copies to the members of the United States Senate and United States House of Representatives from this state, and to transmit copies hereof to the presiding officers of each of the legislative houses in the several states, requesting their cooperation.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this application constitutes a continuing application in accordance with Article V of the Constitution of the United States until the legislatures of at least two-thirds of the several states have made applications on the same subject.

So apparently, Georgia is seeking for other states to follow in passing demands for a con-con on similar subject matter.
Upon reaching two-thirds of states, Congress is REQUIRED to organize the convention.

But beware of sneaky, tyrannical hands. How many times have we seen unrelated legislation pass on a bill, that has nothing to do with the main legislation? Well the same thing could happen here, if the Convention is called. They might try to further limit, or even abolish, the 2nd Amendment, for example. The states must be extremely careful not to let the wolf wrap itself in sheep's clothing.

If this landslides into a States movement with real teeth, everybody is going to want their little piece of the pie. Backroom deals will no doubt be rampant. And the Left will no doubt fight this to the bitter end, considering the subject matter of Georgia's call.

But all hail Georgia, in this case. They are trying to stop the monster.

edit on Mon Mar 10th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Wow! this is impressive! Starred and flagged!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Nice... We should exercise caution though and not rush into this blind.

The ability to amend the Constitution in this manner could have unintended side effects. While the bulk will propose good, decent and honorable ideas, I can also see that setup being used to strip even more away from the states / people for those wanting control.

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”

“A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin, when asked what type of government was selected

We did not do to good the first time around.. If we do it a second time lets try and get it right.

Either or I support the move - S & F

edit on 10-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Well, it looks like acts of secession are going on all over the place to a greater or lesser extent! People are reclaiming their voices.
No wonder TPTB/banks are getting jittery .......

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

angelchemuel
Well, it looks like acts of secession are going on all over the place to a greater or lesser extent! People are reclaiming their voices.
No wonder TPTB/banks are getting jittery .......

Rainbows
Jane

We are collapsing JUST LIKE the Soviet Union did. To see pictures of our once great cities as compared to 30 years ago. And the massive lowering in diposable incomes and the poverty, the poverty is outrageous.

The USA will also split into smaller states like the former USSR. Cascadia, Aztlan, etc.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Xcathdra
Nice... We should exercise caution though and not rush into this blind.

The ability to amend the Constitution in this manner could have unintended side effects. While the bulk will propose good, decent and honorable ideas, I can also see that setup being used to strip even more away from the states / people for those wanting control.

edit on 10-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

profoundly so.

The USA imho is no more, at 38yrs old I see a completely different country, it is so far gone now.

And how can amending something help? If people don't abide by the spirit and words written on the former, how would a new version of society be any different.

Corruption is the root foundation and those most corrupt have all the wealth.
edit on 10-3-2014 by HanzHenry because: bb

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

It just goes to prove, not just in the US, but Europe etc that big isn't better. People are feeling disconnected from their roots and community. They are fed up with big corp, pharma,banks etc. They are getting to the point where they have had enough of having their freedoms eroded away. And when they see the governments spending the money they have 'put in the pot' from their hard earned money being spent on further destruction in other countries, when logic alone tells them that money would be better spent at home to improve their community....of course this is going to snowball.

Not wanting to derail the thread, but I would like to show something that has come to light over the upcoming Scottish independence referendum in September.....basically secession.

Scotland's Kremlin-gate: Did Cameron seek Putin's aid to rubbish Scottish independence?

[url]http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/16322227-scotlands-kremlin-gate-did-uk-prime-minister-seek-putins-aid-to-rubbish-scottish-independence[ /url]

Hardly any wonder Westminster is not putting any sanctions in place over Russias stance over the Ukraine. There is a lot more going on with 'the boys in the backrooms'......and they are panicking IMHO.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Arizona might be next. It was narrowly defeated at 26-32. Wondering more about other states, to even areas instead of just states. I'd favor a Cascadia-like idea(adding in my states top half, and not adding Canada, I guess) over separate states in the area, because of how mine is divided north and south.
edit on 10-3-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
this probably won't go much further than the deep southern u.s. and maybe arizona, lots of noise but little to show for it except local candidates saying 'elect me and you'll have your convention'. public relations and pats on the back for those who voted for it in georgia, not much else.

-- e.e. aleister

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

didnt Tyt's wolfpac already get 10states to do this?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

wow so you want the corrupt system to continue?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Nice...

S&F

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
People are waking up to this......

Wont be long before the reaction becomes this....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

It just goes to prove, not just in the US, but Europe etc that big isn't better.

I agree that bigger isn't necessarily better.

In Europe we are seeing increasing pressure towards full political union in the EU, despite the wishes of large numbers of people in most of the nation states affected.

And the Ukraine is a classic example.

The Ukraine broke away from the former USSR and became an independent nation in its own right. Russia was perfectly happy with that arrangement as long as it had continued access to its Black Sea fleet in Crimea.
The problems arose when elements within the Ukraine wished to seek closer links to the EU which would clearly result in eventual political union with the EU.

It seems that there maybe a move towards fragmentation of the US which is driven by the dictatorial nature of the central, federal government - a lesson we in Europe should take heed of.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Georgia reminds me of the girl suing her parents for college funds and living expenses. We want to do as we please but keep paying our bills for us. If Georgia really wanted to lead other states then make an example and pay your own way instead of begging the government for so much aid. They are part of the reason why we have so much debt because the government has to take care of their people instead of Georgia taking care of them themselves. So until they so this anything they pass against the governments spending is just a joke.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

If they stick to the subjects of balancing the federal budget, limiting the power and jurisdiction of the federal government, and/or limiting the terms of federal officials. They should be fine. I would even go for a revocation of NDAA and especially the Patriot Act. That being said they will require watching, very closely, by the people, because if they attempt to modify the bill of rights, especially the first and second amendments, this could spark an uprising. Constitutional or not most gun owners will not willingly give up the right to defend themselves, or the right to speak their mind, nor should they.

Star and Flag OP with qualifications.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Well as a resident of Ga I believe that any state resident should stop paying the over bloated and corrupted Federal Government with our taxes and keep all taxes collected to the states.

Remember that when a state ask for help from the federal government we have to understand that is Federal taxes taken from the state workers to feed the federal state.

edit on 10-3-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

buster2010
Georgia reminds me of the girl suing her parents for college funds and living expenses. We want to do as we please but keep paying our bills for us. If Georgia really wanted to lead other states then make an example and pay your own way instead of begging the government for so much aid. They are part of the reason why we have so much debt because the government has to take care of their people instead of Georgia taking care of them themselves. So until they so this anything they pass against the governments spending is just a joke.

How about we try taking care of ourselves and not depending on the government?
If you are not TRULY disabled or a senior citizen then you should not recieve anything from the government.
The US has become a huge Nanny state. Sadly, it's set up so that if you get on the government teat, it's hard to get off. Many start to feel entitled and look forward to their next hand out.
We need to get back to self responsibility and taking care of your own.

Good job Georgia! Hope more follow your lead!
S&F
Quad

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

marg6043
reply to post by buster2010

Well as a resident of Ga I believe that any state resident should stop paying the over bloated and corrupted Federal Government with our taxes and keep all taxes collected to the states.

Remember that when a state ask for help from the federal government we have to understand that is Federal taxes taken from the state workers to feed the federal state.

edit on 10-3-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

Seeing how your state gets back way more than it pays in then your state isn't carrying it's weight. So your state needs to step up to plate and start taking care of your own people instead expecting the government to take care of it's citizens. My state receives far less than we pay in so why should my tax dollars take care of your state because your state fails to pay it's bills?
edit on 10-3-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Quadrivium

buster2010

How about we try taking care of ourselves and not depending on the government?
If you are not TRULY disabled or a senior citizen then you should not recieve anything from the government.
The US has become a huge Nanny state. Sadly, it's set up so that if you get on the government teat, it's hard to get off. Many start to feel entitled and look forward to their next hand out.
We need to get back to self responsibility and taking care of your own.

Good job Georgia! Hope more follow your lead!
S&F
Quad

That is what I said I couldn't have made it any plainer. Georgia needs to take care of their people instead of relying on the government. And until they do that stop whining about government spending when they are part of the problem. There are many states that get back far less than they pay in.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join